Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas, constipation , nausea, pain and what else?

My surgery is coming up on 2/23. I have really been looking forward to it. The more I read it seems many people have major issues with gas, Constipation, nausea, pain ,etc... There has to be some ways to combat some of these things. I sometimes get gas up in my chest and can eat a couple of antacids and that takes cre of it in minutes. Constipation I would guess is lack of Fiber. What are you taking for that? Metamucil maybe? Nausea, I am guessing the doc will prescribe something for that.Pain, I am sure I will get some pain pills. What else do I have to look forward to? I appreciate everyone's insight and realize each journey is a little different. I am also having a lapband removed thank God. I am really going to get fter this and do this the right way. I hope to lose 80- 100 pounds nd belive I can do tht in less thn a year I am currently about 305 and 6 feet tall with a large frame and lift weights. I weighed 210 when I got married and that was a really good weight for me at that time. I am thinking if I can land somewhere in that 210 range that should be good gol weight for me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am three months post VSG and the pain I encountered was from the gas. I was able to walk and use some peppermint oil in tea but mostly I would say, the more you are able to walk the less you will be hindered by the gas pain. Pain from the actual surgery wan not bad at all for me. I used regular Tylenol that was in the powdered form straight from Walmart for a couple of days on and off but nothing major at all.....

Constipation was a bugger! I had issues with that until I was able to eat some solid foods. I learned that fluids, walking and prayers ( and a few cuss words) got me by! I really don't have many answers for the constipation because I think that really varies from person to person, some people have the opposite problem. After I got to solids I was able to get my bowels moving a little better and got into a routine and for the past 5 or 6 weeks I haven't had any issues.

I really think if a person goes into this with a good solid state of mind and keeps moving, remembers that pain medication is a tool but causes constipation and a few other nasty side affects (try to limit them if you can), keep the fluids rolling, stay to the diet your surgeon gives you, I believe you will soar right through recovery!!

Good luck and congrats!

Walking is best to relieve the gas. I didn't take anything for the Constipation and it worked itself out. I believe if I had gone on much longer without a bowel movement, my surgeon would have recommended dulcolax, not fiber. Anti-nausea meds especially the day of surgery and the day after.

I’m 4 weeks out nausea in the beginning. They prescribed anti nausea pills that melt under the tongue. Worked instantly for me. I’ve had very little gas. No vomiting or diarrhea. Constipation for sure - but Milk of Magnesium seems to work well on stomach. Follow dietitians instructions and you’ll be a- ok! 🙂. Congrats- you got this!