Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking fluids

I was just wondering how long until you where able to actually drink Water properly? I feel like I am still just sipping at my water all day and having a hard time getting what I need in. Would love to be able to chug a full glass of water again so I can be sure I am having enough in a day. At the same time, nervous to push it and end up sick again.

I've never been one to really "chug" Water, but within the first month, I wasn't limited to slow sipping anymore, and within 2-3 months, I could drink relatively normally. It's still slightly uncomfortable if I try to drink really fast, but I'm 6.5 months out now and have very little trouble drinking enough water. I have noticed that when I drink warm drinks, I sometimes either drink too fast or perhaps the way I sip makes me swallow some air and I get a little discomfort in my stomach, but it's not too bad and it goes away quickly.

I still go pretty slowly at 21 months post surgery. Can do one or two mouthfuls now but swallow with a breaks between. It’s painful if I swallow too quickly or have more than the one or two mouthfuls at a time.

That is the one thing I actually miss still from before I had my surgery. On a hot day I would fill a large glass of Water and chug the whole thing down and then fill it again and chug it again. I had my surgery ~4.5 years ago and I still cannot drink all that much water at a time. I can drink maybe 6-8oz of water at once but it makes me feel very full and uncomfortable so I do not do that. I think it's probably better to not wait so long in between drinks and then drink tons of water all at once anyway.

Having a low-pressure pouch as a bypasser, I am happy I can drink relatively normally. In the beginning I was worried it was too easy (as in "is my pouch too big?") but once I understood I'm not actually supposed to be all that restricted, I've chilled out.

From day 4-5 or so I've been able to drink relatively easily, and I seem to have zero problems drinking a quarter liter at once (8-9oz) without pushing anything. I mean, it goes right through my pouch, so.

Thanks for the input all.

I had VSG on Monday. I’m really trying to get my Water in, but with room temperature water, it’s like my stomach spasms when it hits it. Does warm water work better for right after surgery?