Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pleaseeeeee I am desperate!, I am going bald! I can see my scalp!, anyone witht the same problem? Thanks 😭 😭

One of the reviews for it was from a WLS patient who said this Shampoo and conditioner was the only thing that worked. I haven't gotten to the Hair loss phase yet, but I started using it and my hair has never been so thick or grown so fast. The Biotin supplement helps support your hair, the saw palmetto blocks the process that makes your hair shed. btw- I only use the shampoo/ conditioner ~2x per week. Take the supplements every day.

Edited by Suzi_the_Q

I have battled Hair loss for the last year since my surgery. Mine was a double whammy of post pregnancy hair loss with post surgery hair loss... it was scary for a while. The worst was between 3-6 months after surgery. Since then it’s been a constant shed but I have tons of regrown... which is good except I look ridiculous with my hair back because all the new growth just hangs down all the way around my head lol.
I took Biotin throughout so no idea if that helped me from losing more. I find now (one year post op) Iron supplement every other day seem to help with the hair loss.
good luck to you!

although some people claim certain products have helped, others will say they didn't do a thing. You just have to wait it out and know that it's temporary and the hair will grow back. The Hair loss is due to telogen effluvium (there are tons of articles on the internet about it - but this one popped up first for me):

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/telogen-effluvium/#:~:text=Telogen effluvium is the name,the shape of the root.

it's due to shock to the system from the surgery. Evidently it can be a side effect of any major surgery, but I think we probably see it more often with weight loss surgery since rapid weight loss and not getting enough protein/calories can ALSO cause telogen effluvium....so you're getting a double/triple whammy.

for most of us, it lasts three or four months and then stops - and then the hair grows back. The best thing you can do is keep on top of your supplements and Protein so it doesn't get any worse than it would anyway. Those hairs are already in the dormant phase of the Hair growth cycle, so it makes sense to me that nothing is really going to stop it once it's underway. Mine started at six months out and lasted about three months. Fortunately, I didn't lose that much. I doubt anyone noticed..

Yeah, just about everybody loses hair after surgery, and there's not much you can do about it. It will grow back. I have fine hair to begin with, so it was pretty noticeable when it started thinning. It has started growing back and it looks terrible because all the new hair is so much shorter than the hair that didn't fall out, but at least my scalp isn't looking so bare anymore.

13 hours ago, BigSue said:

Yeah, just about everybody loses hair after surgery, and there's not much you can do about it. It will grow back. I have fine hair to begin with, so it was pretty noticeable when it started thinning. It has started growing back and it looks terrible because all the new hair is so much shorter than the hair that didn't fall out, but at least my scalp isn't looking so bare anymore.

Hi, how long it toook itto grow back? Thanks

I had surgery 6 months ago. I had already been experiencing Hair loss, but it had had finally slowed down, then around 3 months post op it really started falling out. I have lost so much that my ponytail is now about the size of a pencil. I can't believe how thin it is.. I've always had very fine hair, but a ton of it, and it's curly, which also hid any thinness. Not anymore!
The good news is, the hair loss seems to have slowed in the last month or two. My hair still doesn't seem to be growing yet, but at least it's not falling out so much now. I am 49 and also seem to be starting menopause, so I don't hold out much hope of ever having the head of hair I once did, but I'm hoping some of it will grow back.
Until then, I have bought some hair toppers off Amazon, and one of those scrunchies made of fake hair and I put my hair up with it. I also use tinted dry Shampoo to conceal my scalp.
I hate the hair loss, but I would rather be completely bald than as fat and miserable as I was.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, Bookkeeper bariatric said:

I think it started growing back after a month or two (it started falling out 2-3 months after surgery). It's not pretty because the new hairs are so short that they just look like frizz. I'm 6.5 months out now and the new hairs are about an inch long. A lot of people cut their hair short so there's less of a difference between the old hairs and the new ones, but that's not a look I can pull off. 😀

My hair fell out like crazy. I never got bald Patches, but my pony tail went from being the diameter of a quarter to the diamater of a dime. It was super scary!

Over three years later now, and my hair is super thick again.

AND THIS IS WEIRD! It grew back much more curly than before! Maybe has to do with the Vitamins or something? But my hair is MUCH more curly now, and my skin is better. Used to get little red bumps on my upper arms and legs and they're all smooth and soft now. Again, maybe a Vitamin thing?

Give it time. Let the butterfly come out of the cocoon:)

On 2/8/2021 at 1:43 AM, Bookkeeper bariatric said:

Everyone will have a different experience, but here was mine:

• 3 mnths - started falling out (LOTS OF IT. By month 4-ish you could see my scalp)
  • 6-7 months - noticeably slowed down (i.e., less hair trails everywhere I went)
  • 11-12 months - visible chicken hairs (i.e., new growth) sticking up all over my head
  • 2+ years (i.e., now) - all my hair is basically the same length (i.e., no more chicken hairs, ends of hair are basically at my shoulders now), and i like to think it actually looks thicker than it did pre-surgery...but this may be just be wishful thinking...lol

I think its pretty much inevitable to go through a Hair loss phase during massive weight loss (see the link regarding Telogen Effluvium above).

Edited by ms.sss