Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GERD before gastric sleeve

Anyone have GERD before gastric sleeve that got better with the sleeve? Or reflux that got worse? My doctor said I’m a better fit for the sleeve despite my reflux problems and I’m more comfortable with it too, I’m just worried about having more reflux problems afterwards. I’d always read that you weren’t supposed to get a sleeve if you had preexisting reflux problems.

My surgery has a sleeved stomach and although I didn't have GERD I DO have EOS which causes acid issues. I have less acid then I did pre-surgery (I'm 1 year out), but my case is also not typical as generally speaking acid tends to get worse with the sleeve. I mean, it may not happen to you, but you also have to take the chance that you may end up having to have a bypass revision somewhere down the line. If you don't mind the risk then go for it. If you don't want to potentially do things all over again then do the bypass. In the end, it's very much your own choice. Just do what makes you happiest.

I am almost a year out and still have issues. I do take oprenisole but not even close to what I was taking before surgery. I was taking 2 a day (Rx]) religiously now I only take them when I need to and no prescription just otc.

I thought about the other surgery, and chosed not to go so invasive. But that was me. Go with you gut.

Good luck and keep us posted with your choice.

🧡🧡

I was set to do the bypass but my doctor is really pushing for the sleeve. He said that most of his patients have less reflux after the sleeve and if it does get worse they can do a revision or put a magnetic band around my diaphragm which is something I had never heard of. I do not want to have a revision, especially since I’ll be paying out of pocket, but he was pretty sure the reflux wouldn’t be a problem. The sleeve is definitely a less scary sounding procedure and as I’m 22 I have a lot more time for long-term complications to happen and the sleeve has a much lower risk of those than the bypass. Decisions decisions

On 01/27/2021 at 14:31, ImsexyandIknowit said:

I am almost a year out and still have issues. I do take oprenisole but not even close to what I was taking before surgery. I was taking 2 a day (Rx]) religiously now I only take them when I need to and no prescription just otc.

I thought about the other surgery, and chosed not to go so invasive. But that was me. Go with you gut.

Good luck and keep us posted with your choice.

🧡🧡

So it has improved after your sleeve? I know with the sleeve it won’t make the reflux go away, I’m just worried it’ll make it worse

1 minute ago, Circus321 said:

So it has improved after your sleeve? I know with the sleeve it won’t make the reflux go away, I’m just worried it’ll make it worse

No its a lot better. Much better, no way near the issues that I used to have

I never had any heartburn/acid reflux issues prior to surgery. I could eat whatever, whenever. Post-surgery, I've been miserable. As I posted in another thread, I let my omeprazole prescription lapse about a month after, as I didn't want to be on it long term due to concerns of kidney damage and other side effects of long-term use.

I've been taking Pepsid AC instead, but it's not nearly as effective. Sometimes it does the trick, but at other times not. I have to be really careful about greasy/spicy foods, and especially anything eaten in early evening or later. On numerous occasions I've woken up in the middle of the night in agony. This was not the case when on PPIs.

I've since had a consult with my surgeon who has said I shouldn't be scared of long-term effects of PPIs, and if they're more effective I should take them.

Not sure what to believe with respect to long-term PPI use...

On 01/27/2021 at 15:04, PolkSDA said:

I never had any heartburn/acid reflux issues prior to surgery. I could eat whatever, whenever. Post-surgery, I've been miserable. As I posted in another thread, I let my omeprazole prescription lapse about a month after, as I didn't want to be on it long term due to concerns of kidney damage and other side effects of long-term use.

I've been taking Pepsid AC instead, but it's not nearly as effective. Sometimes it does the trick, but at other times not. I have to be really careful about greasy/spicy foods, and especially anything eaten in early evening or later. On numerous occasions I've woken up in the middle of the night in agony. This was not the case when on PPIs.

I've since had a consult with my surgeon who has said I shouldn't be scared of long-term effects of PPIs, and if they're more effective I should take them.

Not sure what to believe with respect to long-term PPI use...

I’ve been on PPIs for years and the only long-term effect my doctor told me I had to worry about was the increased risk of osteoporosis and I only have to worry about that because I also have celiac disease. Your reflux sounds like mine now pre-surgery and PPIs almost completely knock it out. You might want to try them again. Any small long-term effect is worth not being miserable IMO. My doctor also said they could put in a magnetic band around my diaphragm that would help with reflux, maybe you could look into that if you’re against the meds. Thanks for sharing your experience 😊

On 01/27/2021 at 14:40, ImsexyandIknowit said:

No its a lot better. Much better, no way near the issues that I used to have

That’s great! I’m hoping that’s what’ll happen for me too

for some it gets better, but for about 30%, it gets worse. I'm surprised your surgeon is recommending it, to be honest. He may be more comfortable doing that surgery - it's less complicated. But I don't really like his comment about how you can always revise to bypass. Yea, but...

I had GERD before surgery. I didn't want to take the risk of it getting worse.

2 hours ago, Circus321 said:

I’m 22 I have a lot more time for long-term complications to happen and the sleeve has a much lower risk of those than the bypass. Decisions decisions

the risk of complications is lower with the sleeve, that is true, but major complications with either surgery is pretty uncommon.

I don't think anyone knows about long-term complications with sleeve since it's not a very old surgery. It became popular about 7 or 8 years ago and replaced the lapband as the non-RNY option (a version had been around before that since it's phase 1 of the duodenal switch (DS) surgery, but the DS is not a very common surgery. Stand-alone VSG is still just a few years old). There really aren't any long-term research studies on the sleeve because it hasn't been around long enough. So I don't know if it's true if it has fewer long-term complications than the RNY. It might - but it doesn't have the long-term research behind it to say one way or the other at this point.

On 01/27/2021 at 16:57, catwoman7 said:

for some it gets better, but for about 30%, it gets worse. I'm surprised your surgeon is recommending it, to be honest. He may be more comfortable doing that surgery - it's less complicated. But I don't really like his comment about how you can always revise to bypass. Yea, but...

I had GERD before surgery. I didn't want to take the risk of it getting worse.

He also mentioned medications and other non-surgical treatment options if it gets worse. I was surprised he recommended it too based on how all my research said not to do the sleeve if you have reflux problems. Idk, I’ll get a second opinion for sure

On 01/27/2021 at 17:04, catwoman7 said:

the risk of complications is lower with the sleeve, that is true, but major complications with either surgery is pretty uncommon.

I don't think anyone knows about long-term complications with sleeve since it's not a very old surgery. It became popular about 7 or 8 years ago and replaced the lapband as the non-RNY option (a version had been around before that since it's phase 1 of the duodenal switch (DS) surgery, but the DS is not a very common surgery. Stand-alone VSG is still just a few years old). There really aren't any long-term research studies on the sleeve because it hasn't been around long enough. So I don't know if it's true if it has fewer long-term complications than the RNY. It might - but it doesn't have the long-term research behind it to say one way or the other at this point.

I’m just basing that statement on what my doctor said. That was his reason for wanting to do the sleeve over the RNY. I’ll probably get a second opinion. Thanks!

I had reflux (gerd) before surgery. I had random attacks which were aggravated by stress & diet. Plus I had a very acidic stomach. I made a lot of dietary changes after I was diagnosed - no spicy food, no rich creamy food, avoided a lot of carbonated drinks which helped a lot. I also slept with the top of my bed on bricks for a few years. I was prescribed nexium but used it only when I’d get the hiccups (got really bad, painful attacks).

After sleeve, I take nexium every day. Yes, I still have reflux but it’s different & possibly better - can’t explain how it’s different though. My hiccups are nowhere near as severe (thank gracious). I get some burning in my throat at night but my doctor suggested I not eat solid Protein 2 hours before bed. Liquid Protein was fine. I changed to when I ate my yoghurt to after dinner (to get the last of my daily protein in) & no more burning yet. Fingers crossed.

On 01/27/2021 at 20:37, Arabesque said:

I had reflux (gerd) before surgery. I had random attacks which were aggravated by stress & diet. Plus I had a very acidic stomach. I made a lot of dietary changes after I was diagnosed - no spicy food, no rich creamy food, avoided a lot of carbonated drinks which helped a lot. I also slept with the top of my bed on bricks for a few years. I was prescribed nexium but used it only when I’d get the hiccups (got really bad, painful attacks).

After sleeve, I take nexium every day. Yes, I still have reflux but it’s different & possibly better - can’t explain how it’s different though. My hiccups are nowhere near as severe (thank gracious). I get some burning in my throat at night but my doctor suggested I not eat solid Protein 2 hours before bed. Liquid Protein was fine. I changed to when I ate my yoghurt to after dinner (to get the last of my daily Protein in) & no more burning yet. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I never had any reflux until I got pregnant 4 years ago. I had hyperemesis and was hospitalized for 2 weeks and I’ve had severe reflux ever since. So idk how surgery will affect it