Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my lap and surgery 10 years ago, I did great for awhile, now I’m totally out of control. I weigh more now than when I had the surgery. I don’t sit and eat sweets, but it seems like I’m hungry all the time and can’t get satisfied. Just recently I discovered I could drink pops, coke and Mountain Dew. What can I do to get back on track?

I need help😢

You came to the right place! I had the lapband put in back in 2009 and removed Feb 2020. I was heavier when the band came out then when it went in. I am at a cross-roads now. I want wls, but am self-pay and too chicken to go to Mexico where all of the surgeries are more cost efficient. Below is my experience.

Mt. Dew was my down-fall!! When I had the band, dark soda's tasted weird to me (thankfully) until I discovered Mt. Dew and that I could drink it (tasted super yummy and I could drink it without it hurting - darks hurt my throat). I have been able to work myself off of the dew 3 times. The first time I was completely soda free (Mt. Dew/7up) for over a year. The last time I got off of it- I did it in stages. I bought a soda stream. Once I got that, and I started with strong flavor of ginger-ale, but then got to where I was making green tea soda and carbonated Water with natural fruit flavors. Now - I have been 2 months without any carbonation at all. I started with heavier flavors and more bubbles, and each week lowered the intensity of both.

I have been reading and leaning on this website for support and strength! There are AMAZING FOLKS here!! I still don't know what I will do as for wls. The last day or so I have been contemplating trying to follow the bariatric/wls way of eating just without the surgery. Odds are totally against me being able to do this. But I had started a couple of weeks ago trying to change 2 of my meals to the thick Protein and a small real food meal, heavy in protein and above-ground vegetables and a crap ton of water. The surgeon I was initially working with gave me diet plan for the month before surgery, and 2 weeks of clear liquid diet before surgery (this is the Clear Liquids with 3-4 thick Protein Shakes - powder protein of 30g or more in only 2-3 oz water). I was using this month before stage to get my head in the right place for the clear liquid time... I can't manage the 3oz of water in the Protein Powder but I have worked myself down to 4 oz. I am up to 50-60oz of water/clear liquid a day (the goal was 80). I am no longer having the surgery as planned.... but even though I was so disappointed... I gain hope and support from reading the posts on this site!!!

Reading others who are in your same situation, many folks reply to do the pouch rest (I may have the wording/spelling wrong) but go back and start with the food plan after surgery. Not for as long because you don't have to wait for anything to heal but .... back the the protein shakes, water, and high protein foods... and try limiting sugars. I am sure that others will reply in time to your thread who can help more and know more about the "reset". Or... look through some of the threads here and you will find others!!!

I just wanted to reach out because I know first hand how hard it is to kick Mt. Dew. I swear it was harder for me to kick the Dew then it was to give up alcohol (and at one point I did like my hard liquor so that says a lot)!

Good luck!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! The mountain always look bigger before you take the first step. - and YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

I had my lapband removed in October of 2019 just shy of 10 years. I did great with it. Lost 170 pounds. Just since October 2019 and now I’ve put on 70 pounds and feel awful and discouraged. I had lost my job after the emergency surgery right before the pandemic hit. I made the decision to go forward with the gastric sleeve. My surgery is scheduled for February 19th. I’m so nervous. I should have already had the surgery but haven’t because of delays with the pandemic. All I can tell you is talk with your doctors. I felt so lost after having my band taken out and so defeated. I felt like I had failed. I’ve spent so many days in the doctors office crying. But look into talking to your doctors. My doctors sat and told me all my options as far as surgical and non surgical. I opted for surgical because I know myself. I hope you get the answers you want and need. I’m always here if you need anything. I would be lying if I told you I wasn’t scared or terrified to have a permanent surgery now after the band which was removable but I’m hopeful for a healthier life. Hope you find the right answers for you.

I'm sorry you had to have yours removed. I hope the sleeve surgery goes well. I totally understand about feeling defeated, but remember, you are moving forward and that is great.