Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble finding ready to drink protein shake

I just had my Gastric Bypass on Jan 12th, and my Dr. started me on ready-to-drink Protein Shakes in the hospital. They had the brand "Oh Yeah" in vanilla. I loved them. I got home spent $65 on the only web-site I could find them in stock, and I received them this morning the 17th. They taste terrible to me!! I had been trying to drink the Fairlife with 24grams of Protein, but could barely get them down. Well, now that the "Oh Yeah" are here they taste terrible??? What is wrong with me? I feel like I just don't know what to do. I can't afford to waste money like that and now I feel like I have to drink them, but they aren't setteling on my stomach like they were, and the taste? I just don't know what to think. Any advise please, I would be so greatful. Thanks Rhonda

I drink the Walmart brand pre-made Protein Drinks. But I also have the Premier clear Protein (it's like a juice. The peach one is delicious) and I've also bought a few Protein2o (tastes like Hint Water, if you've ever had that). There's also the Isopure protein ones that are similar to the Premier clear (but with twice the amount of protein. Premier has 20g and Isopure has 40g). The Isopure I had found at Dollar General, but I haven't seen them in a while. The Protein2o you can get basically anywhere (I've bought them at both Walmart and Rite Aid). Trying to find one you can tolerate the taste of may take a while. I wish you luck!

Right after surgery I really struggled with Protein Shakes. They all tasted like rotten milk to me. It gets better. Just buy small amounts of anything you can find to try. Hopefully you will be able to drink the ones you invested in in a month or two. 🤞🏻I usually just drank a vanilla Premier Protein. They still tasted like 💩 to me, but I could get them down eventually.

goid luck! 😊

5 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

I drink the Walmart brand pre-made Protein Drinks. But I also have the Premier clear Protein (it's like a juice. The peach one is delicious) and I've also bought a few Protein2o (tastes like Hint Water, if you've ever had that). There's also the Isopure Protein ones that are similar to the Premier clear (but with twice the amount of protein. Premier has 20g and Isopure has 40g). The Isopure I had found at Dollar General, but I haven't seen them in a while. The Protein2o you can get basically anywhere (I've bought them at both Walmart and Rite Aid). Trying to find one you can tolerate the taste of may take a while. I wish you luck!

Thanks so much for the ideas. I really appreciate all your time and response. I have a few of the Protein2o, and they aren't bad. It just blew my mind how from the hospital to 2 days at home my taste buds changed again that quick? So weird, and I can't afford to keep buying cases of drinks that I can't get down. It is just irritating to me. I guess I need to remember Im just 5 days post-op. I can always use the ready-to-drink in my blender and add fruit or something, later on.

3 minutes ago, WishMeSmaller said:

Right after surgery I really struggled with Protein Shakes. They all tasted like rotten milk to me. It gets better. Just buy small amounts of anything you can find to try. Hopefully you will be able to drink the ones you invested in in a month or two. 🤞🏻I usually just drank a vanilla Premier Protein. They still tasted like 💩 to me, but I could get them down eventually.

goid luck! 😊

Thanks, and so far at least I can stomach the Fairlife ones. Barely. That is what I'm hoping for at least will not be money waisted. I can't afford that. Thanks so much Rhonda

Rhonda, I am in Winston-Salem, so not too far from you. Where are you finding Fairlife shakes? I have been looking and haven't seen them anywhere. My local food Lion has Fairlife milk, but not the shakes.

I like Premier Protein shakes. There's a sale on them right now at costco, so they aren't too much. I think it is $17.99 for a case of 18 (normally a few dollars more). The Caffe Latte flavor is my favorite, but also like some of the others.

Since you don't want to waste the shakes you already spent money on, you can try mod-ing them a bit:

• add more Water
  • blend with lots ice
  • add a tsp or two of instant Decaf coffee crystals (my personal fave)
  • PB2 powder, sugar-free instant hot chocolate (never tried, but read good reviews)
  • blend with a few berries
  • freeze and eat like ice cream/popsicle

Have you tried Protein powders that you mix yourself? They have a little bit different texture than the ready-to-drink shakes, so you might like them better. You can also get clear protein powders that are more like juice than shakes (e.g., Syntrax Nectar). I also highly recommend protein hot cocoa. I think it goes down easier than cold shakes. The BariatricPal brand is delicious, but the ProtiDiet brand that you can get on Amazon is almost as good and costs less. If you make it with Fairlife milk instead of Water, it has as much protein as a shake.

6 hours ago, billho said:

Rhonda, I am in Winston-Salem, so not too far from you. Where are you finding Fairlife shakes? I have been looking and haven't seen them anywhere. My local food Lion has Fairlife milk, but not the shakes.

I like Premier Protein shakes. There's a sale on them right now at costco, so they aren't too much. I think it is $17.99 for a case of 18 (normally a few dollars more). The Caffe Latte flavor is my favorite, but also like some of the others.

I find the Fairlife with 24grams of Protein on the Cereal isle in food Lion, near the Protein Bars and such. I have tried Premier but just didn't care for those either. I am used to making my own, but I just haven't felt like doing all the work. Being lazy I suppose, but I wasn't sure if I could use all the ice. I like my smoothies with lots of ice. I think I need to do some modifying. I hope this helps you find the FAirlife. I can usually find the choclote and vanilla.

5 hours ago, BigSue said:

Have you tried Protein powders that you mix yourself? They have a little bit different texture than the ready-to-drink shakes, so you might like them better. You can also get clear Protein powders that are more like juice than shakes (e.g., Syntrax Nectar). I also highly recommend protein hot cocoa. I think it goes down easier than cold shakes. The BariatricPal brand is delicious, but the ProtiDiet brand that you can get on Amazon is almost as good and costs less. If you make it with Fairlife milk instead of Water, it has as much protein as a shake.

I usually did make my own Protein Shakes with my blender and the protein powders. I really like them. I just really like a lot of ice and I know that I can't fill up on ice right now. I wish I could, I'd be a happy camper, for sure. I guess the first ice cold Protein Shake they gave me in the hospital was the "Oh Yeah", and oh my goodness I thought it was Heaven. So I came home and ordered a case and by the time it was delivered to me, only 2 days I couldn't stand the taste? I don't get this. I hope later on I can blend them up with some ice and fruit or something and make them work. I payed way too much for those things. Big mistake. Thanks for your input.

Try putting them in the freezer for 30 minutes and get them icy cold. I have found that can help.

10 minutes ago, Uomograsso said:

Try putting them in the freezer for 30 minutes and get them icy cold. I have found that can help.

Thanks I will give that a try, for sure.