Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Diet - Week 3 of Liquid Diet

Hi! First time poster here. I’m on week 3 of my liquid diet and I’m struggling so much. I haven’t lost weight in about a week, and I’m not sure why. I’m back to my normal cardio and yoga workouts every day, I drink way more than 64oz of Water. My real issue is food, I am getting so nauseous (even with the anti-nausea meds) with all of the sweet Protein Shakes, etc. The only thing that I can eat without being nauseous is savory Soups with added Protein (and all of the recipes my dietitian gave me are low fat cream based) but I can only do about two cups a day of that. I basically don’t eat except for the one bowl of Soup a day and one protein water.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do? I desperately want to start the purée stage or at least have a scrambled egg because right now, I have no will to eat at all even though I’m hungry. Thanks for your help!

First of all do not panic. You are in the famous three week stall, it can come anytime but week three is the famous "three week stall" you can google it. You cannot work your way out of it, it just happens and your not doing anything at all wrong, it will pass.

Second, I found that warm things were much better for me that cold or even sweet things. But remember this is just a stage, it will pass super quick and before you know it you will be on to the next stage and this will just be a memory.

Try not to hurry on to the next stage, you may feel ready and you may be healed up on the outside but you cannot see the incisions or the surgical sites on the inside and you just had major surgery. Its important to let that stuff heal the way it needs to. Proper healing is very important for long term success!! So just go with the misery of the full liquids for the time and choke down the Soups and the Protein Shakes until you get the go ahead to move on to the next stage and before you know it you will be eating regular foods (at a much smaller portion) :)

Try drinking a warm Bone Broth when you think your hungry, they are high in Protein and will fill you up and count towards protein and liquid. They also will leave you feeling full longer than a regular broth :)

yep - three week stall. Happens to almost everyone. Last time I checked, there were over 17,000 posts on it (and no, I'm NOT kidding!)

just stick to your plan and it'll eventually break. They usually last 1-3 weeks (mine lasted two weeks. Once it broke, I dropped like 6-8 lbs in a couple of days)