Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m meeting my surgeon in a couple weeks. What can I expect to lose from revision.

Good question. And what do they revise? If your stomach is already sleeved, then they just it up now to bypass the stomach altogether? I'm not sure I understand revisions. Does the weight loss jumpstart again like it did with the original WLS?

1 hour ago, GradyCat said:

Good question. And what do they revise? If your stomach is already sleeved, then they just it up now to bypass the stomach altogether? I'm not sure I understand revisions. Does the weight loss jumpstart again like it did with the original WLS?

from what I've read on forums, you'll have some loss - but it's not like you get at first from a "virgin surgery".

I had a revision VSG to SADI-S Modified DS (Loop DS) 7 months ago. I read this surgery produces 85% excess weight loss on average. Sure enough, I lost 85% of my excess weight this year. We got to the point of needing surgeries due to poor nutrition. If you make a permanent change to your daily nutrition plan, you will get similar results.

With the VSG 7 years ago, I lost 77% of my excess body weight then regained most of it back. I failed to establish and follow a good nutrition plan. The revision was a second chance and mal absorption helped me get where I am.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:28 AM, Glorious Release said:

I’m meeting my surgeon in a couple weeks. What can I expect to lose from revision.

I was told to expect at least 20 lbs and I lost 25lbs. I have a friend who revised after not losing all of her weight with VSG and she went on to lose 70lbs I think. As long as you follow the plan after surgery you will lose the weight. Good luck to you !!

I had a sleeve in 2014 and lost 56 pounds, but regained more than half of it over 6 years. My bypass was done to eliminate my GERD, but obviously weight loss has occurred. My surgeon told me not to expect a huge weight loss. I'm 9 weeks postop today and I've lost 30 lbs. since surgery.

Now I'm just trying to change my relationship with food so I can reach my healthy weight (10 more pounds to lose) and KEEP IT THERE!!!! I'm currently at the lowest weight I got to after VSG, so I'm feeling hopeful that I can reach my goal this time!

On 12/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, GradyCat said:

Good question, i'm looking at revision from sleeve to bypass due to severe reflux. I'm not looking to lose much weight. 20 lb might be nice, but all in all, this will be for the GERD. I've heard it doesn't not jump start. You might lose 15 - 25 lbs but nothing significant like we did after VSG surgery.

7 hours ago, StratusPhr said:

Good question, i'm looking at revision from sleeve to bypass due to severe reflux. I'm not looking to lose much weight. 20 lb might be nice, but all in all, this will be for the GERD. I've heard it doesn't not jump start. You might lose 15 - 25 lbs but nothing significant like we did after VSG surgery.

that's what I've read as well - it's typically around a 20 lb weight loss, more or less. You don't get those massive drops like you do with a virgin surgery. I suppose there might be some people who do, but typically, no.