Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Does My Nose Run When I Eat?

I never noticed this before having WLS two years ago, but now no matter what I eat, whether it's spicy or bland or a little or a lot my nose runs constantly while I eat.

When I stop eating the nose stops running.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem to happen when I eat cold food, just hot food.

And I'm not over-eating and am sticking to proper portion sizes. For instance, I just ate 5 microwaved pieces of pepperoni and my nose ran constantly. I'm done eating now and my nose isn't running anymore.

I searched online and it says allergic rhinitis is a possible culprit. Has anybody else experienced this after having weight loss surgery that they didn't have before?

Why does your nose run Everytime you eat?
A person's nose might run after eating if they have allergic Rhinitis

Inflammation and irritation of the mucous membrane of the nose.

caused by a food allergy. A person may experience a runny nose and other symptoms either after eating a particular kind of food or, in some cases, after eating any food. A runny nose may be accompanied by the following symptoms: a stuffy, congested feeling in the nose

I never noticed this before having WLS two years ago, but now no matter what I eat, whether it's spicy or bland or a little or a lot my nose runs constantly while I eat.
When I stop eating the nose stops running.
Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem to happen when I eat cold food, just hot food.< br> And I'm not over-eating and am sticking to proper portion sizes. For instance, I just ate 5 microwaved pieces of pepperoni and my nose ran constantly. I'm done eating now and my nose isn't running anymore.
I searched online and it says allergic rhinitis is a possible culprit. Has anybody else experienced this after having weight loss surgery that they didn't have before?
Why does your nose run Everytime you eat? A person's nose might run after eating if they have allergic Rhinitis

Inflammation and irritation of the mucous membrane of the nose.

caused by a food allergy. A person may experience a runny nose and other symptoms either after eating a particular kind of food or, in some cases, after eating any food. A runny nose may be accompanied by the following symptoms: a stuffy, congested feeling in the nose
Me onthe other hand constantly sneeze whilst eating. I dontknow why but it's so annoying and alittle embarrassing

Sent from my VOG-L29 using BariatricPal mobile app

@GradyCat The condition is called gustatory rhinitis and is common in bariatric patients. It is linked to "snatiation" or sneezing after eating and is a reflex.

I read somewhere that it has to do with stimulating a nerve in the upper stomach, now more sensitive or exposed due to the surgery. However, I cannot find the specific article or reference anymore.

Years ago, when I had a lap band, a runny nose for me was my "signal" that I was full or getting full and needed to stop eating. Since being sleeved, I still get the runny nose, but it's not as "free-flowing" whereas the sneezing really gets my attention. In my first 6 months, I would sneeze and sneeze and sneeze to the point where my co-workers would come to my office to make sure I was alright! These days, it's pretty common for me to sneeze once or twice after a meal (more if I've overindulged).