Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op - gastric bypass

Hi!

im three days post op and the Protein Water I liked before surgery makes me want to throw up now. I don’t know what it is but I feel like it tastes weird? Are my taste buds changing? I’ve been drinking other Protein Shakes but they’re not the same “level” according to my nutritionist as the protein water with the whey protein isolate which Im worried could screw up my progress. But at the same time I cannot drink the protein water so I just don’t know! I could only get up to 50g protein yesterday.

I’m also exhausted and still feel a lot of pain. I have been napping every day. Is this normal? Am I supposed to have more energy? I went out to the store with my family yesterday thinking I needed to push myself but maybe I pushed too hard? I don’t know.

any advice or first hand experiences you have for the first week post op is greatly appreciated!

At three days post-op you're doing just fine. You just had major surgery and your body is trying to repair itself. You'll have full energy back in 5-7 days.

A lot of people here talk about their taste buds changing post-op and not being able to stomach the Protein Drinks. I've always used premade GNC Lean shakes and never had that problem. I'm two years post-op and still drink one every day.

All normal stuff. I used Premier Protein shakes preop, but after surgery they tasted way too sweet and I had my husband return them all to costco where I had gotten them on sale. Then a few months later - BOOM! They tastee good again! So hang on to them - you may well use them later.

You are still recovering from anesthesia as well as the surgery. Take it easy. Just walk to keep your circulation going, and do not try to push yourself at this point. Walking is important, but that's all you need to be doing right now. The main focus needs to be on getting your fluids in. Then the Protein. (The Liquid Protein does count as fluid.)

Hang in there. This is hard, but this too, shall pass. It's like child birth. The first couple of weeks are like labor and delivery, but there is a whole new life on the other side that will make this part seem distant.

Same thing with the Protein Water here. Can't stomach it or shakes post surgery. Lived on Greek yogurt and protein Soups for first month. Unjury chicken Soup (20g/protein/serving) and BariatricPal Cream of Tomato (15g/protein) are delicious- at least to me... I think 50g/protein at 3 days out is good but I'm obviously not your medical team. Mine wants me at 60/daily but expected me to work up to it.

I'm almost 2 months out and just getting energy back. The first month I got exhausted very easily and was in a lot of pain but on Thanksgiving Day found I had an infection. After a couple of days in hospital- felt like a new person. I still haven't experienced the heightened energy that many describe but am definitely more energetic. I didn't go anywhere for a week (only to have my drain removed) so sounds like you're doing great!

Wishing you energy and much success!

Edited by ksgypsy
clarification

Protein powders can be helpful. The vanilla ones are nice in yogurt, and the pea protein ones work well in Soups. It's an easy way to add protein without drinking a shake.

Yes, 60 gm/day is required, but as the previous poster said, you may need to work up to it. I cannot emphasize enough, however, that fluids are your #1 priority. All the protein in the world does not help you if you get dehydrated.

Edited by AZhiker

2 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Protein powders can be helpful. The vanilla ones are nice in yogurt, and the pea Protein ones work well in Soups. It's an easy way to add protein without drinking a shake.

I hadn't thought about adding vanilla protein to my yogurt but will now! I add an unflavored to some Soups and don't taste it but it doesn't blend completely. Do you mind sharing what type of pea protein you use? Thank you!

I cannot use whey based Proteins, and for the life of me I cannot remember the brand of the pea based, unsweetened, unflavored one I use for Soups. I got it at Sprouts. Sprouts also has some in the bulk food section and I've used that just fine, also.