Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week Liquid Diet Cheat

I'm having VSG on December 29th! I'm really struggling with the pre op liquid diet! I went for 4 days good, then cheated for 3, then 3 days good and I cheated today! But it's Christmas it's so hard! Now I'm terrified my surgery will get canceled. I've lost about 15lbs so far.

6 minutes ago, TexasSleeveGal said:

I'm having VSG on December 29th! I'm really struggling with the pre op liquid diet! I went for 4 days good, then cheated for 3, then 3 days good and I cheated today! But it's Christmas it's so hard! Now I'm terrified my surgery will get canceled. I've lost about 15lbs so far.

I know it’s difficult but keep trying to stick to it!! You definitely want your liver to be at a safe point for surgery! Think if you went through all this suffering for them to say it wasn’t enough?! That would be devastating! One day in my first week I had a garlic knot. I felt so guilty but I got back on track and had no issues with my surgery. Good luck! Keep chugging along! You got this!!!

don't cheat anymore. Just white knuckle it. This is the worst part of the ordeal. If you don't cheat, it does get better by about day 3 or 4, because that's when your body goes into ketosis.

Yes, definitely don't cheat anymore, but don't beat yourself over the cheating you did. What has been done -- has been done.. Nothing you can do to change it.

Some doctors only do a week of a pre-surgery diet. My doctor didn't require me to do one at all (not sure if that's true of all his patients or if it was because I had a "lower" BMI).

I don't want to scared you, but I did read a post on FB of a lady who went into surgery, got opened up and then they closed her up right away because her liver was too enlarged. They rescheduled her surgery. Think about how horrific that would be, so just continue on doing what you're supposed to do until your surgery!

I had a little food at my mother-in-law’s today, but it was our only Christmas celebration, but I also had mostly Soup. I chewed slowly, and told myself that was the only solids I was going to allow myself to have in this whole liquid diet phase. Doesn’t matter, still feel guilty as all hell. I’m back to liquids already (had a Protein Shake for dinner), worked out an extra 40 minutes today to make up for it. Back to liquids tomorrow. 6 days until surgery (12/30)!

8 hours ago, TexasSleeveGal said:

You might want to ask your doctor if you can have eggs. I was told that could be an option if I was miserable during pre-op diet.

You can't afford your liver to be too large for the surgery. You can't cheat on this. If you're cheating now on the pre-op, what are you going to do post-op and for the rest of your life? Think about that. I'm not being mean, I'm just asking you to think about the long-term.

49 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

You can't afford your liver to be too large for the surgery. You can't cheat on this. If you're cheating now on the pre-op, what are you going to do post-op and for the rest of your life? Think about that. I'm not being mean, I'm just asking you to think about the long-term.

^^^^ this.

In retrospect, for me, I know I shouldn’t have eaten. I didn’t eat much and ended the day below 1200 calories anyway, but I still feel guilty. I’m allowed to have things like oatmeal and cream of wheat, and Soup, too. So at least the bulk of what I had was a puréed vegetable soup (with some spice to it, boy howdy). I’m thankful that my body still dropped 0.4 pounds yesterday. My surgery is in 5 days now, and I’m going to try to be only liquids and Protein Drinks until surgery, and only eat the semi-liquids if I feel like I’m DYING of hunger (which I shouldn’t get that way, but you know how it is).

10 hours ago, mil_unloaded said:

In retrospect, for me, I know I shouldn’t have eaten. I didn’t eat much and ended the day below 1200 calories anyway, but I still feel guilty. I’m allowed to have things like oatmeal and cream of wheat, and Soup, too. So at least the bulk of what I had was a puréed vegetable Soup (with some spice to it, boy howdy). I’m thankful that my body still dropped 0.4 pounds yesterday. My surgery is in 5 days now, and I’m going to try to be only liquids and Protein Drinks until surgery, and only eat the semi-liquids if I feel like I’m DYING of hunger (which I shouldn’t get that way, but you know how it is).

There is nothing you can do now about it - don't feel guilty. It solves nothing. A lot of the feelings of guilt lead to depression, then overeating in people with addictions to food. So don't look back -- only look ahead. You can't change it, so don't waste your time with it or risk doing it again by getting yourself down.

Just concentrate on sticking to the diet from here on out. Chin up! Good luck! And let us know how you're feeling once you have the surgery!! Much ❤ to you.

I found the liquid diet to be far more mentally challenging than anything. It's hard to get through it, but challenge your MIND to stay strong. Focus on what you are nourishing your body with. You ARE getting what you need even though it doesn't feel like it. You got this. The 2 weeks of struggle are worth every. freaking. moment. You go this. ❤️

13 hours ago, Lanie992 said:

There is nothing you can do now about it - don't feel guilty. It solves nothing. A lot of the feelings of guilt lead to depression, then overeating in people with addictions to food. So don't look back -- only look ahead. You can't change it, so don't waste your time with it or risk doing it again by getting yourself down.

Just concentrate on sticking to the diet from here on out. Chin up! Good luck! And let us know how you're feeling once you have the surgery!! Much ❤ to you.

Thanks friend, you’re so right. And I’m prone to depression this time of year (Seasonal Depression due to the darkness, we’re in sunny California, so it’s common!). I have been sticking to the diet since Christmas Eve (when I indulged a little), and I feel better with regards to the guilt. I’ve forgiven myself. It’s ok to make mistakes as long as you learn from them and move on. Much love to you as well.