Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slippers,Mittens and other strange changes

Holy cats talk about some changes I did not see coming. I am normally always overheating, I am hot at night and kick off the covers, want the windows open in the winter time while I clean house, I sweat just thinking about changing clothes. Two weeks post sleeve and my husband wants to know what they did with his wife, you see, I have the furnace set on 73 and the fire place rolling in the living room. I actually put an electric blanket on my bed and today while I was bee booping around the house I was wearing socks and slippers and I had on a pair of mittens because my hands were so darn cold.

My dog has decided he no longer wants to sleep under the covers next to me, he stares at me like I am an alien.

I used to love Dasani Water and today I decided it tastes like chemicals and the generic spring water we use in our Keurig machine tastes better??

I am 4 days post op and have been frozen all week lol! sleeping in sweatshirts, extra blanket, I feel ya!

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 5 months since surgery and I am freezing all of the time. I am obsessed with buying jackets. I want them all. I have the heat up to 73 and wear a sweatshirt, flannel pajama bottoms, socks or slippers, use a blanket and love when my dogs snuggle as they are warm. It is ridiculous. 🙄😂😂😂

I've been just the same since my surgery! I normally wear a t shirt and shorts, even in the depths of Winter but I'm freezing all the time now. I've been complaining to my husband that this is the coldest Winter ever.....I've had to borrow slippers from my daughter and buy gloves for the first time in decades.....

Other things I did not expect was the stomach/pouch random cramps. I guess that's part of the healing process, but they suck. I also expected to be starving, but I'm not. I just concentrate on fluids right now. I didn't expect to be SO swollen after surgery, I won't weigh until Monday because I want to give my body time to adjust.

all of that is pretty common (feeling cold, tastes changing...). My internal thermostat seems pretty normal now (the first year post-op I was always freezing), but with some people, that seems to be a permanent change...

I've seen a lot of people on the forums these past two years say they're cold after WLS.

Yeah, I'm cold all the time. Maybe it is the 77 lbs of blubber I used to carry around that is gone now.

The other thing is that my butt hurts from sitting too much. I have no padding there anymore and I have to get up and move more often. I had to add a cushion to my office chair.

Edited by billho

1 hour ago, billho said:

The other thing is that my butt hurts from sitting too much. I have no padding there anymore and I have to get up and move more often. I had to add a cushion to my office chair.

that's really common as well. I bought a coccyx pillow for my office chair and another for my car. I've since retired, so the office pillow is now in my husband's car. I still use them, 5.5 years later. My butt doesn't start hurting right away anymore like it did (I think the fat or something has shifted around - either that, or I've just learned how to sit on it "correctly"), but it will start hurting after sitting on it for a significant amount of time. Those pillows/cushions do help, though!

Cold is a understatement wait you you lose all the body fat like I did you will freeze

NOW for you guys to put this in perspective I live in Naples Florida as far south as you can go in the USA and I still freeze. I have a electric heater by my bed and sleep on a electric blanket. Wife is overweight so she is hot all the time used to have the AC's set to 73 Now its 76

Rather be thin and Cold then Fat and Hot!

My extreme coldness of the first few months has transitioned to just cold-ish. I do notice that I tend wear more clothes/layers than my never-fat friends/family throughout ALL the seasons.

I’m 2+ years out.

Right now, my thermostat reads 23.5C (74.3F) and while the Mr. is wearing shorts, and the other 2 are wearing t-shirts, I am wearing jeans, a hoodie (with the hood on, currently), and woollen socks and sitting on the couch under a blanket...and i still feel a little on chilly side...

Edited by ms.sss

I am from North Dakota and have been over weight my entire life. I was a chubby (but adorable) toddler! We are having a super nice winter here not a flake of snow on the ground and not enough ice on the lakes to ice fish but my husband (who is also over weight) is ready to start sleeping in one of the spare bedrooms due to the temp changes I am going through.

Last night I had the fire place in the bed room rolling, the furnace set on 73 and an electric blanket on high.....If I could figure out a way to sleep in the bathtub I would. I tried to put my feet under my hubby's legs last night and you would have thought I dumped a cold tub of gatorade on him......I will not be doing that again any time soon. I am guessing he gets me some thick wool socks for Christmas or separate beds.....LOL