Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i feel really bad about what i ate today

i had an sf instant carnation Breakfast for breakfast. mid morning i had an boiled egg, for lunch i had about 2oz of chicken, mid afternoon i had 4 oz of light yogurt and for supper i had about 2oz of chicken with fat free gravy and one sf free pudding. i then realized that i had some sf ice cream in the freezer and had about 1 cup of that, i am really full. im disappointed that i ate all of that today. i was really hungry today. i feel like today for the first time in 2 weeks that i went back to some of my bad habits. why did i have ice cream in the house, when i bought it i thought that it would be ok because it was sugar free but eating a whole cup is alot especially after surgery. i hope that i didnt stretch my stomach out to far. i also should have drinken more today. i hope this doesnt happen again. any suggestions would be great. can i do better from this point or am i in trouble?

andrea

I wouldnt be upset about how much I ate if that was my day I'd be upset that I'd eaten NO fresh fruit or vegetables! I'd feel totally crappy on that sort of food. Replace the pudding and the ice cream for something like some fruit and a salad with your chicken.

Dont worry about it, its just one day, write it off and start again. I dont know how much you normally eat, for me, I eat more than you've just described. I think we lose our perspective after banding, and start to become obsessed with the other end of the spectrum, eating as little as possible. Its not necessary and not healthy.

Of course, dont eat to feeling FULL more often than you can help though. But one day doesnt mean success or failure, just put it behind you.

What Andrea ate sounded pretty much like what my RD is recommending (except for the ice cream). Definitely no fresh fruit or green salad at two weeks. Protein, Protein, protein! She says eat the protein before moving on to the vegetables (well cooked), to make sure I get the protein in before I get too full.

I had some low-fat icecream sandwiches in the house after my surgery, and had to throw them out. Too much of a temptation.

Andie, if you're two weeks out of surgery you're doing GREAT. This time is especially difficult for people who are feeling normal hunger and very little, if any, restriction or effect from the band. Look again at that list of what you ate, and compare it to what you would have eaten in a day before getting banded. It's extraordinary!

Congratulations! :biggrin1:

thanks alexandra, i thought that my diet was ok except for the ice cream even though it was sugar free. i am now 2 weeks out and can add veg and fruit to my diet so i will, i am finding that i am eating a little more than i should though i am trying to stick to the diet as much as i can but sometimes it doesnt fill me up. i have also cheated a couple of times a bite of something here and there and that bothers me because i dont want to slip totally. the first week i was so disciplined and now i am sneaking a bite here and there. for example a bite of my sons mac and cheese, im not suppose to have Pasta right now. im only hurting myself and i know that but now that i am getting hungrier its so tempting. i do know that i need to drink more fluids i havent been drinking enough. im just not used to drinking that much fluids. its sucks because the first week and a half i felt awesome mentally and physically and now mentally i feel like crap because ive cheated a little and feel like im losing sight of the whole thing.

andrea

i think that what you are going through is completely normal. it is important to stick with your doctor recommended diet, but it is not easy. i felt just like you, i started getting hungry and i would eat things that i shouldn't have. luckily, i didn't get stuck or cause any problems.

don't beat yourself up about it, because feeling guilty is likely to start a cycle that will be harder to break. you feel bad so you want to eat more. it is ok, and i'm sure a lot of people have gone through what you are going through. it is hard, very hard. if we could do this on our own, we wouldn't need the band. just try to focus on the fact that this time will pass by pretty quickly and try your best to stick to your diet, and get a lot of Protein so you won't be hungry in the first place. (sugar will make you hungry).

it was very hard for me, i found that keeping flavored Water (like crystal light) with me at all times helped, i also kept sugar free icebreaker's sours with me, for when i felt the desire to put something in my mouth. another thing that i found was the sf carnation breakfast was a lot less filling than a nice frothy Protein shake, or some pureed Beans or something like that.

oh yeah, i just read your post again, and you, in my opinion are eating AWESOME!! I wish i had a day like that. i mean yeah, sure, the ice cream wasn't a necessity, but i bet it tasted good, and at least you did go with the sf kind. just don't do it every day. i like you, need to work on the veggies, but if you added your calories up, even with the ice cream, you might be surprised at how low they are.

for me, i really had to focus on eating 800 calories and getting my Protein. some days, i had room for empty calories like fudgsicles, etc.