Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks out - Expectations

I had ESG on 9/25/2020. I'm just over 6 weeks. I lost 10 pounds the first two weeks (I was very ill the first two weeks), but only 10 in the next four weeks. So, 20 pounds in 6 weeks. I expected to lose the weight faster than I am. Were my expectations unrealistic. My starting weight was 205, BMI 31 or 33. I'm 5'5".

Your BMI was barely in the obese category and people with lower BMI's often lose a bit slower. Even so, 20 pounds in 6 weeks isn't super slow. I lost 25 pounds in the first 8 weeks and I started with a BMI of 45. In my case the loss was slow but steady and just kept going month after month.

Also, there's a common stall that people hit at about 3-4 weeks out from surgery. It can take 2-4 weeks to resume losing after that. Are you sticking closely to your eating plan, getting enough Water, getting in your Protein, etc.? Are you respecting your tummy restriction and stopping before you are overfull? If so, I'd say just be patient. If you keep losing 20 pounds every 6 weeks, in 3 months you'll be down another 40 pounds (so 60 overall). You're doing fine.

Do the math

6 weeks 20 pounds

12 weeks 40 pounds

18 weeks 60 pounds

24 weeks 80 pounds

30 weeks 100 pounds

So you are WLS impatient and anxious = Mental head games

You are on a good course just focus now on getting healthy! You do not have to wait till you get thin to get healthy lifestyle free of you addiction to crap food and huge quantity

3 hours ago, Jaelzion said:

Your BMI was barely in the obese category and people with lower BMI's often lose a bit slower. Even so, 20 pounds in 6 weeks isn't super slow. I lost 25 pounds in the first 8 weeks and I started with a BMI of 45. In my case the loss was slow but steady and just kept going month after month.

Also, there's a common stall that people hit at about 3-4 weeks out from surgery. It can take 2-4 weeks to resume losing after that. Are you sticking closely to your eating plan, getting enough Water, getting in your Protein, etc.? Are you respecting your tummy restriction and stopping before you are overfull? If so, I'd say just be patient. If you keep losing 20 pounds every 6 weeks, in 3 months you'll be down another 40 pounds (so 60 overall). You're doing fine.

I am sticking to the plan and tracking my food intake through myfitnesspal. Thank you for the encouragement. And congrats on how far you've come in your journey!

49 minutes ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

Do the math

6 weeks 20 pounds

12 weeks 40 pounds

18 weeks 60 pounds

24 weeks 80 pounds

30 weeks 100 pounds

So you are WLS impatient and anxious = Mental head games

You are on a good course just focus now on getting healthy! You do not have to wait till you get thin to get healthy lifestyle free of you addiction to crap food and huge quantity

It really is mental head games. And, it's amazing how much better that I feel already with since I've been eating healthy. That's what matters. Thanks.

I didn't lose much more than that in the first six weeks and I started out at over 300 lbs. Like someone else said, you're barely in the obese category, so there's no way you're going to lose as fast as someone starting out at 300 or 400 lbs. You are doing fine!

First, congrats on your surgery & your weight loss so far. Whoo hoo!

There’s a saying: the more you have to lose the faster you’ll lose at the beginning. But in saying that, we’re all different & some people lose very quickly & others lose very slowly. As your starting point is lower than many of us you’ll likely lose more slowly, however, if you’re losing 2- 4lbs a week on average to begin you’re doing well. Your loss will slow as you get closer to your goal.

It’s always good to consider you didn’t put your weight on in a couple of months so you can’t expect to lose it all in the same time.

Stick to the program, do the work and you’ll be successful. The surgery isn’t an easy fix. You’re changing your life & you want it to stick. It will happen.

Good luck.

20 pounds in 6 weeks is right on track. I had my procedure done the middle of June and also lost 20 pounds the first 6 weeks. Be patient. I know that we all want to wake up and be thin but it will happen. I'm down 47 pounds and have reached my first goal weight. I have less than 15 pounds to my final goal weight. It will happen for you too!!

trust me on this and us Vets around here will back me on this

This F$#$ckin surgery has major head game issues once you get them in line you will love the journey. It takes time and really focus on something else besides this journey. We all get caught up in the reward but for example i made taco Tuesday for 20 plus college kids today did it look down and say woof down 19 of them like the old days? No i had a few over 4 hours, I am a chef but still after getting over the addition to food can still cook.

I also got a dog since surgery to focus on something else, Once i lost 80 pounds my kids got me a lab puppy he has allowed me a new challenge to my new lifestyle; Gets me away from the head games.. If you are old like me DO not get a dang puppy lot of freakin work

Not going to be easy and we all understand but once you get you head off your old lifestyle stuff changes. Reach out anytime to any of us who has been there,

In closing

The surgery was a tool and it is up to you to get the workshop in order to use the tool the best of its benifits. Get healthy, Happy and enjoy the new life!

On 11/10/2020 at 10:05 AM, SamanthaC12 said:

I had ESG on 9/25/2020. I'm just over 6 weeks. I lost 10 pounds the first two weeks (I was very ill the first two weeks), but only 10 in the next four weeks. So, 20 pounds in 6 weeks. I expected to lose the weight faster than I am. Were my expectations unrealistic. My starting weight was 205, BMI 31 or 33. I'm 5'5".

Hi SamanthaC12,

Some time has passed...how is your weight loss coming along? I've been waxing and waning between whether to have the ESG vs VSG procedure. Are you still happy that you did the ESG procedure?

So for me, my BMI was a bit lower than what most doctors would consider for the VSG surgery. I really didn't want to go that route anyway. So, I was excited to learn about the ESG. It took me a LONG time to get my expectations in line. My friend had the gastric bi-pass and loss massive weight very quickly and I guess I had that in my head. But, she started out 100 pounds heavier than I did. While logically I knew I wouldn't drop weight that fast, somehow I kept being disappointed by slow and steady progress.

Even if I'd qualified for the VSG, I'd go the ESG route again. I'm still 20 pounds from my goal weight, but I'm fine with that. I've gone from a very tight size 16 to a comfortable 10. The most important thing is I'm comfortable in my skin for the first time since my early 20's.

My advice is don't wait. You can debate for another year and it will be putting your life on hold that much longer. You likely know in the back of your mind which route is the way you want to go. Pull the trigger and get things moving. Set realistic expectations. Do not expect this to be an easy fix. Instead of thinking of it as making weight loss easy, think of it as making weight loss completely possible and within reach. It will be hard and you will have set backs, even early on. This group helped me so much knowing it was just that, a small set back.

This is by far the best thing I've ever done for myself. Either route you choose will change your life for the better. Good luck!