Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slight but consistent pain/discomfort.

Hey guys, I am 6 weeks post op and everything has been stable for me for about 1-2 weeks now. I’ve had some ups and down with my BM’s but got that under control. I have been walking and driving and doing some of my usuals activities.

One thing that is still difficult that I’m not seeing a lot of on here is bending.

Bending to sit on the sofa, bending to tie shoes or pick something up off the floor. It is tricky and feels uncomfortable. I happen to bend right where my bellybutton is and I noticed 2-3 days ago some discomfort in the incision that’s 2 inches to the right of my bellybutton, essentially right where I bend. It isn’t a stabbing pain, more of an ache or pinching. It was sporadic before and has become a slight constant annoyance now.

Anyone know of a complication that happens in the right side abdomen near belly button that comes out later post op like this? I’m trying not to overreact because this is a long recovery journey and I need patience.
thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Zom B said:

Hey guys, I am 6 weeks post op and everything has been stable for me for about 1-2 weeks now. I’ve had some ups and down with my BM’s but got that under control. I have been walking and driving and doing some of my usuals activities.

One thing that is still difficult that I’m not seeing a lot of on here is bending.

Bending to sit on the sofa, bending to tie shoes or pick something up off the floor. It is tricky and feels uncomfortable. I happen to bend right where my bellybutton is and I noticed 2-3 days ago some discomfort in the incision that’s 2 inches to the right of my bellybutton, essentially right where I bend. It isn’t a stabbing pain, more of an ache or pinching. It was sporadic before and has become a slight constant annoyance now.

Anyone know of a complication that happens in the right side abdomen near belly button that comes out later post op like this? I’m trying not to overreact because this is a long recovery journey and I need patience.
thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what is normal after the surgery because I didn't have enough time to experience it before I was rushed to the hospital because a hernia got looped in my intestine. The pain after that was excruciating. However I don't think you have anything to worry about but I would check with Dr to make sure everything is fine.

Ever heard the old joke that begins "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this..." :)

The pinch is probably an internal stitch that is being pulled. There is a good chance it is a temporary stitch intended to give something a good change of healing correctly. When it dissolves enough you will no longer feel it.

Or it is something else easily explained and equally transient.

If you are still concerned, after all I'm just a voice on the interwebs, give your Doc a call. It's either nothing and they'll say so, or it's something and they'll have you come in, or more likely, discuss it at your next follow up.

My surgery was open, so I had such pains for quite a while. They'd appear out of nowhere, I'd compensate, then they'd disappear.

Good luck

Tek

Answer to joke: "Don't do that."

1 hour ago, Latanya said:

I'm not sure what is normal after the surgery because I didn't have enough time to experience it before I was rushed to the hospital because a hernia got looped in my intestine. The pain after that was excruciating. However I don't think you have anything to worry about but I would check with Dr to make sure everything is fine.

Oh my!!! Latanya, when did that happen? How are you feeling since then? I had a CT scan two weeks ago where they found a spot on my old stomach that the surgeon missed when stitching and there’s a slow leak that is taking longer to heal. They said it is rare but will slowly heal itself. I thought that was bad but your emergency hernia sounds terrifying. I’m sorry you went through that!

On 10/3/2020 at 5:14 AM, Latanya said:

Sounds awful hope its all good now

On 10/3/2020 at 7:04 AM, Zom B said:

Oh my!!! Latanya, when did that happen? How are you feeling since then? I had a CT scan two weeks ago where they found a spot on my old stomach that the surgeon missed when stitching and there’s a slow leak that is taking longer to heal. They said it is rare but will slowly heal itself. I thought that was bad but your emergency hernia sounds terrifying. I’m sorry you went through that!

Well that sounds awful too hopefully both of you will get better