Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Answer to "How Much have You Lost"

One of the first questions that family and friends ask me now that I'm over 7 months' post-surgery is "How much have you lost?"

I used to respond by giving them a number, but realized that the number didn't really didn't give them the whole picture.

Instead, I now respond by telling them what I've lost...and what I've gained.

I've lost my high blood pressure. I've lost my diabetes medication. I've lost my high risk of stroke. I've lost my high risk of heart disease. I've lost the pain in my knees, my legs, my ankles.

But I've also gained a lot. I've gained new self-confidence. I've gained the ability to play tennis, ride a bike, ride a horse, go hiking in the woods, or ride on a roller-coaster. I've gained a new perspective on what it means to enjoy life (hint: it's not about how much food I can put in my mouth or how much beer I can drink on the weekends). I've gained self-respect. I've gained the joy of inspiring my children and my husband to live better.

It took a while, but I've finally realized that it's not about the numbers or the dress size (although it is nice to see those go down :) ) It's more about the gift of Life that we have given ourselves.

So how much have YOU lost? And what have you gained?

To your point about people asking inappropriate questions, I would probably be a smart ass, which I know, I know, is terribly out of character:

"How much have you lost?"

"Looks like I might lose another friend that doesn't seem to understand not to ask inappropriate questions."

But, to the question you want us to answer:

While dealing with things that are better, like back, hip, knee, ankle, foot pain from carrying around an extra 1/4 ton of weight. Reduced Fatty Liver disease. Blood Pressure. sleep Apnea, Reflux.

But more other worldly were all the things I gained that I didn't realize I was missing, like DisneyWorld, walking, running, marathons, kayaking, horseback riding.

Tek

I thank you for such a brilliant and up-lifting post. I haven't had my surgery yet that's Nov 16th but I can only imagine all my co workers and family asking the same question. This is a hard and serious decision that we have made for our lives and a number will not be my focus. So I thank you again I needed to read this. May you have Continued Success and Growth.

48 minutes ago, amboyle728 said:

One of the first questions that family and friends ask me now that I'm over 7 months' post-surgery is "How much have you lost?"

I used to respond by giving them a number, but realized that the number didn't really didn't give them the whole picture.

Instead, I now respond by telling them what I've lost...and what I've gained.

I've lost my high blood pressure. I've lost my diabetes medication. I've lost my high risk of stroke. I've lost my high risk of heart disease. I've lost the pain in my knees, my legs, my ankles.

But I've also gained a lot. I've gained new self-confidence. I've gained the ability to play tennis, ride a bike, ride a horse, go hiking in the woods, or ride on a roller-coaster. I've gained a new perspective on what it means to enjoy life (hint: it's not about how much food I can put in my mouth or how much beer I can drink on the weekends). I've gained self-respect. I've gained the joy of inspiring my children and my husband to live better.

It took a while, but I've finally realized that it's not about the numbers or the dress size (although it is nice to see those go down :) ) It's more about the gift of Life that we have given ourselves.

So how much have YOU lost? And what have you gained?

right now i lost half my clothes lol and i hope to see improvement in the comorbities. hopefully soon!

I always lie and say 40 or 50 b/c I don't want people to do the math and figure out how much I used to weigh!! Most people are gracious and just say "you look great" without asking personal questions, but there are always a few nosy ones! LOL!!

I haven't been to work in 6 months due to a health issue that my doctor is STILL trying to figure out the cause of, but Saturday I went into work to shop (I work in retail) and bumped into a co-worker who hadn't seen me since long before I had my surgery due to her being on leave before I had my surgery and I was literally back at work for barely a week before going on leave again so we hadn't seen each other in almost a year and she stared at me for a moment before another co-worker pops up with "She lost so much weight you can barely recognize her, huh" I laughed when she told me that she thought maybe I had another sister and she hadn't wanted to say anything in case it wasn't me. Every time I go in to shop there I end up running into someone who does a double take and it makes me feel really good. I don't really notice it that much on a day to day. And although I know I'm wayyyy smaller than I was I don't always feel that way so it's really nice when I get complimented especially when I'm in the midst of a frustrating stall like when I bumped into my co-worker.

6 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

I don't really notice it that much on a day to day. And although I know I'm wayyyy smaller than I was I don't always feel that way so it's really nice when I get complimented especially when I'm in the midst of a frustrating stall like when I bumped into my co-worker.

So true! I don't see it myself either and am always pleasantly surprised when someone says how "good" I look! Like you, I know I am smaller because I had to get rid of so many clothes and I buy smaller sizes now, but I don't "see" it on a daily basis when I look in the mirror--I just see me...lol