Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CRAVING FOOD

omg I am 7 days post op and all I want is a nice slice of crispy pepperoni pizza... I constantly CRAVE food to the point i wanna just get something and chew it up and taste it and spit it out... this is unbearable lol

Be very careful. People I know have ended up in rehab seriously messed up for eating things like well-chewed steak too soon. How about some nice Jello?

It's a story as old as time...

First you look, just a quick look which turns into a long, langorous gaze, taking in every curve...

Then, you just must touch. Just a little touch. Before you know it, you're holding it, caressing the peperoni...

Next thing you know, you are waking up in a gutter with pizza stains on your cuff, wondering where your weekend went.

Nine months later, a pizza delivery guy shows up at your door with a package...

Tek

For the first 3 months the cravings are horrible. I hated Protein Shakes they made me physically sick. I craved pizza every single day. At night I dreamt about pizza and ice cream and hot fudge Sunday’s. You have to let your stomach heal. I just ate a lot of chicken noodle Soup, and stuff like that. I’m a big guy built like a linebacker. I love pizza and 1 year later, I can eat 1 slice and I’m overful and stomach hurting. Cramps, but I satisfy my craving. I can’t stress enough let. Your stomach heal. 25 days after my surgery last year was Halloween. I saved every single piece of candy last year in the past year I’ve probably eaten 3-5 pieces of chocolate candy bars etc, but that Halloween I craved and horded every piece of candy we passed out and I couldn’t touch it a year later it’s still in the cabinet. I try to eat healthier too but because I’m a big guy, I just don’t get enough calories going in to gain weight. I work out 4-5 days a week doing cardio.

they should have given you pain killers after surgery. If the cravings are going to threaten your life and kill you eating something that is banned, then take a pain killer once. Once only. I did that when I drove to Wendy’s and smelled the fast food. My cravings went away and I drove home before the high kicked in. I almost killed my self considering banned food 30-45 days aft surgery.

I still hoard food, over order, take food home I never eat after words, etc. I’m trying to live with the new me.

we’re all in this together. After about 6 months the dreams of food went away. The cravings are controllable now. No more painkillers either, only if I have bad cramps eating something sweet. Girlscout Cookies almost sent me to the ER the pain is so bad. Same with sugar Cereal. I can’t touch it period.

remember this too shall pass. Alcoholics Anonymous is a great support group. When I need to stop having a pity party, I go to an AA meeting or I get on my knees and pray. I’m not an alcoholic but AA is unconditional love. They accept and not judge everyone. If you sit and listen to other people fighting addictions and dealing with life, you will get a better perspective on your own healing and issues.

‘’cheers. Mark

8 hours ago, akacharmed said:

Just have things in moderation.

Not 7 days post op or you could really injure yourself enough to need surgery. Th sis happened to someone in my program. He was in rehab for a couple of months after they operated on him again. I don't mean to be scary but 7 days after surgery can be dangerous.

10 hours ago, akacharmed said:

Just have things in moderation.

not at seven days post-op, though.

For most people the cravings lessen as your body rids itself of the remaining hunger hormones...but head hunger is our "friend" for a long time! Please listen to the folks who have emphasized how dangerous eating anything solid, never mind pizza, so early is.

When I went to phase 2 I had some ricotta bake, if you search on here you will find the recipe, it tasted like the best Italian food in the world to me at the time.

Hang in there, it gets better and easier and you will taste food you love again!

What catwoman7 said way too early for that. Stay liquid!!!

Seriously...the first couple of weeks are the absolute worst. Everyone can attest to that. You're already through the first week, so that's great! It WILL get better. I promise. I know it's hard to think that right now, but in another 7 days, you'll be a step closer to pureed foods, which will go a LONG way to helping deal with those cravings. Sure, it won't be pizza, but you're still a step closer than you were.

The Ricotta Bake is a godsend because it will hit so many delicious Italian food marks that you may end up craving it instead. https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1793517

Seriously...bookmark that recipe and make it one of the first things you make when you get the okay to move to pureed/mushy foods.

You've got this and you're going to continue to kick butt. We've all been there in the hell of those first couple of weeks and we all made it through. You can too!