Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks out and have not lost weight

Hello, I’m looking for some encouraging words- I’m 4 weeks out from my gastric bypass. The two weeks prior to surgery I lost 20lbs, the week after surgery I lost another ten. But I’ve not lost any weight in 3 weeks. This experience has been really challenging as I had very bad reactions to the pain medication that put me back in the hospital. Then just recovery, it’s been rough. It’s a mind f@@@ when I’m not even loosing weight. I’m doing what’s been told to me to do and yet nothing. It feels like it was all for nothing.

31 minutes ago, Abbie_tom said:

Hello, I’m looking for some encouraging words- I’m 4 weeks out from my gastric bypass. The two weeks prior to surgery I lost 20lbs, the week after surgery I lost another ten. But I’ve not lost any weight in 3 weeks. This experience has been really challenging as I had very bad reactions to the pain medication that put me back in the hospital. Then just recovery, it’s been rough. It’s a mind f@@@ when I’m not even loosing weight. I’m doing what’s been told to me to do and yet nothing. It feels like it was all for nothing.

Hi, Sorry to hear about the stall. If you put stall in the search engine you will see that this has happened to many members on here and I'm sure there will be plenty of helpful tips. I had a tough recovery as well and just try to take it day by day.

Give your self sometime. Your body is adjusting. Make sure to drink you fluids and Protein Drinks. If I don't get my Protein in, I stall.. Stalls are very common. After the stall you should have a drop in weight. Keep positive. Don't step on the scale everyday. Try once a week or you will drive your self batty.😜

1 hour ago, RichelleGetsFit0309 said:

Hi, Sorry to hear about the stall. If you put stall in the search engine you will see that this has happened to many members on here and I'm sure there will be plenty of helpful tips. I had a tough recovery as well and just try to take it day by day.

I just am put off by there being a stall when I’m literally 4 weeks out from surgery. It’s like I’ve gone through all this hell and there is no pay off. I know that isn’t necessarily the right mind set but I need a win.

The three week stall is experienced by just about everyone but it can happen from week 2, 3 or 4 & can last 1-3 weeks. And you’ll experienced it again along this journey. Yes, it can really screw with your head. I thought of them as your body saying stop. what the hell are you doing to me or it taking a breath as it gets used to the changes you’re making (reduced food intake, changes to activity levels, the surgery, etc.).

Leave the scales alone for a few days. Did you take body measurements before your surgery? Sometimes you’ll see changes on a tape measure before you see them on the scales.

This is hard work. A lot of reflection, emotional ups & downs, changing habits & establishing new routines but it is sooooo worth it. Best decision I ever made. So many benefits. Keep a list of all your non scale victories a long the way to keep you motivated. Take photos of your shrinking body.

You’ll get through this & other hiccups along the way.

39 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

The three week stall is experienced by just about everyone but it can happen from week 2, 3 or 4 & can last 1-3 weeks. And you’ll experienced it again along this journey. Yes, it can really screw with your head. I thought of them as your body saying stop. what the hell are you doing to me or it taking a breath as it gets used to the changes you’re making (reduced food intake, changes to activity levels, the surgery, etc.).

Leave the scales alone for a few days. Did you take body measurements before your surgery? Sometimes you’ll see changes on a tape measure before you see them on the scales.

This is hard work. A lot of reflection, emotional ups & downs, changing habits & establishing new routines but it is sooooo worth it. Best decision I ever made. So many benefits. Keep a list of all your non scale victories a long the way to keep you motivated. Take photos of your shrinking body.

You’ll get through this & other hiccups along the way.

I needed this. Thank you

Hi abbie
Let me start by saying do not have regrets nor have discouragement. U can tweek the eating habits make a reversal and come out winning. Do you write down what you eat everyday & monitor your calorie? Allow me to share, i use carb manager. It is awesome. You can upload the app in your phone. Possibly include some walking? In addition, are you including Protein in your diet?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

So you have lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks. That sounds like a lot to me. You are still in the healing stage and your body is trying to adjust to this new way of life. All I can really say is take a deep breath, continue to follow your plan and trust the process! It works but not overnight! Just think about where you will be 6 months or a year from now. I think you'll be surprised if you just trust your team and follow their guidance . Good luck!

yep - sounds like the three week stall (which can really happen any time within the first 4-6 weeks after surgery). It happens to almost everyone. I wish clinics would warn their patients about this because it's EXTREMELY common, and people freak out about it when it happens if they aren't aware of this phenomenon beforehand. Just stick to your plan, stay off the scale for a few days, and know that it will end and you'll start losing weight again.

13 hours ago, Abbie_tom said:

Did you receive IV fluids in the hospital? That's usually the culprit for post hospital visit weight changes & stalls

Otherwise the common stall that everyone mentioned may have started

Good Luck ♥️

Edited by GreenTealael

Welcome to the forums.

Get rid of your scale. Your RNY doesn't need you to know your weight to work. You also won't be vexed by events of which you are currently vexed.

Personal anecdote: I was too large for any scale but my surgeons. Thus, I could only weigh at Doc's office. After months and months I was finally able to weigh at home. I did if a very few times just because I could, then I never weighed myself again, except at annual physicals.

Focus on your plan. Do your plan. It will work if you work it. [Cool cliche, huh?]

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Tek

Thanks for this post. I am day 23!!! and nothing. My sirgeon said this is sooooo normal. He said "Look at your knees, I can see your knee caps now." Lol. This is so true!!! I literally have no idea where the weight goes because the scale isn't showing it. You have received great alive here. I'm especially fond of only weighing at the doctors office since I literally have so many physical changes. Look for those. I just know soon we are going to be wonderful "losers" so I'm so glad we all have eachother to bounce things off of. Hang in there! I'm with ya!