Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

What type of exercise is everyone doing? Right now I'm just walking. I would like to incorporate weight lifting at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do Water aerobics that has both cardio and strength training. Traditional weigh lifting has never been my cup of tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do Pilates 5 days a week. I can’t go on walks because of hip problems. I wish I could!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, km13118 said:

I do Water aerobics that has both cardio and strength training. Traditional weigh lifting has never been my cup of tea.

I use to do weigh lighting but now I only have energy to walk for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MsMocie said:

I am a weight lifter, former competative power lifter, so I lift heavy things up and down and avoid cardio for what it is worth. Just make sure I get in 8-10k steps a day.

I want to start lifting soon. I want to have muscle so I won't be so flabby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, toodlerue said:

I do Pilates 5 days a week. I can’t go on walks because of hip problems. I wish I could!

I use to be a walker but now its a struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Latanya said:

What type of exercise is everyone doing? Right now I'm just walking. I would like to incorporate weight lifting at some point.

Hello

The gyms were reopened in NYC eff 9/2/2020 and I was In there. Currently, I am doing the treadmill 3.0 speed, 3.0 incline to burn fat. or sometimes I get on the treadmill.

In 2 weeks I plan to start doing light weights and abs.

If you are interested in working out more, find a workout that you like to do. There are tons of different types like Zumba, dance fitness, kickboxing with billy blanks etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

You don't actually burn fat by doing cardio. Granted steady state cardio is better than high intensity cardio for fatloss, but either way the amount of fat burn is limited.

Sorry, going to be a 'nudge' here:

90 miles a week and 5 marathons beg to differ. ;) From when I started to when I finished the 5th marathon, I dropped 150 pounds, which was about 40 too many. I'm pretty sure it was mostly fat.

Less effective exercise is better than no exercise.

I hated exercise, so never did any :)

Tek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MsMocie said:

No, cardio does not burn fat. Lifting weight does not either burn fat. The calorie expendure during boring running etc equals the same as going for a 1,5 hour shopping trip, only shopping is more fun. Only you get more hungrier.

The only thing that burns fat is caloric deficit. There are many ways to manipulate a caloric deficit, cardio is def not on the list of the best things.

People need to stop thinking cardio is a must to burn fat, because it is not. In fact the cardio left alone all together usually brings a better result as long as there is a dietary deficit, for example as it also cause the stress responder to wake up, keeping cortisol high. Thus making f.eks loosing belly fat difficult because belly reacts differently than the rest of the fat enzymes to stress.

I am not saying cardio is wrong, but for fatloss it is just a waste to endure endless hours on a treadmill or elliptical to achieve it. It does have it perks though on cardio vascular system, but nothing you can't gain by just getting in 10k steps a day doing your life.

You are being pedantic. I, however, also messed with your premise. Sorry.

Running a mile and walking a mile burn the same 100 (on average) calories. You just burn them a bit quicker the faster you move because you do the distance quicker.

Where do those calories being burned come from? First, from any free calories that may be in your digestive system. Once those are unavailable, from fat. Once those become unavailable or your body can't access fat quick enough, muscle, bone, brain.

Now that we agree on this, let's reason things out.

You go to the gym, stretch, get on your cardio machine for 30 minutes. You totally rock out, 6.0 speed. Cool, you burned, on average, 300 calories. You burned what was available in your system for the last 12 hours. No fat burn. You must do this, what, about 7 times to lose a pound. Look: You were right. Woohoo!

I, on the other hand, went outside. Time for a 15 mile run before work. 15 miles = about 1500 (on average) calories. Since i was eating less than 1200 a day, my body had to start converting fat. At some point in my longer runs, I also started converting muscle for energy, which became a problem.

So yeah, I burned fat during running.

Running on a treadmill is boring. The few times I had to do it I hated it. Running outside, around parks, golf courses, along the beach, listening to audio books, is both educational and fun.

Enjoy

Tek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

Sorry, going to be a 'nudge' here:

90 miles a week and 5 marathons beg to differ. ;) From when I started to when I finished the 5th marathon, I dropped 150 pounds, which was about 40 too many. I'm pretty sure it was mostly fat.

Less effective exercise is better than no exercise.

I hated exercise, so never did any :)

Tek

that is awesome.

So what do you recommend I focus on doing most in the gym. I am open to recommendations. This is my 2nd week in since NYC opened the gym and I am ready to do other things in the gym.

Missy C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MISTY_CEE035 said:

that is awesome.

So what do you recommend I focus on doing most in the gym. I am open to recommendations. This is my 2nd week in since NYC opened the gym and I am ready to do other things in the gym.

Missy C

I am not a runner. I would much rather confine myself to the gym setting rather than run around in NYC. Its pretty wild in these streets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MISTY_CEE035 said:

that is awesome.

So what do you recommend I focus on doing most in the gym. I am open to recommendations. This is my 2nd week in since NYC opened the gym and I am ready to do other things in the gym.

Missy C

I suggest you talk to your Doc/Nut and ask what their exercise program for you would look like.

If the gym is really your thing, talk to a trainer.

I don't care for exercise for it's own sake. Never did it, never will. As such, I had no reason to research the 'optimal' approaches nor what happens to our bodies while doing it. It seems like MsMockie *HAS* done such research on gym type exercise.

My advise to me was: Do what I like, as I won't sustain what I don't. I like walking around doing stuff. I thought being able to run 3 miles would be an interesting challenge. Then I started binge running. It wasn't about exercise, it was about enjoying what I was doing.

Good luck.

Tek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MsMocie said:

The first year you will probably gain little muscle. Muscle need a calorie surpluss to grow, and you won't have it. But you preserver the muscle mass you have at least. And make sure your BMR does not sink.

OK. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

I suggest you talk to your Doc/Nut and ask what their exercise program for you would look like.

If the gym is really your thing, talk to a trainer.

I don't care for exercise for it's own sake. Never did it, never will. As such, I had no reason to research the 'optimal' approaches nor what happens to our bodies while doing it. It seems like MsMockie *HAS* done such research on gym type exercise.

My advise to me was: Do what I like, as I won't sustain what I don't. I like walking around doing stuff. I thought being able to run 3 miles would be an interesting challenge. Then I started binge running. It wasn't about exercise, it was about enjoying what I was doing.

Good luck.

Tek

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×