Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All the DS Switch friends

I have decided on having the ds switch. I need your absolute honest opinions on the surgery. The good vs the bad, what you would do differently and if you would do it again or no way. Give me the good, bad and ugly. Thanks in advance.

I am getting ready to revise to DS from sleeve. I don’t know how many DS people we have on here, although I think it is starting to get slightly more popular.

I haven't had it but would have considered it if my insurance would have covered it (they didn't - they just covered sleeve and bypass). It's the most powerful of the common WLS surgeries - but there's a greater chance of malabsorption that there is with the bypass, so it's even MORE important to keep on top of your supplements. Most people I know of who've had it (although there aren't many I know who have...) have been really happy with it, though.

all i "think i know" is that most dr. consider this to be the "big one" and if you can't lose with the DS... hmmmm

Also that it's the end of the line and there are no more aggressive WLS than the DS.... but i could be wrong.

Well I'm 7 months out with the Loop DS and yes I'd do it all over again.

One thing I'd change though if I could go back in time I'd smack myself for trying low carb wheat bread. OMG they tell you that you won't have dumping syndrome with the DS and I call bullsh*t because I had classic symptoms of dumping syndrome after trying that low carb wheat bread. It was soooo bad! Needless to say I now avoid wheat products like the PLAGUE! -_-"

I also couldn't eat Jello. It made my stomach feel like it was flipping so I couldn't eat it and I haven't tried it since liquid phase since I'm not a fan anyway...

Also, I was the odd ball out as my surgeons office said I'm their first Loop DS patient who had issues with Constipation. It CAN happen! Turns out my body just absorbs Iron really, really, REALLY well so I only have to take 1 multi with iron and two without.

My six month labs also showed a slight Vitamin A deficiency, but I'm now taking extra Vitamin A so it's fine now. The deficiency caused an outbreak of my psoriasis though which really sucks.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Edit: I forgot to mention something that I WISH they would have told me about because I freaked out and it turned out to be normal. So with DS and Loop DS you can sometimes vomit old blood after the surgery. I vomited old blood for the first two days (only like five times though) and it was scary the first time it happened because they didn't WARN me! My mom and I both freaked out! Anyway, it may not happen to you because some people are lucky like that, but it did happen to me and I thought you'd want to know it's a POSSIBILITY so that you don't panic if it happens to you. It hurts like hell when it happens, but I'd still do it all over again.

Edited by NovaLuna
remembered something

I am still not very far out. I had Loop DS on July 23rd. I wouldn't have even known about this surgery if my first surgeon wasn't let go because of COVID. I had planned to get RNY. I went to a different and since my bmi was 69 he suggested Loop DS. I was self pay so I didn't have to worry about insurance.
I chose this because of my starting weight being so high (I was 393 at 5'3"), and because diabetes runs in my family. I did not have it yet and I'd rather not get it. I also have fatty liver disease which is why I chose wls in the first place.
I've lost 55 pounds altogether, and 30 since my surgery.
I do not regret this surgery at all.. So far I've tolerated every food I've tried, which I am so happy about. I am not having diarrhea, except once or twice. I'm mostly having some Constipation.< br>The surgery was not too painful, but I did have a lot of nausea the first few days, but I'm pretty sure I had a kidney stone which caused that, because I passed one later.
I'm feeling amazing, even though I have a long way to go. I was to the point of barely being able to get around and there is so much improvement already!
I knew since I had to pay for this, I only had one shot, so I picked what my surgeon calls "the most powerful operation", and I'm so glad I did!

Sent from my moto g(6) using BariatricPal mobile app

Well I'm 7 months out with the Loop DS and yes I'd do it all over again.
One thing I'd change though if I could go back in time I'd smack myself for trying low carb wheat bread. OMG they tell you that you won't have dumping syndrome with the DS and I call bullsh*t because I had classic symptoms of dumping syndrome after trying that low carb wheat bread. It was soooo bad! Needless to say I now avoid wheat products like the PLAGUE! -_-"
I also couldn't eat Jello. It made my stomach feel like it was flipping so I couldn't eat it and I haven't tried it since liquid phase since I'm not a fan anyway...
Also, I was the odd ball out as my surgeons office said I'm their first Loop DS patient who had issues with Constipation. It CAN happen! Turns out my body just absorbs Iron really, really, REALLY well so I only have to take 1 multi with iron and two without.
My six month labs also showed a slight Vitamin A deficiency, but I'm now taking extra Vitamin A so it's fine now. The deficiency caused an outbreak of my psoriasis though which really sucks.
If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Edit: I forgot to mention something that I WISH they would have told me about because I freaked out and it turned out to be normal. So with DS and Loop DS you can sometimes vomit old blood after the surgery. I vomited old blood for the first two days (only like five times though) and it was scary the first time it happened because they didn't WARN me! My mom and I both freaked out! Anyway, it may not happen to you because some people are lucky like that, but it did happen to me and I thought you'd want to know it's a POSSIBILITY so that you don't panic if it happens to you. It hurts like hell when it happens, but I'd still do it all over again.
I also vomited old blood the first 2 days and my book they gave me clearly says do everything to avoid vomiting at you don't mess up the surgery. I was freaking out, but no one seemed concerned.
Woulda been nice to know that might happen!

Sent from my moto g(6) using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi all!

I am having my surgery 10/2. I want to learn from actual DS patients. Any and all advice is welcomed. ❤️