Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I read a study that said that 38 percent of people who get the sleeve end up revising it to RNY later. I’m self-pay and I want to get it right the first time.

I choose the sleeve because it's less rerouting of my internal stuff and that helps me feel more "normal." But I'm still so on the fence about even going through with it that I can talk myself out of it 5 times a day. I might not be your best source of advice...

I chose the bypass because of the dumping felt like I might need that reminder of I shouldn't be eating that. Haven't had any dumping episodes yet and I'm trying my hardest to avoid any helps that I'm still on pureed foods figure it will get harder as I move to the next stage. My mom had the sleeve she hasn't had any problems so far and it's been a few months.

I went in fully thinking i was doing the sleeve. 1 session with my surgeon And he conceived me otherwise. I didn't once think back to maybe i should stick to the original plan. He said its been around alot longer. Better results and he felt really confident in doing it- SOLD! Lol. So far happy with my decision & 5 days post op.

I chose RnY due to some previous reflux issues and because I had a relatively high starting bmi. One month out, happy with my decision so far!

I read a study that said that 38 percent of people who get the sleeve end up revising it to RNY later. I’m self-pay and I want to get it right the first time.
That is exactly what happened to me. I had horrible gerd and had a revision 4 years after surgery.

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I chose bypass b/c I had a history of GERD, and knew the sleeve would only make the GERD worse. Happy to say I'm GERD-free since the bypass! It's weird to not carry TUMS in my purse anymore!

I didn't have a choice, I had to have Gastric Bypass because I had a Nissen for my reflux. I was told when I had the Nissen surgery that I would only be able to have the Bypass so I wasn't surprised. It was a serious decision to have WLS but I was in serious trouble.

For me, it was the more long-term effects of the bypass. It's been studied longer and there is more data. Obvi, sleeve will never catch up to it since it was developed after, but with the sleeve, a nurse at the bariatric center said she had a cookie (about 3 months out from her sleeve) and it didn't hurt and it triggered something mentally in her.

I know myself too well to allow that to happen.. meaning, eating foods i shouldn't bc they dont cause any issues. so i went w/the bypass. It has the back up "dumping" syndrome which is an alarm of eating something you shouldn't. That alone, is enough to scare me from eating what I shouldnt. So far, it's kept me from eating a lot of things i truly do enjoy, but can't have. maybe one day I can have a bit or two of something.. but for now, i dont want to chance it.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, Chrissylynn80 said:

What made people decide to get the bypass over the sleeve? My sister recommends sleeve but shes had many issues.

comorbities. if you have something called diabetes/prediabetes its more likely to resolve after bypass than sleeve statistically. I have gerd which is a counter indication for sleeve- it can get worse with sleeve. Consider you body's specific conditions so you can come out with best health

I am on the fence about this as well. I started out wanting the sleeve, but now think the bypass is a better option.

What made people decide to get the bypass over the sleeve? My sister recommends sleeve but shes had many issues.

Im only 40 days out from sleeve but no problems and down 35lbs already. I preferred bypass bc my mom is 15 years out, i thought bypassers lost more weight and faster, and i believed bypass had less "failed" patients... but my doc said the "failed percentage" is only a bit lower for bypassers, i was self pay and my husband didnt want to spend 25k instead of 17k for bypass instead of sleeve. Also, my surgeon doesnt do bypass on former smokers bc he doesnt believe they will stop for good and bypass has even worse risks and complications due to smoking so I went with sleeve.i questioned myself a million times about rny vs sleeve until i had it. Now im glad i chose sleeve:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app