Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Good to Eat after the Post-Op Diet?

I posted this information on another thread or two, but I thought some other folks might find it helpful as well. Sorry it's so long--the short version is that I basically eat what "normal" people eat minus the fat, sodium, tons of carbs, and in smaller portions. No rocket science needed--I promise! If I can do this, you can do this! :girl_hug:

The first thing I do is eat out of plastic containers that hold only a cup of food at the most to control portion sizes or I use a dessert sized plate rather than a dinner plate. It's a psychological thing! I usually aim for 1/2 cup of Protein at each meal then add in veggies, etc. Some people can eat more than a cup of food at a sitting which is fine--everyone is different. I'm a little shrimp--only 5'4" so my tummy is probably smaller than some folks'! As long as you're still losing, it's all good! :)

I eat three "meals" a day and I try my best not to eat at all after 6 PM. I never drink when I eat and I don't snack between meals. Instead, I drink Water in various forms between meals (up to 30 minutes before a meal and not for an hour after eating) and strive to get in 64 ounces a day to flush out fat, keep from retaining too much water, and to stay hydrated. I don't really like plain water, so I got a PUR water filter and flavoring cartridge that I attached to my faucet. I either make flavored water by the glass or keep a pitcher in the fridge to fill up my water bottle. I drink Crystal Light, too.

For dairy foods, I'll usually eat the low-carb 4 oz. yogurts although I find that yogurt does not do a very good job filling me up! I do still make Protein shakes with store brand skim lactaid milk (I'm still working on my bottomless container of Champion Nutrition whey Protein powder from a year ago)! I usually make it with about 8 ounces of liquid, 1 scoop of powder, and enough crushed ice to raise the volume to 10 ounces. I buy fat free cottage cheese and eat 1/2 cup with different things mixed in. I might add a teaspoon of sugar free strawberry jam (10 whole calories!) or a tablespoon of yogurt just to add some flavor. My doctor advised me not to add fruit like applesauce to it to avoid eating too many carbs. I eat string cheese sometimes with about 4 whole wheat crackers. I tried the lowfat version once, but wasn't too crazy about it. I also eat Egg Beaters for Breakfast often. Some stores sell flavored Egg Beaters--Southwest/Garden Vegetables, etc. Those are pretty good. I usually buy the plain kind and add something to it (chopped scallions, salsa, a sprinkle of cheese, chopped onions, peppers, and tomatoes, etc.). You can also play with spices as well.

I eat refried Beans pretty often. I take a 1/2 cup of fat-free refried beans and combine it with a tablespoon or so of different types of salsa just to make it more interesting (peach salsa, pineapple salsa, etc.). Sometimes I add a teaspoon of fat free sour cream or a little sprinkle of shredded cheese on top (emphasis on little sprinkle--cheese can have a lot of fat).

I also eat canned salmon a lot. I'll take a 1/2 cup of canned salmon and stir in different things (chopped scallions, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, dill, etc.). If you buy a couple of plum tomatoes instead of the big ones, that makes enough to mix in without having a lot of Tomato left over to spoil. I add to that fat free Mayonnaise or a fat free dressing that goes well with salmon. I do the same with canned tuna. I always rinse tuna (packed in water, not oil) in a collander to wash off the salt, too. That's an old habit I picked up from my dad's diet plan after he had a heart attack years ago. I also season salmon steaks with lemon juice and pepper and broil or bake it and then serve it with non-starchy veggies (not corn, peas, etc.). I enjoy other types of fish as well (bake tilapia topped with salsa or canned chipotle peppers with adobo sauce which is very spicy, bake any white fish with a can of chopped tomatoes over it, etc.). All of these fish ideas can be split into smaller serving sizes and frozen.

I make stir-fry often with chicken or shrimp and frozen stir-fry veggies. It's very quick and easy, and you can freeze the leftovers in small portions for another time. I find it's too salty if I use regular soy sauce, so I usually buy the low sodium kind. I make a basic soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch sauce found in most cookbooks. I usually cook rice for my son, but I don't usually eat any because I eat the meat and veggies first in my little plastic container and I get filled up.

For chicken, I have the best luck if I use chicken broth to cook it. Dry chicken and I don't get along well! Blech! Sometimes I'll cook a whole package of boneless chicken breast in my pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth or a can of diced or stewed tomatoes to keep the meat moist. Once the meat cools, I'll chop it up and freeze it in 4 oz. serving sizes. I'll mix the cold or hot cubed chicken with all kinds of things. For warm meals, I'll heat the chicken up with some salsa, chopped tomatoes, or frozen non-starchy veggies. I'll add the cold chicken to salads, add fat free mayonnaise and scallions to make cold chicken salad, or grind it up with FF mayo and eat it on a few whole-wheat crackers. I use turkey the same way.

I haven't quite mastered making pork easy to eat yet. I'm still working on it. I can't eat shake 'n Bake pork chops anymore. Again, if it's too dry, I gag on it! :puke:I do have beef on occasion, but I make an effort to eat fish, chicken, and dairy more often.

I do purchase frozen meals sometimes (Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc.). I try to buy the ones that have just meat and veggies like steak tips and broccoli or roast turkey and veggies. If it's too much, I'll save the rest for another meal. I eat Morningstar Farms veggie patties, too. The black bean ones topped with salsa are pretty good. If I buy a salad, I find that it lasts me for a good 2-3 meals. I dip my lettuce in the dressing as I eat rather than pouring the dressing all over the salad. It stays crisp a bit longer that way.

You'll notice that I didn't mention the words bread or potato. I do eat some of these, but sparingly and only after I've eaten my protein and veggies. I'll have a toast with Peanut Butter on occasion for breakfast. I can say now that I no longer eat doughy foods like doughnuts or cinnamon rolls. I avoid processed carbs as much as I can (chips, Snacks in the cookie/cracker aisle, etc.). The fresher the food, the better! Shop mainly on the outside "ring" of the grocery store--produce, meat, dairy, and frozen veggies.

I sometimes end up going out at lunch with colleagues which could be a problem. I do my best to pick the lesser of all of the evils on the menu.

For example, at Wendy's I'll get just a grilled chicken sandwich, eat the insides of it, and leave the bread behind, get a salad, or I'll order just a cup of chili. At Burger King or McDonald's, I order the grilled chicken sandwich (not a combo meal--no fries, onion rings, or drink--just the sandwich) or get a salad with fat free dressing.

If a pizza place serves salad, I go with that or sometimes a wrap sandwich (I usually have leftovers with either option). If the pizza place only serves pizza, I order a slice of veggie pizza and eat mostly the toppings on it.

Mexican food can be tricky because a lot of it is loaded with fat from cheese, sour cream, and guacomole. I usually get fajitas and eat mainly the meat and veggies. I like getting that because I get a lot of leftovers out of one meal! Less work for me! :whoo:

If I'm stuck picking up something real quick at WaWa's (a gas station convenience store), I look for yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese, South Beach Protein Bars (19g of protein and low carb!), or Slim-Fast Optima shakes (low carb).

No one has ever said anything about my weird eating habits when we go out. They aren't blind--they can see I'm fat! They just assume I'm on a diet and they marvel at my great "willpower." :P

I don't know if any of this babbling helps at all, but at least I've tossed a few ideas out there that might appeal to anyone who is struggling to figure out what to eat! Part of learning to live with the band is changing your thinking--the hardest part of this journey is overcoming what your brain is telling you from years and years of bad habits. If you make the food taste good and look good, you won't miss junk food at all. By the way, sugar free jello/puddings with lite cool whip can help satisfy a sweet tooth, too!

I feel like I'm a successful bandster not because I lost 100 lbs. in a year (which I most definitely haven't), but because I'm focusing on the good things I can eat and not bemoaning all of the foods I really shouldn't be eating in the first place. I'm choosing to lose weight at a slower pace than some folks--I'm not in a race with anyone but myself. I'm trying to make good choices to be healthy in order to change my lifestyle. I want to make lasting changes, not fall victim to the "fad diet" quick fix mentality if that makes sense. I didn't spend money to get banded and go back on the cabbage Soup diet, if you know what I mean! My band is just a tool to help me curb my appetite--the behavior modification and exercise is all up to me!

Good luck on your weight-loss journey! :clap2: If you have any other fantastic suggestions, please add them on so we can help out anyone who is stuck!!!

I haven't quite mastered making pork easy to eat yet. I'm still working on it. I can't eat shake 'n Bake pork chops anymore. Again, if it's too dry, I gag on it! :puke:I do have beef on occasion, but I make an effort to eat fish, chicken, and dairy more often.

This is a great post, many helpful tips.

I sometimes get a lean cut of pork and grind it myself in the food processor. I like it a little chunckier than the ground pork

you can buy at the grocery, plus it has a lot less fat.

I make chili, spaghetti sauce and meatloaf and I like it better that beef. Something about the chopping before it is cooked makes it more band friendly.

This is a great post full of wonderful ideas! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I also share your philosophy and will be very pleased if I am as successful as you have been. :clap2:

THANK YOU !!

I was banded on 11/19 and have been struggling with what to eat .. I've had a won-ton Soup from the chinese place EVERY DAY ...

Starting today - I will try YOUR way :P

Great advice, Transformer, thanks for taking the time to put all this out there.

One thing I really like with tuna fish is mixing it with horseradish. It gives the tuna a bit of a kick and doesn't add much of anything calorie-wise.

I feel like I'm living on egg beaters with a teaspoon of bacon bits and either cottage cheese or regular shredded cheese. Probably because I have it at least once a day!

I'm a sucker for the FF/SF fudgcicles, too. I have to stop buying them but they're such a great little treat at 40 calories (and even 2 grams of protein!)

It's only been a month, but I too feel like I'm finding new things to eat all the time that are good, healthy, and make it down. :lol: