Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I spent a lot of money on protein but I can't drink any of it

Hi everyone.

I'm on pre-op and I bought enough Protein to last into post-op. Stupidly.

Isopure unflavored

Isopure zero carb vanilla

nectar lemon ice tea

Premier Protein pack of 12 clear protein peach

Reccomended by the clinic doing the surgery. Reccomended based on my issues - I'm lactose intolerant. I dislike milk in general. I don't enjoy milkshakes.

The first clear protein peach was nice. The first nectar was ok, minis the off putting color that made me feel weird. Tasting a clear liquid liked iced tea, but brain saw a milky liquid in the glass.

Day two, I try the vanilla from isopure. Smells makes me gag. Added matcha powder in it. Still disgusting.

Tried putting some isopure unflavored in to lukewarm beef stock. Chalky. Starts to clump. Manage to drink it.

Day three, I try another clear drink. This time it tastes too sweet. And the aftertaste is sickening. Later that day I try another lemon ice tea. I'm literally gag at the smell. I have to hold my nose to chug it.

I don't know what to do. I stupidly spent a lot of money on this stuff trying to be prepared, we're moving house the weekend after my surgery, I also don't drive, which is why I ordered so much in advance.

Today I'm lying in bed, 6 days until surgery, and even the thought of Greek yogurt and cottage cheese makes me sick. Protein Powder sounds like a torture right now.

Help a milk-hater out.

TLDR: diary of my protein powder tasting. It's all disgusting. Please give advice.

Hold your nose while drinking it. It will reduce your ability to taste it. Then before you let go of your nose you take a swig of Water to clear the taste. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-A102U using BariatricPal mobile app

Too hot if liquids can cause clumping. It might be the Protein powder you use. I use Syntrax most of the time and it is but I also have found that some of the plant based protein powders are better for people who are averse to milk. Try Vega. It’s pretty good.

Oh and I also blend a lot of mine with almond milk or Water and ice. It changes the consistency a bit and makes them easier to drink.

Same happened to me. We bought the Peach and like 5 cases of different Premier Proteins. We got through 3.5 of the cases but can't finish. It is too sweet, and I can only force myself to drink half.

The pre Mades are a issue for some people, Try making you own there are some experts on this site with great tasting mixes

Here was mine for 8 Months

1. 2 percent Milk, One scope of MRE Powder and scoop of Peanut Butter Protien Powder - Dried Peanut butter and a bannanna

2. Same as above but with Blueberry and Bannanas

I did the same thing trying to find different flavors I could handle... I ended up giving most of the powders and premades to a friend doing Keto.

I made my way through pre-op, then used Boost for diabetics while I was post-op until I didn't need to drink Protein Drinks anymore, and ditched them entirely in lieu of actual food.

Hi everyone.
Isopure unflavored
nectar lemon ice tea
Premier Protein pack of 12 clear Protein peach

Reccomended by the clinic doing the surgery. Reccomended based on my issues - I'm lactose intolerant. I dislike milk in general. I don't enjoy milkshakes.
The first clear protein peach was nice. The first nectar was ok, minis the off putting color that made me feel weird. Tasting a clear liquid liked iced tea, but brain saw a milky liquid in the glass.

Day two, I try the vanilla from isopure. Smells makes me gag. Added matcha powder in it. Still disgusting.
Tried putting some isopure unflavored in to lukewarm beef stock. Chalky. Starts to clump. Manage to drink it.
Day three, I try another clear drink. This time it tastes too sweet. And the aftertaste is sickening. Later that day I try another lemon ice tea. I'm literally gag at the smell. I have to hold my nose to chug it.
I don't know what to do. I stupidly spent a lot of money on this stuff trying to be prepared, we're moving house the weekend after my surgery, I also don't drive, which is why I ordered so much in advance.
Today I'm lying in bed, 6 days until surgery, and even the thought of Greek yogurt and cottage cheese makes me sick. Protein Powder sounds like a torture right now.
Help a milk-hater out.
TLDR: diary of my protein powder tasting. It's all disgusting. Please give advice.

Try a vegan protein powder. If your lactose intolerant there's no wonder. Orgain makes a decent one. I get one from gainful.com. it's a semi custom blend, and they will work with WLS cases.

Eddy Blaine Brown II

I found that if I diluted the Premier Protein Clear, it became much more drinkable! (Plus added Water to my goal)

Yep same gave some to mates

Yeah, there seems to be a few of us who have had difficulties with Protein powders. I have a huge tub of supposedly unflavoured pea protein. It tasted terrible & I love peas!

On 8/3/2020 at 7:47 AM, DimsumQueen said:

Hi everyone.

Isopure unflavored

nectar lemon ice tea

Help a milk-hater out.

I like Ensure protein. I have chocolate and drink one a day 30g. of Protein little sugars. After surgery, everything tastes bad so just stick with it. I pour it over ice every morning.

Orgain organic Protein. Little pricey but it's vegan. I also have troubles with dairy products my mother bought a bunch of premiere Protein Shakes and some protein waters from another brand. They all have whey protein which is a dairy based protein. After surgery when i got home I tried to drink them and I actually got incredibly sick. I felt worse than I had in the hospital. I stopped drinking them and stuck to Water for the day since I could not go out at the time and there's no postmates around here. I had my fiance pick me up that protein powder and made my own protein shakes. I definitely feel stronger, better, less gassy and less nauseous now. So if you have a dairy intolerance of any sort you should try doing this. It really did help. Hope it helps you

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Try Fairlife Nutrition Plan shakes - 30g Protein lactose free - I'm lactose intolerant and it works for me. Orgain works as someone else said but less protein. Hope it helps!

On 8/3/2020 at 7:47 AM, DimsumQueen said:

Hi everyone.

Isopure unflavored

nectar lemon ice tea

Help a milk-hater out.

I am also a milk hater. I refused to drink milk after the age of 2. I hate the smell, the texture, and the flavor. I was really worried about the milk-based Protein Shakes.

I am drinking Premier Protein chocolate. It definitely took much getting used to because of my aversion to milk. I started with part of a carton, then a full, then two a day. Now I’m on my liquid diet (surgery in 12 days) and I’m ok with it. I just had to get used to it. Now I wouldn’t say I love it, but I don’t hate it either. I really had to build up to it though.