Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been feeling pretty good about how I have done with my weight loss. That is until this past week when my husband and my son separately told me that I need to do something about my loose skin. That it looks bad and I need to tighten it up. I have loose skin on my upper arms, thighs and a bit on my upper calves. Are there any exercises that you all have done that are effective in tightening these areas up? I have started with some light dumb bells for my arms, but am clueless as far as my legs go. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

That is really unkind. you've lost weight and gotten healthier. I'm sorry they aren't being more supportive, you have so much to be proud of! be kind to yourself. :)

Thank-you I appreciate that!

I can't believe they told you that! Especially your son! Anyways, be proud of yourself! :D As far as exercises for loose skin.... it's more of a genetics game, and how far your skin has been stretched, age, etc. Sometimes, nothing will help except skin removal surgery. I wish you the best of luck!

Just Wow!! That is a rotten thing to say to you after all your hard work. I have read on the forums that sometimes skin snaps back somewhat but that can take up to a year. Exercise is a good idea regardless of whether it has the desired effect. See how things stand in a years time and keep up the good work. You have done a stellar job.

doing weights - either machines or hand weights - and doing things like squats, lunges, bike riding - will all help somewhat, but if it's really bad, plastic surgery is the only way to get rid of it. And I agree with the others- that was horrible for them to say that to you!

Posted (edited)

I'm so sorry they pointed out your loose skin which I'm sure you had already noticed. I'm dealing with the same thing and have been excercising religiously, light arm weights, yoga, bike riding and swimming. I also put coconut oil on my arms, legs and neck, although I have no idea if this really helps, just read it somehwhere, so figured it couldn't hurt. LOL! I saw a young lady yesterday who is 4 years post surgery, and her arms looked worse than mine, but she's lost more than 100 pounds. From my reading, I think toning and building muscle will help some, but there's no absolute fix unless you have surgery, which I am not considering. Like others mentioned, I am hoping my skin will tighten a little after a year, but I'm 57, so it may not, and I'm okay with that because I still look and feel better. How old are you? It's the very top of my thighs and my batwings that bother me, but, oh well. At my age, I'm not trying to get skinny, just healthy, and if I feel good at 170, I may try to maintain that to avoid more sagging, instead of losing to 160.

Edited by rene50