Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

What does this actually mean?
I know with the sleeve, Snacks were “slider foods”. 

With the revision I’ve read dumping a lot. 

Is that bowel changes or vomitting? 

I would think diarrhea as you dont have a stomach like you did prior to the sleeve and the sleeve. 

I will have to research more. 

I would have to be out to dinner when the time comes and then have to run to the bathroom or be on vacation etc lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, dumping just made me really sick.. Didn’t affect bathroom habits, just felt really sick for about 40 min. Came on about 20 min after eating too much sugar. Best thing was to lie down and try to sleep it off. Definitely prevented over indulging, at least for first 18 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one time I dumped was when I added half a ripe banana* to a Protein Shake. I violently shook within two minutes of a couple sips of the shake. I felt like violently going to the bathroom and vomiting, but did not do either. Had to lie down for about 30 minutes to recover. It was definitely a scary experience. If you dump, you will know it.

*Ripe bananas always gave me trouble, so I was probably asking for dumping in this case. I've eaten unripe/slightly green bananas since and haven't dumped. Although it took about three months before I had the courage to try bananas again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use to sweat and get hot on a cup of coffee in the morning with sleeve. I decided to not drink it with this revision but I changed my mind and took a chance this morning and nothing happened. Go Figure lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it doesn't happen to everyone - most RNY'ers I know have never dumped. I've read about 30% do, but I don't know if that's an actual researched statistic or just some number that people throw around, but I'd say it sounds at least ballpark, just based on anecdotal evidence I've seen over the last few years.

it happens when too much sugar hits the small intestine at once and your body goes into overdrive trying to deal with. It doesn't happen nearly as much with sleevers because they still have a functional pyloric valve that controls how much is going into the small intestine at one time. RNY'ers no longer have that because our pyloric valve has been bypassed.

It can cause severe diarrhea (I don't think vomiting is as common, but some people have that, too). Also shaking, chills, cramps, flushing, rapid heartbeat, and light-headedness

it can be controlled by limiting - or avoiding - sugar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. I've never dumped, but I used to vomit occasionally if I ate too fast, too much, or if something didn't agree with me (and that was NOT dumping). Of course, I will still vomit (five years later) if I eat too fast or too much, but you pretty much figure out the first few weeks after surgery what doesn't agree with you. So the situation you described (having to vomit while you're eating out somewhere) sometimes happens during the early post-op period, but once you figure out what your body can tolerate, it's pretty rare unless you overeat or eat too fast.

also, you'll get all the usual "I have to vomit" symptoms and can make it to a bathroom in time, so it's not like you're going to do in the middle of a restaurant.

also, vomiting is WAY easier after surgery. I wouldn't say it's PLEASANT, but it's a lot less dreadful than it is before surgery. Not much contents in your stomach. And not nearly as much acid in there, either, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumping is a syndrome that may occur following gastric bypass surgery. Often it is discussed in relation to RNY but it can occur with other bypass surgeries. Not everyone dumps.

When part of the intestine is bypassed, sugar and fat are digested differently. The digestive tract can handle small amounts but if you over load your digestive tract dumping may result.

Dumping may include any or all of the following in no particular order: dizziness, weakness, nausea, headache, sleepiness, foaming, vomiting, sweating, hot flashes, headache.

I dumped once after sipping Water immediately following a few strips of bacon. Half an hour later, the world was spinning and I was hot flashing. After forty-five minutes sitting with my head between my knees it began to pass.

This was about two months post op RNY. I now place my liquids out of reach until 30 minutes after eating. I never want to experience this again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot flashes?? Are they different than postmenopausal ones?? Maybe all those hot flashes have been dumping rather than postmenopausal in nature.....great, now I have TWO chances for the damned things....grumble...😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, waterwoman said:

For me, dumping just made me really sick.. Didn’t affect bathroom habits, just felt really sick for about 40 min. Came on about 20 min after eating too much sugar. Best thing was to lie down and try to sleep it off. Definitely prevented over indulging, at least for first 18 months.

Okay - I've felt that then with the sleeve.... I just didn't know if it was like a rush to the restroom... that's all ya need on vacation LOL

18 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

Hot flashes?? Are they different than postmenopausal ones?? Maybe all those hot flashes have been dumping rather than postmenopausal in nature.....great, now I have TWO chances for the damned things....grumble...😡

oh boy!

7 hours ago, MSWDiet said:

Dumping is a syndrome that may occur following gastric bypass surgery. Often it is discussed in relation to RNY but it can occur with other bypass surgeries. Not everyone dumps.

When part of the intestine is bypassed, sugar and fat are digested differently. The digestive tract can handle small amounts but if you over load your digestive tract dumping may result.

Dumping may include any or all of the following in no particular order: dizziness, weakness, nausea, headache, sleepiness, foaming, vomiting, sweating, hot flashes, headache.

I dumped once after sipping Water immediately following a few strips of bacon. Half an hour later, the world was spinning and I was hot flashing. After forty-five minutes sitting with my head between my knees it began to pass.

This was about two months post op RNY. I now place my liquids out of reach until 30 minutes after eating. I never want to experience this again.

Isn't RNY a gastric bypass? is there more than one bypass LOL :) omg, I'm so dead lately, I can't even think straight!! Must be the quarantine!! :)

So the dumping with a bypass - with sugar/fat/etc, backs up in order to dump - wouldn't that be like indigestion with nausea and vomitting - I've had that with the sleeve ....

omg - lots of symptoms!! OMG!

Yes, I do put Water out of my sight before any food - at least an hour before and after, I just can't do water or anything liquid most times - especially in the beginning of the sleeve... This is going to be like a process all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

it doesn't happen to everyone - most RNY'ers I know have never dumped. I've read about 30% do, but I don't know if that's an actual researched statistic or just some number that people throw around, but I'd say it sounds at least ballpark, just based on anecdotal evidence I've seen over the last few years.

it happens when too much sugar hits the small intestine at once and your body goes into overdrive trying to deal with. It doesn't happen nearly as much with sleevers because they still have a functional pyloric valve that controls how much is going into the small intestine at one time. RNY'ers no longer have that because our pyloric valve has been bypassed.

It can cause severe diarrhea (I don't think vomiting is as common, but some people have that, too). Also shaking, chills, cramps, flushing, rapid heartbeat, and light-headedness

it can be controlled by limiting - or avoiding - sugar.

AWESOME - THANKS!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

P.S. I've never dumped, but I used to vomit occasionally if I ate too fast, too much, or if something didn't agree with me (and that was NOT dumping). Of course, I will still vomit (five years later) if I eat too fast or too much, but you pretty much figure out the first few weeks after surgery what doesn't agree with you. So the situation you described (having to vomit while you're eating out somewhere) sometimes happens during the early post-op period, but once you figure out what your body can tolerate, it's pretty rare unless you overeat or eat too fast.

also, you'll get all the usual "I have to vomit" symptoms and can make it to a bathroom in time, so it's not like you're going to do in the middle of a restaurant.

also, vomiting is WAY easier after surgery. I wouldn't say it's PLEASANT, but it's a lot less dreadful than it is before surgery. Not much contents in your stomach. And not nearly as much acid in there, either, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth.

Thanks again!!! :)

I've done all that from one time to another!!!

I'm sure it'll be months before I can figure out what's best for me again!

I always, never realized, that they do leave a little bit of the stomach, etc when they do a bypass.

Whats a gastric bypass in regards to RNY .... I just know revision.

My old friend, had sleeve about 2 years or so after me, she used to vomit all the time after a meal ...

She learned new habits but she claimed the surgeon said her stomach was flipping ....

we had a falling out, long story - but she in the process of us not speaking, which we've made up since, due to our boys getting married this year, figured it was best to put things aside for them and grandchildren being at each others weddings, as best men and their kids, etc... parties...

Anyways - so she had a bypass I was told, she won't say she did - she denies it but her son told my son and FDIL. Why is it a secret is beyond me.. but she drinks like a fish on vacation, we see her on vacation every year ;) and occasions - she does eat normally, so her bypass must have worked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't RNY a gastric bypass? is there more than one bypass LOL [emoji4] omg, I'm so dead lately, I can't even think straight!! Must be the quarantine!! [emoji4]

So the dumping with a bypass - with sugar/fat/etc, backs up in order to dump - wouldn't that be like indigestion with nausea and vomitting - I've had that with the sleeve ....

omg - lots of symptoms!! OMG!

Yes, I do put Water out of my sight before any food - at least an hour before and after, I just can't do Water or anything liquid most times - especially in the beginning of the sleeve... This is going to be like a process all over again.

@ge0rgette2,

Yes RNY is a gastric bypass but there are others. Any WLS that re-routes digestion to bypass part of the digestive tract such as a duodenal switch is in this category.

I learned this when my surgeon asked me to state my name, date of birth, and procedure before having me moved from my pre-op room. I replied gastric bypass and he had me specify explaining RNY is not the only one. This was particularly important for me because I decided against a duodenal switch. Just imagine if I awoke to the wrong bypass?

It all sounds scary but it seems you have prepped yourself to do the right thing. Stick with your plan. Follow all of the rules. You will likely never dump.

As for Hot Flashing...

I've also got quarantine brain but someone in this thread asked how it compares to menapause.

I've just had one menapausale hot flash and it was like a momentary hit from a blast furnace (or an open door to hell, lol).

Dumping was very different. I felt the heat of a full body flush rise and dissipate in waves several times. I did not sweat but others have told me they were sweaty. Some just the face but others from head to toe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MSWDiet said:

@ge0rgette2,

Yes RNY is a gastric bypass but there are others. Any WLS that re-routes digestion to bypass part of the digestive tract such as a duodenal switch is in this category.

I learned this when my surgeon asked me to state my name, date of birth, and procedure before having me moved from my pre-op room. I replied gastric bypass and he had me specify explaining RNY is not the only one. This was particularly important for me because I decided against a duodenal switch. Just imagine if I awoke to the wrong bypass?

It all sounds scary but it seems you have prepped yourself to do the right thing. Stick with your plan. Follow all of the rules. You will likely never dump.

As for Hot Flashing...

I've also got quarantine brain but someone in this thread asked how it compares to menapause.

I've just had one menapausale hot flash and it was like a momentary hit from a blast furnace (or an open door to hell, lol).

Dumping was very different. I felt the heat of a full body flush rise and dissipate in waves several times. I did not sweat but others have told me they were sweaty. Some just the face but others from head to toe.

actually, the DS has a sleeved stomach, so the pylorus is still intact. Dumping is much more common in RNY than it is the other types of WLS (i"ve heard of it happening with other types of WLS, but it's not nearly as common in those)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to add more confusion but my surgeon told me last week that he's heard of dumping with too much salt. I thought that was odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a MGB. I’ve experienced it a few times now. Once with too much fat in a meal (I hadn’t realized how much fat was in the meal at the time). That one resulted in diarrhea about half an hour later. And twice with too much sugar ((once from fruit, once from me being naughty with sweets...). My symptoms were: extreme nausea, to the point that I wanted to throw up and tried to on one occasion. Pointless, though, because the food was no longer in my stomach. Cramping and abdominal discomfort, chills and cold sweats, some dizziness and headache. I went to bed and slept after each episode and that helped tremendously.

I’m much more cautious about what I’m eating now. It’s not a pleasant experience. And in my case, I don’t want to end up with diarrhea if I’m out in a restaurant with friends or family. So I’m extra mindful of what I order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×