Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Impatient- I hate the unknown.

I meet with my surgeon next week and then they submit to insurance (I already called to see how long it would take for approval/ denial - see impatient!) but I just hate all this unknown! I have no idea how long it is going to take to get a surgery date. With all the delays due to coronavirus, I know a lot of people were postponed and they will get the first surgeries available (As they should!) But does anyone know anything about how far back they are being push? My biggest fear right now is that they will call and say the first opening they have is like September or something crazy.... I hate the unknown.

I am totally in the same spot. Appointment with my surgeon is June 9th.

I too am at the same spot. All my paperwork was sent in the May 22nd. Then the holiday that following Monday. I called Wednesday and the approval is still pending. They gave me a date though already for the surgery and its July 20th. I'm going to try and get something sooner I hope if possible!

Maryeuh.. Did they just give you that date as a tentative date as long as you get approval? Did you call the office to check the status or did you call insurance company?

14 minutes ago, aclapp said:

Maryeuh.. Did they just give you that date as a tentative date as long as you get approval? Did you call the office to check the status or did you call insurance company?

Hello!

I called both. It was insurance that told me they had a date though, not the office. Not sure what it means. Maybe the surgeon is positive ill be approved!

Just now, Maryeuh said:

I called both. It was insurance that told me they had a date though, not the office. Not sure what it means. Maybe the surgeon is positive ill be approved!

I hope the best for you! Keep us updated! :)

34 minutes ago, aclapp said:

I hope the best for you! Keep us updated! :)

I most definitely will! Thank you! Hoping for the best for all of us!

Edited by Maryeuh
typo

I’m also in Indiana. I was originally scheduled for March 24. My new date is June 4. I was told they are evaluating each case individually and not just by original date. They are slowly resuming all surgeries and there is a lot of competition for operating room time. They said I am getting in early because I am low risk. I was also among the most screwed by the Governor’s executive order. If I were just a week earlier, I would have made it through.

Long frustrating story short... No one really knows anything about what to expect from the fallout of this pandemic. We can share stories, but it’s just anecdotal and won’t provide any hard & fast realistic expectations.

I have spent the extra time reading through education resources, experimenting with Protein sources, cutting bad habits, and trying to drop a few pounds.

Hang in there. I know it’s hard.

For reference, I’m in Colorado. But I had my first appointment with my surgeon on May 15. I’m self pay so my only requirement was a nutrition class on pre and post op diet. Did that, and I’m having surgery Tuesday! (6/2) The scheduler at my surgeons office said that May was crazy for them (when elective surgeries were allowed to start back up) but that June was pretty empty at that point.

I’d been researching WLS for about 3 years and had met with surgeons back then too, so the quick turnaround didn’t feel too crazy.

Edited by colormehappy

Colormehappy, who is your surgery with?

5 minutes ago, NikkiOwl said:

Colormehappy, who is your surgery with?

Dr Brown at Parker Adventist. Are you in CO too?

On 5/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, aclapp said:

I meet with my surgeon next week and then they submit to insurance (I already called to see how long it would take for approval/ denial - see impatient!) but I just hate all this unknown! I have no idea how long it is going to take to get a surgery date. With all the delays due to coronavirus, I know a lot of people were postponed and they will get the first surgeries available (As they should!) But does anyone know anything about how far back they are being push? My biggest fear right now is that they will call and say the first opening they have is like September or something crazy.... I hate the unknown.

I’m there with you. My appointment is on Monday then they’ll submit.. I just want to know already! And I think it all depends on the doctor honestly.

I’m there with you. My appointment is on Monday then they’ll submit.. I just want to know already! And I think it all depends on the doctor honestly.
Let me know what he says when you go tomorrow

Sent from my SM-F700U using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, aclapp said:

Let me know what he says when you go tomorrow

Sent from my SM-F700U using BariatricPal mobile app

I will!

Edited by danielleleigh90

I just called aetna and I've been approved! I was so worried I wouldn't be! But I was. Surgery date is July 20th!!