Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on Day 2 of my Pre-Op diet and I am STRUGGLING. I feel like I am starving. I am so hungry. The shakes are doing nothing for me. I hate drinking them. I am drinking my Water, but the hunger pangs and headaches seem never ending and it is only DAY TWO. My surgery is on June 9th. I hope I can make it the whole two weeks. Did anyone else struggle with the Pre-Op diet? Did you cheat?

Pickle Juice will help with the headaches!!

Hang in there, it gets easier as your body (and mind) get used to it!!

Give it a few more days

1 hour ago, MiaMia84 said:

I am on Day 2 of my Pre-Op diet and I am STRUGGLING. I feel like I am starving. I am so hungry. The shakes are doing nothing for me. I hate drinking them. I am drinking my Water, but the hunger pangs and headaches seem never ending and it is only DAY TWO. My surgery is on June 9th. I hope I can make it the whole two weeks. Did anyone else struggle with the Pre-Op diet? Did you cheat?

I've found that every surgeons Pre-Op diet is different... because I wasn't on a fully liquid diet. I was allowed a certain amount of Protein, dairy, healthy fat, and even fruit a day. And ALL the veggies I could eat. I made big pots of veggie Soup and I LIVED off that for the two week Pre-Op diet when I couldn't eat any of the other stuff lol. But, yes, I felt like I was starving for like a week. It DOES get better though and I lost almost 20 pounds (15 or 16 if you want an exact number lol). My advice is to do something to distract yourself or have sugar free popsicles to keep your mouth distracted. It'll get better! And congrats on your upcoming surgery!

The first 2-3 days were the toughest. Your body will get used to it and it won't feel as challenging. Hang in there, it gets better if you stick it out.

P.S. Try drinking Water, going out for a walk, taking a shower, going outside and taking deep breaths, knitting even lol. Anything to get your mind/body occupied.

P.S. I personally did not cheat.

I’m on Day 2 as well. I’ve found that using salt has helped me with the headaches. I add a little to my broths.
I’ve just been trying to keep super busy to keep my mind off hunger.

What kind of shakes are you drinking? Premier Protein are the best IMO.

pretty much all of us who are on one of those pre-op diets (and not everyone is) hated it. You just have to white knuckle it. It usually gets better for people after day 3 or 4 - your body goes into ketosis, and you don't feel as hungry. Just hang on - this part is usually the worst of the whole ordeal - I remember being so glad when surgery day finally came because this stupid diet was OVER!!!

My surgery is also on June 9th. I feel the same way but we have to stay strong so there will be no complications during surgery. My doctor requires this to shrink the liver.

Bone Broth saved me. Don't give in now, you need this to be as successful as possible. You can do this!!

We are surgery twins! June 9th! I'm so sorry you are suffering. I have a 3 day liver diet and I'm not looking forward to it. Two weeks would be miserable. Since some docs don't require the 2 weeks it seems to me you could have a small piece of chicken each evening. In doing the research on the live shrink it many suggest the shakes and then a small meat portion for dinner. But... you should probably listen to the Vets and stick to it. Then your full liquid/pureeds will seem like heaven!!

I do not get the need to rush your diet or advance to real food.. you should embrace the liquid diet as long as it's can seriously that is the best time to shed the most weight... I personally had no desire to eat after my bypass and I lived on shakes for months post op and pre-op shakes and it worked wonders for me... All you need is Protein that's most important to heal your body and to recover and I lived off high protein low carb shakes and I lost a lot of weight they way didn't even care about eating food...

it will pass ...

Definitely a good Bone Broth will help. Also what Protein Shake are you drinking? Some just aren’t a good quality and make you feel hungrier. I use PEScience select and it’s a blend of premium whey Protein and casein to help feel full longer. I mixed one scoop with 6 ounces of plain unsweetened Ripple milk for extra protein. I think it came to about 160-170 calories and 30 grams protein. And carbs depends on flavor but no more than 3 net carbs ... I like Peanut Butter cookie. I would mix it, put it in the fridge to let it thicken then mix again. I’d thin it with a little Water only if I needed to.

actually I still use it and mix half a scoop with Greek yogurt. Either plain nonfat Fage. Or TwoGood yogurt. Although my current addiction is Mixing it with oikos triple zero peanut butter banana flavor Greek yogurt cups. I put a little pink salt. Mix it up and put it in the freezer 30 minutes and mix again. Like a fake ice cream. And use a little sugar free land o lakes whipped cream. But it’s extremely low carb and gets me the protein I need. It’s actually my go to dinner ... but I’m weird that way.

mixed in yogurt it has a frosting like consistency.

link to the protein

http://rwrd.io/c6uus2e

Edited by Darktowerdream

Hang in there! You can make it! The first couple days were the worst for me as well but by day 4 or 6 I felt more at peace. Don’t cheat yourself - you can do this!