Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning everyone my name is kali. I am getting gastric bypass on june 30. My situation a little bit different from everyone on here I've been diagnosed with gastroparesis it's a serious condition where I cannot keep anything down my stomach does not digest food correctly. I'm getting gastric bypass to treat the gastroparesis but also for weight loss my gerd and to help with my PCOS also. I'm nervous about going to surgery I know I'll be fine I know it's going to be a struggle afterwards I am starting to do the pre-op diet now so I can prepare myself before the surgery so my body to get used to everything if any of you have any meal preps or meals choose and what I can eat i would really appreciate it I would also like to hear your stories and how it helps you and what was the worst part of it thank you hope to hear from you

Sent from my LM-X410PM using BariatricPal mobile app

42 minutes ago, Honey_bear 2017 said:

Good morning everyone my name is kali. I am getting gastric bypass on june 30. My situation a little bit different from everyone on here I've been diagnosed with gastroparesis it's a serious condition where I cannot keep anything down my stomach does not digest food correctly. I'm getting gastric bypass to treat the gastroparesis but also for weight loss my gerd and to help with my PCOS also. I'm nervous about going to surgery I know I'll be fine I know it's going to be a struggle afterwards I am starting to do the pre-op diet now so I can prepare myself before the surgery so my body to get used to everything if any of you have any meal preps or meals choose and what I can eat i would really appreciate it I would also like to hear your stories and how it helps you and what was the worst part of it thank you hope to hear from you

Good for you starting early.. I did the same woke up one day and decided to start a new diet 2 months before surgery and it definitely helped me.

The bypass has been great 7 months later and no issues at all and have lost heaps and feeling great.

Well I'm 7 months out so I'm eating more normal now like chicken and yoghurt and tuna but still supplement with Protein Shakes

Hello and Welcome!!! Best of luck to you, and I look forward to following your progress!

I had gastric bypass surgery due to lifelong chronic illness, disability, metabolic disorders and inability to exercise. one being PCOS. Although now I no longer have ovaries but that’s a long story. I was doing a low carb lifestyle (I always will be) and low calorie years before surgery but it wasn’t enough. I needed extra help. I also had gallbladder surgery at the same time due to chronic inflammation.

I am a little over a year out from surgery now. I keep daily log of weight, meals, calories and Protein. I usually like to try to plan a few days of meals. I also take notes of any medical issues, symptoms and doctors appointments. It might be OCD of me and I do keep strict calories and had very low calories from the start. Since I have reached goal I did increase them somewhat to where I’m comfortable.

I don’t eat a lot of meat with exception of occasional low carb foods from “Real good foods” they make chicken enchiladas I like. And Breakfast sandwich with cauliflower Buns. I didn’t eat these until close to a year post surgery.

initially I stuck to PEScience Protein Powder mixed with 6 ounces unsweetened ripple milk, also BariatricPal protein Soups, BariatricPal Protein Shots, juice flavor Protein Drinks. And later I’d started mixing the protein powder into Greek yogurt. Purée stage was tough for me. I stuck to very simple things a long time to avoid purée that made me feel sick. I eventually started soft boiled egg. And gradually added veggie burger. Just took it all slow.

example Of my meals now: breakfast a Protein Bar with tea, lunch varies depending what’s in my freezer but not by much I like a veggie burger with an egg on top for extra nutrition and variety of texture and flavor or different variations of that with different vegetarian foods that are low carb and calorie. My dinners are actually Greek yogurt with 1/2 scoop protein powder, a baby banana, a drizzle of sugar free Syrup (choczero chocolate is awesome stuff) and some sugar free land o lakes whipped cream. I’ve taken to mixing the yogurt with the protein powder (usually plain fage or TwoGood) then putting it in the freezer 30 minutes then mixing before eating ... I put a bit of pink salt when I mix it. It does something to the flavor.

I keep to my portions and calories. But it’s enough for me. I’d say my calories ranged 300-480 averaging 380. I am now starting to average 480-550. Maybe seems crazy low. (I’m still baffled how before surgery I was gaining weight on 800 calories) I’m working on maintenance and finding balance. I also don’t count calories from the little bit of Creamer I use (I use Quest salted caramel Protein Shake as creamer) or the little bit of olive oil for cooking, or the calories of the banana ... but it’s been working out fine.

all the best to you on your journey

this is the protein I use in case you are interested

http://rwrd.io/c6uus2e

I had gastric bypass surgery due to lifelong chronic illness, disability, metabolic disorders and inability to exercise. one being PCOS. Although now I no longer have ovaries but that’s a long story. I was doing a low carb lifestyle (I always will be) and low calorie years before surgery but it wasn’t enough. I needed extra help. I also had gallbladder surgery at the same time due to chronic inflammation.
I am a little over a year out from surgery now. I keep daily log of weight, meals, calories and Protein. I usually like to try to plan a few days of meals. I also take notes of any medical issues, symptoms and doctors appointments. It might be OCD of me and I do keep strict calories and had very low calories from the start. Since I have reached goal I did increase them somewhat to where I’m comfortable.
I don’t eat a lot of meat with exception of occasional low carb foods from “Real good foods” they make chicken enchiladas I like. And breakfast sandwich with cauliflower Buns. I didn’t eat these until close to a year post surgery.
initially I stuck to PEScience protein powder mixed with 6 ounces unsweetened ripple milk, also BariatricPal protein Soups, BariatricPal Protein Shots, juice flavor protein drinks. And later I’d started mixing the protein powder into Greek yogurt. Purée stage was tough for me. I stuck to very simple things a long time to avoid purée that made me feel sick. I eventually started soft boiled egg. And gradually added veggie burger. Just took it all slow.
example Of my meals now: breakfast a protein bar with tea, lunch varies depending what’s in my freezer but not by much I like a veggie burger with an egg on top for extra nutrition and variety of texture and flavor or different variations of that with different vegetarian foods that are low carb and calorie. My dinners are actually Greek yogurt with 1/2 scoop protein powder, a baby banana, a drizzle of sugar free Syrup (choczero chocolate is awesome stuff) and some sugar free land o lakes whipped cream. I’ve taken to mixing the yogurt with the protein powder (usually plain fage or TwoGood) then putting it in the freezer 30 minutes then mixing before eating ... I put a bit of pink salt when I mix it. It does something to the flavor.
I keep to my portions and calories. But it’s enough for me. I’d say my calories ranged 300-480 averaging 380. I am now starting to average 480-550. Maybe seems crazy low. (I’m still baffled how before surgery I was gaining weight on 800 calories) I’m working on maintenance and finding balance. I also don’t count calories from the little bit of creamer I use (I use Quest salted caramel Protein Shake as creamer) or the little bit of olive oil for cooking, or the calories of the banana ... but it’s been working out fine.
all the best to you on your journey

this is the protein I use in case you are interested
http://rwrd.io/c6uus2e
Thank you so much for all the detail you have given me. I am glad your doing a lot better. I am sorry u had a rough medical history. I know it isn't easy dealing with a lot of medical issues. I have a lot of them as well. But I woke up everyday blessed and staying strong as much as I can. I am always here if u ever want to talk. Maybe we can help each other out if you like.

11 minutes ago, Honey_bear 2017 said:

At least its for a good reason and you got through it. How are you now and how long has it been

I had my surgery five years ago...

On 5/22/2020 at 5:18 PM, Honey_bear 2017 said:

Thank you for your input. I am glad it is doing great for you. So what is your eating now. if you don't mind me asking you

bless you, gastroparesis is horrendous, you will feel like a new woman once healed up xxx

3 minutes ago, Honey_bear 2017 said:

How much weight have you lost since and are you still drinking protien skakes and eating regular?

I lost around 215-220 lbs (I originally lost 235 lbs - I gained 15-20 lbs during year 3 post-op). I'm still drinking one Protein Shake a day, but that's because we discovered early on that I malabsorb Protein (I may have malabsorbed it even before surgery, but we never did a baseline on protein, so we'll never know). I have to have at least 100 grams of protein a day or my prealbumin levels tank, so having a protein shake every day helps me get there. Otherwise, most patients only need 60-80 grams of protein a day, so you can usually get there just through food alone once you're a few months out.

I've been eating normally for a long time. I can maintain my weight if I average around 1700 calories a day - so that's not much less than a woman my age and activity level who's never had weight loss surgery (of course, i was not eating that much when I was in weight loss phase)