Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone take antidepressants or anxiety meds post op? Is it something you started after or had before?

I was taking Cymbalta a few months before my surgery due to my TN coming back that sent me into a deep depression, but I ended up being allergic to it and didn't realize that's what was causing the itching and rashes on my back so I stopped taking it and since I was feeling better I haven't taken any anti-depressants since...

Though, I DO take Valium for my back and technically Valium is used as an anti-anxiety as well as muscle relaxer and I'm fine with it. It just hits you harder after the surgery so I tend to only take half the dose I used to verses what I took before... (I took 10mg, but now take 5mg when needed instead).

Yes, I've been on them for many years. I take Xanax for anxiety nightly. You can go into withdrawl and even die if you go cold turkey when you've been taking it as long as I have, so my surgeon had them add some to my IV when I was in the hospital, I take Nefazodone for depression and was able to swallow the pill the day after surgery.

I don't - but I've read about several WLS patients on this and other bariatric forums who do. Sometimes they have to adjust the dosage, but people DO take them after surgery.

I've been very lucky with bypass haven't had to adjust any of my doses of medication but I am glad to be rid of alot of meds I no longer need.

I was taking venlafaxine (Effexor) years before my surgery. After my surgery it has been difficult finding the correct dosage and I've experienced some really tough days with extreme depression and anxiety. I hope some day to find the right balance. Good luck. With gastric bypass, my extended release meds don't have the same effect.

Thanks for the responses! Ed_NW, I was on Effexor for 17 years too. I titrated off over the last year thinking it would be better for surgery. Now I am day 6 and my anxiety and panic attacks have returned with a vengeance. I am thinking of going back to them.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:28 PM, NikkiOwl said:

Thanks for the responses! Ed_NW, I was on Effexor for 17 years too. I titrated off over the last year thinking it would be better for surgery. Now I am day 6 and my anxiety and panic attacks have returned with a vengeance. I am thinking of going back to them.

I ended up going back on effexor. I was on 225mg before surgery once daily. My doctor came up with a plan to take the same dose but 3 times daily at 75mg each. It seems to be working. Unfortunately there's not a lot of medications that have the same benefits when it comes to both mild depression and anxiety. The only problem is, you can only get extended release in the Effexor. You can't really get your regular dose of meds after gastric bypass if the med is extended release. It might be different for you having the sleeve. I know too, as long as you are in the rapid weight loss mode after surgery your body will be flooded with lots of hormones and other chemicals that was stored in fat cells. Hopefully for us this dump of chemicals will stop after we get to goal weight. I'm feeling better as of today. I hope all is well with you.

Hi Ed! I decided against going back on something. Had a reaction to Cymbalta and doctor wanted me to do Buspar. I decided to wait it out before jumping into a medication that might make it worse. I have been walking and fly fishing daily which seems to help more than anything. Hopefully you finally figured out the best for you with the three daily.

When I went for my psych eval back in late Aug 2019 - she suggested that I go ahead and start Prozac to have it 'on board' before the post-op depression kicked in. So, I've been on 20mg Prozac since. Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday - so no clue how the med will affect me post-op - but my surgeon said the capsule is small enough for me to swallow normally - so I don't have to open it up, or switch to liquid (at least in theory - we will see if my body agrees with my surgeon ;-)) I've been seeing a therapist for about 2.5 years - but she couldn't do my bariatric eval. However, she agreed with the Prozac and has been encouraged by my response to it. Not that she diagnosed me with depression - but it's helping my anxiety, actually. Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll let you know how post-op goes!!! Good luck to you too!!!

So I can tell you I've been on Wellbutrin for over 2 years, and am now day 9 post with no issues taking it so far. Same full sized pill/same dose, no issues.

Definitely take it after surgery. My doc told me I didn't have to, so I didn't (IMO, bad advice).. you're in pain and things are foggy during those days & you have to crush your medicine, so I just didn't take it. BIG MISTAKE. I went into a huge abyss of depression. I resumed taking Prozac 20mg about 5 days after surgery.. I also take Xanax for anxiety.

I had taken Cymbalta for several years before my surgery. I missed one dose day of surgery, then, because capsule was too big to swallow, nurses suggested I empty capsule into Jello, mix and eat. Tasted terrible!! But it worked and I avoided mental health issues.