Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all,

I've been working towards this surgery for a while now, and I'm finally at the steps before it actually happens. Nervous, excited, uncertain.... you know the drill.

Just wondering what advice you have going forward. Any questions I should ask. My endoscopy is next week Thursday, bit nervous about that but at least I'll be put under. Anyone have any tips to share about that? How it went?

Anyone else have Aetna for insurance? Also nervous about the approval. I've done all the pre-work and luckily the place I'm working with is very "on it".

Sorry for all the questions. I'm sure this is to be the first of many.

endoscopies are nothing - they'll give you that twilight sedation, so although you'll be awake, you won't be aware of what's going on and you won't remember any of it. It's the same stuff they give you for colonscopies.

Which surgery are you opting for

On 5/16/2020 at 7:17 AM, Superman84 said:

Which surgery are you opting for

Sleeve!

On 5/13/2020 at 1:33 PM, catwoman7 said:

endoscopies are nothing - they'll give you that twilight sedation, so although you'll be awake, you won't be aware of what's going on and you won't remember any of it. It's the same stuff they give you for colonscopies.

Oh goodness. I'm hoping it knocks me out. I've had a colonoscopy with twilight and I was awake the entire time.

22 minutes ago, Joshagotchi said:

Oh goodness. I'm hoping it knocks me out. I've had a colonoscopy with twilight and I was awake the entire time.

I would mention that to them... maybe they can go a bit heavier on the drugs with you

I had that procedure done in 2014 and am doing it again for this surgery. They just gave me a cup of stuff and an iv and I was actually able to watch the video screen while the doctor sent into down in and he talked the entire time lol. I do remember it. I think that we have to remember lol that we have a food pipe AND a windpipe. :) easy quick procedure, and I thought it was cool to look inside. not sure how all doctors do it lol

I had my endoscopy last Wednesday, the 20th, got checked in they had me strip to my birthday suit and got an IV started... When they took me into the endoscopy room, they put a mask thing on my nose, it wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't comfy either. They put a bite thing (not sure what to call it) in my mouth, had me lay on my left side and that was the last thing I remember. I woke up back where I started in the pre-procedure area 15 minutes or so later. I felt fine and worked (from home) the rest of the day!!! I too have Aetna, just have to schedule my consult with the surgeon then wait for approval!!!!! Hoping it is a quick turn around for us both!!!!

Edited by Sticky1984
misspelling

Hey there! I have Aetna too. But don't require Endoscopy. Was that Aetnas requirement or your surgeons?

18 hours ago, Sticky1984 said:

I had my endoscopy last Wednesday, the 20th, got checked in they had me strip to my birthday suit and got an IV started... When they took me into the endoscopy room, they put a mask thing on my nose, it wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't comfy either. They put a bite thing (not sure what to call it) in my mouth, had me lay on my left side and that was the last thing I remember. I woke up back where I started in the pre-procedure area 15 minutes or so later. I felt fine and worked (from home) the rest of the day!!! I too have Aetna, just have to schedule my consult with the surgeon then wait for approval!!!!! Hoping it is a quick turn around for us both!!!!

Nice! Yes it was very quick, I was definitely out for the entire thing. I told the nurse and she said it’s a much quicker procedure than a colonoscopy so there’s a much less chance of me waking up. She was right! Even went home and slept for like 5 more hours haha.

2 hours ago, Maryeuh said:

Hey there! I have Aetna too. But don't require Endoscopy. Was that Aetnas requirement or your surgeons?

Surgeons. He wanted to make sure I didn’t have any “surprises”. They found a hiatal hernia and will fix it during the WLS.

I have Aetna and am going for 2nd attempt at egd this Monday 6/8/20. The first time they couldn't get an I.V. in so sent me home after about 20 sticks. This time I'll have to get pic line put in. I'm super nervous. Never been under any type of anesthesia. I'm very worried about approval even though my job plan pays 100% after deductible.

Edited by VSjourney35

I had my Endoscopy back in February and it went well. It’s a short procedure (about 7 to 10min.) and you won’t remember a thing. I also have Aetna insurance never had any issues with the approval and the total copay was $200 and for anesthesia was $20. Now I’m just waiting for a surgery date since with Covid situation everything was halted. I’m getting the sleeve and even though it has been a long journey it’s so worth it.