Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BYPASS-ERS tell me your success stories!

Are there many BYPASS success stories? Smooth sailing??

I came to my surgeon-of-choice after 1 year of research (and setting money aside for out of pocket) asking for a SLEEVE. The surgeon agreed this would be the right procedure for me. However, after he performed my EGD, and discovered a Hiatal Hernia, he decided the Bypass was best for me. I left my appt that day saying I just wasn't sure I could move ahead.

My extensive research was on the sleeve. I felt ready for that. Of course I've come across a lot of info on the Bypass. But the mal-absorption scares me. At 5' 5" and 215 I'm not morbidly obese. I understand there are risks with both surgeries. I understand, for many, the risks are worth the possible complications. Particularly those with serious co-morbities. I don't have any but I was moving ahead with the SLEEVE to prevent them. But the malnutrition that is common with the BYPASS... it worries me. I know taking Vitamins helps. But it isn't the same as the absorption of healthy foods and medications. I've read many stories about people being lethargic, weak, always feeling sick to their stomachs, barely able to eat years later. My job requires me to be at the top of my game. I can take a months off but then I need to be back to full energy and a clear head. And what if you end up with a non-related serious illness that requires medication? What if you can't absorb that medication? Also, I suffer from nerve pain in the left side of my face and take motrin several days a week to relieve the pain. No more every day pain reliever? REALLY? (not sure I've ever used tylenol for pain). It just seems like those with a BYPASS have a much lower chance of long-term health than the sleeve. Thank you for letting me throw up my concerns. I'd love to hear some "had no problem" stories. Are they common?

I’m just over a year out from bypass surgery and I feel stronger and more alive than I have in years! My BMI is down to 26 from a high of 47. I’ve taken my Vitamins as directed along with following my surgeon’s program and all my recent labs came back great. My only regret is that I didn’t do this sooner. Before I sound too much like a commercial for bypass, I have to say that there were times when it was HARD but any struggle that I’ve had so far is still definitely worth it to me. Talk to your surgeon and the doctor who takes care of your facial nerve pain about alternatives to using Motrin as that will no longer be an option after bypass. Best of luck to you as you make your decision!

Bypass was the best thing I ever did for myself - at age 63.

I think you're seeing/hearing a lot of outdated information or reading about very rare complications. Complications aren't much more common than they are with sleeve (in other words, they're not very common) and malabsorption-related issues are really rare as long as you keep on top of your Vitamins. You have to take vitamins with the sleeve, too (my surgeon has both types of patients on the same Vitamin regimen), so there's really no difference there, other than not taking them is more of a problem with bypass patients than it is with sleeve patients.

The ASBMS (American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgeons) as well as many surgeons now recommend that sleeve patients avoid NSAIDs as well (and there aren't many medications that bypass patients can't take - really just NSAIDs and extended release versions of drugs. There are other drugs that may require an adjustment of dosage, but none that I can think of that are "banned" for us)

Malnutrition issues are pretty rare with bypass unless you're not taking vitamins, as I mentioned above.

just like with sleeve patients, the vast majority of us have had no complications or only minor ones that are easily "fixable". You can read horror stories about both surgeries - and yes, there are people who have had major complications with both surgeries. But you can have major complications after a tonsillectomy - or a wisdom tooth extraction. But how often does that happen? Same with weight loss surgeries.

I've had no issues (I had bypass because I had GERD prior to surgery - and sleeve can make that worse (doesn't happen with everyone, but it IS a risk of the sleeve)). I've been very happy with it and would have it again in a heartbeat. I am 60 years old.

Edited by catwoman7

Several of the things that happened for me after bypass - GERD is gone. I had developed Barretts esophagitis with a precancerous Barretts polyp. All that is resolved now. (Polyp was removed of course), but all evidence of Barretts has now vanished. :) With the GERD gone, my asthma is also gone. I had no idea of the relationship between obesity and asthma. And my sleep apnea is gone - no more Cpap needed.

Prior to surgery I was taking Aleve twice a day for arthritic pain. I already had gotten one knee replacement and the other was in pretty bad shape, as well. I did not know a day without pain. Since bypass, I have not used any NSAIDS and I have NO PAIN. My knees, back, and hips do not hurt. Unbelievable. Adipose tissue releases all kinds of inflammatory cytokines and I was surprised at how quickly the inflammation and pain resolved. I was able to greatly increase my exercise and finished a triathlon just 8 months after surgery and a 50 mile bike race a month later. :) No NSAIDS needed! I am presently training for a 100 mile bike race, another tri, and a rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon. More energy that I know what to do with.

As far as malabsorption goes, I do have fat malabsorption. It just goes right on through. My Vitamin levels are fine except for Vitamin D, so I am on extra doses to keep that up. From what I have read, the lower parts of the small intestine will eventually start taking on a more absorptive role, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out for me in the future.

Complications for me included some blood clots in my legs a week after surgery, even though I was walking within hours of surgery and was doing 10,000 steps by the end of the first week. It's just something that can happen with any surgery, especially in an obese patient. I also developed an ulcer about 6 months out. Both conditions easily treatable and resolved with medication.

I hope this offers some light on your specific concerns. I think the biggest thing is to have a positive mind set and realize that this surgery offers you a whole new life if you are willing to seize it. There will be ups and downs, and you have to focus on the ups and learn from the downs.

RNY BYPASS has been amazing..

Had surgery 6 months ago and lost about 90lbs since then but 152lbs since beginning my pre-op diet 8 months ago...

Personally I wanted the malabsorption and the change internally and I've noticed my metabolism it's so much better than it was, after I reached goal and now in maintenance I've had a few treats and it has not made a difference but I was super strict on myself for 8 months weighed daily and logged my calories..

I was very lucky post op I had very little desire to eat and I lived off Protein Shakes for months; my own choice..

Even now there's days where I'm not hungry but others I'll have a craving but it usually goes away...

I've gone from Super obese to skinny and maintaining at 170lbs now for a month and feel like a new man.

I lost 150lbs since I started this journey 8 months ago it literally melted off me with very little exercise even..

I'm not sure why I've been so lucky with only a few days or a week stall in the whole process..

I'm 35 male.

I started at 6ft0 and 322lbs and was obese for like 15 years before surgery...

I'm now at 169/170 most days and feel amazing and I've never got this low before without surgery... The bypass changed my metabolism so much..

I have small hiatal hernia discovered on EGD. My surgeon says he routine repairs them whether sleeve or bypass. Did you ask if he could repair it? Mine is "small" but surgeon says outcomes are always better when hernia is repaired.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

8 hours ago, over65 said:

I have small hiatal hernia discovered on EGD. My surgeon says he routine repairs them whether sleeve or bypass. Did you ask if he could repair it? Mine is "small" but surgeon says outcomes are always better when hernia is repaired.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

Had my hiatal hernia repaired at the same time as bypass.