Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 3 years out and gained 22. Feels really shitty. Beating myself up because it’s my fault. At the start things were easy. I ate a teaspoon or three bites of whatever I wanted and could tolerate. I nibbled chips, half a cookie took 3 days to eat but I did. All this from month 3 after surgery. At year 1, I discovered I could eat pizza and bread again and that changed the whole situation.

Now I look in the mirror and I’m back to self loathing. I know I “can” do a reset, go back to Protein Shakes and salads etc. But I can’t seem to get through the mental blocks. I feel afraid that it won’t work.

Don’t know what I’m asking here. I just wanted to share in a space with other who had bag and struggled all their lives with weight issues.

This is the exact reason why I am back on here after a few years of just doing whatever. I’m in the same boat but add wine to the equation. That was a few I months ago. I’ve lost 20 pounds and feel better. Hang in there. You got this

I have seen multiple people lose large regains years after surgery. The only thing I noticed that made any real difference was that they said really ready to make lasting changes this time.

You can totally do it!

Good Luck

Edited by GreenTealael

I thought I was pretty invincible after losing all of my excess weight - thought I could eat anything and maintain my loss. And for awhile, I could. I thought there was no way I was going to have bounce back weight, like so many people do. But in year 3, it happened - as it does to so many of us. I also gained 20 lbs. Ten of it I really needed to gain because I'd gotten too thin, but the last 10 - no. I need to get that off. So far I've lost about two lbs of it - and it is TOUGH.

your tool still works, but it'll be slow going. I've always logged my food, so if you're not doing that anymore, do it. It's very helpful. I've also had to lower my calorie intake, which is tough to do if you're used to eating at a certain level.

I don't think you have to go all the way back to Protein Shakes, but doing the things you did the first year or so - Protein first, then veggies, and then if you still have room, maybe a small serving of fruit or whole-grain carb, all the while watching your overall calorie intake, should do the trick.

if you need more structure, I know a lot of vets who've joined Weight Watchers to deal with regain. A lot of them really like the new WW program.

2 hours ago, VooLivre2017 said:

I know I “can” do a reset, go back to Protein Shakes and salads etc. But I can’t seem to get through the mental blocks.

Why would you want to go back to a deprivation-diet that will most likely induce bingeing in the near future? It's good and normal that you have that mental block when thinking about deprivation diets.

I feel afraid that it won’t work.

Most likely it won't work so you're right to be afraid of the plan of going back to shakes and "the basics". It's a deprivation diet that will cause reaction-bingeing now that your body is capable of it so you have to be way smarter in your choices. Cutting out too many foods you like won't work in the long run for most of us. Unfortunately many, if not all of us, were fed the mantra "moderation won't work" a bit too often.

Back in the days of "protein shakes and basics" we were all newly out of surgery which meant that appetite was reduced in many of us because of having been cut into out intestines and because of general anesthesia. Many foods we couldn't tolerate anyways, let alone big portions of it. But these immediate post-op day are simply gone. The situation has change and you have to take that into consideration when planning dietary changes.

Also keep in mind that you were not able to stick to your former post-WLS diet so it makes more sense to try a different approach this time than to repeat what didn't work for you in the first run.

5 hours ago, VooLivre2017 said:

I’m 3 years out and gained 22. Feels really shitty. Beating myself up because it’s my fault. At the start things were easy. I ate a teaspoon or three bites of whatever I wanted and could tolerate. I nibbled chips, half a cookie took 3 days to eat but I did. All this from month 3 after surgery. At year 1, I discovered I could eat pizza and bread again and that changed the whole situation.

Now I look in the mirror and I’m back to self loathing. I know I “can” do a reset, go back to Protein Shakes and salads etc. But I can’t seem to get through the mental blocks. I feel afraid that it won’t work.

Don’t know what I’m asking here. I just wanted to share in a space with other who had bag and struggled all their lives with weight issues.

@VooLivre2017 Hi, It is okay too feel bad and/or afraid. Give yourself that time, but please do something that brings you some pleasure, happiness, or peace. Try not to stay in the space that you are in for too long. Feel bad for a bit, yes, but come up with a doable livable plan that you can feel good about in the process.

What is a food that you can't see yourself not eating anymore? Have a small portion of this once a week unless you can't handle it then stay away from it. Are you okay with veggies now- if so have them in a way that taste great, experiment (most of us are trapped in doors at the moment so this is a great time to experiment with how to perfectly mix veggies and low fat Protein on a way that hopefully your moth will crave or at least learn to tolerate. I don't think one Protein Drink a day is a bad idea for a few weeks for which ever meal you choose, Breakfast is usually the easiest and you can have fruit or veggies in between breakfast and lunch. Have you ever tried Quinoa? If you add the right spices and even some veggies like onions garlic & sweet peppers to it....OMGoodness! -its bomb, yummy, fantastic I add other soft veggies like zucchini, mushrooms and green Beans too, helps getting protein & healthy carbs such as veggies eat this with 1 piece of baked chicken and Yum! I am just saying, I am not sure what you are eating now and we all have our days, none of us are perfect, but try different things that are going to be realistic for you in the long run, stay hydrated, and try not to let yourself get hungry. Low fat protein, Veggies/Fruit -all being what taste good to you.

Before WLS I would lose and gain, lose and gain often. I felt almost the same way, "what will work, or afraid, it wont work". The truth is like you said a mental block is just that, so just start doing what you know in the back of your mind will work. Fear or no fear, give it time because you might find that you are doing all the right things but the scale doesn't budge but it will eventually. To keep yourself honest with yourself, keep track/journal everything that goes in your mouth, including nibbles of whatever and liquids.

Good luck and hang in there. Everyday is a new beginning! You got this! 😉

Thanks so much everyone. Really appreciate your compassion. Some good advice here and it’s good to hear that some have successfully got rid of the regain. I’m gonna increase my Water this week, and do a shake for Breakfast, track everything. Have to push past this in my head too.