Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quarantine and Drinking

Hey everyone! So as of this morning I reached my first goal to get in the 180’s. I’m super excited but when I did the math it literally took me two weeks to lose 3 lbs. Since surgery I’ve only lost 17bs and I think I may be doing something wrong. To be honest I’ve been drinking red wine in the evenings, like 2 glasses every couple days. I feel guilty but quarantined with my 14 and 10 year old and working from home is getting to me. Would the drinking have that large of an effect? Based on you guys past experience is this average for someone starting with a 38 BMI. Just looking for some encouragement or a swift kick in the butt.

... you do know that you're not supposed to drink alcohol for the first year after surgery right? My surgeon was VERY clear about that! And even though some surgeons are more lax they tell you to wait at LEAST 6 months before drinking alcohol. It's gonna slow your weight loss down and I'd worry about your liver because 1 glass is like drinking 3 or 4. That's how your system is processing it now. I'm not trying to preach or anything but my uncle didn't think it was a big deal and started drinking a beer every couple of days a few months out of his surgery and in less than two years he was dead of cirrhosis of his liver when he had been perfectly healthy before his weight loss surgery. I really don't want someone elses family to have to go through that!

We have very similar stats - my surgery was on March 11th. I was 204 on the day of surgery - lost 19 lbs since then. It's really slowed down after the first few weeks - I've also only lost 3 lbs over the past two weeks.

On the other hand, this is the lowest weight I've been in a decade. 6 more lbs, and I'll be the lowest weight of my adult life. And last time I was at this weight, I was STARVING all the time. Right now, I have to remind myself to eat most days. So I'm feeling pretty confident that the weight loss will continue. Even at a lb a week, I'd reach a normal weight by 2021. That would have been impossible before this surgery.

This forum has been so helpful to maintaining my positive attitude. There are other slow losers here who are farther along in their journey - so you see it does work!

As for the drinking, I did drink alcohol once since my surgery. However, I will try not to do that again for a while. I'm less worried about calories or slowing my weight loss than other issues. As NovaLuna says, bariatric surgery definitely changes how you process alcohol - I could tell this from my try. And studies show increased risks of addiction and alcohol related death or health problems after bariatric surgery. I had some issues with alcohol in my 20s, and I don't want to trade one problem for another.

But please don't beat yourself up about it! That won't help. It's a really tough time right now for most people. Taking it day by day and doing our best is all we can do.

2 hours ago, Slim_mommee said:

Hey everyone! So as of this morning I reached my first goal to get in the 180’s. I’m super excited but when I did the math it literally took me two weeks to lose 3 lbs. Since surgery I’ve only lost 17bs and I think I may be doing something wrong. To be honest I’ve been drinking red wine in the evenings, like 2 glasses every couple days. I feel guilty but quarantined with my 14 and 10 year old and working from home is getting to me. Would the drinking have that large of an effect? Based on you guys past experience is this average for someone starting with a 38 BMI. Just looking for some encouragement or a swift kick in the butt.

I don’t have the answer, will leave that to others with more experience, but just HAD to SEND YOU HUGS working from home, trying to keep 2 adolescent children occupied and moving forward AND manage our WLS details.

Slim_mommee, this hugs for You and All in similar challenge. BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF!! Congrats on reaching out here! This too shall pass!!

All Best Wishes!💖

Thank you guys for the support and encouragement! It literally bought tears to my eyes. I’m so happy to have found this site because WLS is not for the faint of heart. I will endeavor to cut out the drinking bc I don’t want to trade one health issue for another. Lily66 I wrote an affirmation on an index card the other day that said “I will be gentle with myself and others” - so your encouragement was the reminder I needed. Unfortunately I tend to be very hard on myself and stress out if I don’t do things perfectly. But perfection is overrated :) Thanks again guys!

AND Slim_Mommee! We were SO eager to tell you that EVERYTHING IS OKAY, that I totally neglected to say CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your first goal of 180’s! Woo-Hoo🎉this is FABULOUS!I can totally relate because I said to myself this morning...”the real excitement for me will be reaching the 180’s”. I yo-yoed the 190’s-200’s for last bunch of years, but the 180’s were back aways for me. I’m kind of in a stall past few weeks, but keepin’ on and know it will happen.

Years ago I worried alcohol was becoming a problem for me, so I’m planning to not go there except maybe a glass or so family reunion, etc. a few times a year. I, too, have heard the risk of alcohol addiction is greater after WLS and I don’t want to go there!! I’ve watched it in my siblings and it’s a bear.

Your surgery was a couple of weeks before mine, and rjan above and I were same day! So many kindred threads here...

Bliss out on your SUCCESS Reaching the 180’s and give yourself a little smile and tee-hee that you’re choosing to slow the vino!💐💝

you're what we call a "lightweight", so you're not going to lose nearly as fast as someone who starts out at over 300 lbs. You are doing just fine - at least in the weight loss dept.

you're NOT doing fine in the drinking dept - and I"m glad you said you're going to try to cut it out. Like someone else said, my surgeon didn't allow drinking for the first year after surgery - and even now, we're only supposed to drink occasionally - and maybe just a glass of wine or two (or the equivalent) the few times when we DO drink. Alcoholism isn't uncommon among bariatric patients because of transfer addiction, so watch it...

I am going the other way! I do drink and have drank since about 3 months out. I agree with all of you that the calories in Vodka or any alcohol are high, However during this journey I relied on it to end the days stress and go to sleep. Now the old days would be lots of drinks, Now its just a Vodka and Flavored Protein Water for me and Night Night -

I do feel for you with the stress it is really getting to me also, My company is shut down and hemorrhaging money daily. So my view is if one drink helps - Go for it - Just exercised it off the next day

The reality is that the more you stray from the program set by your doctor and nutritionist, the less successful you will be in losing weight quickly. Drinking during the first year is a choice that will make it harder to lose weight, just like choices others make to eat sugar, carbs or fat. I'm not trying to reprimand anyone about their choices, but you need to bear in mind that they come with consequences.

Personally, I think it's very important to maximize weight loss during the honeymoon period, when it is easier than it will ever be again. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

21 hours ago, Slim_mommee said:

two glass isn't going to make that much difference except it may chill you out faster....

and there are not rules that say you can't. You most definitely can. Where i would adjust is the mixers.... stay away from the carbonated drinks..... Beer, coke, soda, tonic, sprite... etc. I stick with wine, margaritas, rum and juice.

If you want to be successful..... two things..... eat less and move more.

Portion EVERY meal.... and exercise. Cals in = Cals out....

this time my BMI was 32 (5'2" 173.5).... today i weigh 128 bmi 23.4. i drink a glass of wine every day or so....

21 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

... you do know that you're not supposed to drink alcohol for the first year after surgery right? My surgeon was VERY clear about that! And even though some surgeons are more lax they tell you to wait at LEAST 6 months before drinking alcohol. It's gonna slow your weight loss down and I'd worry about your liver because 1 glass is like drinking 3 or 4. That's how your system is processing it now. I'm not trying to preach or anything but my uncle didn't think it was a big deal and started drinking a beer every couple of days a few months out of his surgery and in less than two years he was dead of cirrhosis of his liver when he had been perfectly healthy before his weight loss surgery. I really don't want someone elses family to have to go through that!

The bigger reason they don't want you to drink is because lots of us have "addictive" personalities.... WLS has a high rate of transferring that addiction of food to something else.... like alcohol. Some its gambling, Sex..... They don't want to replace one with another. Lots of people can't handle drinking anymore. I for one can only drink one glass of wine. I never drink beer, soda, club soda, tonic.... or anything carbonated.

So sorry about your Uncle...

As far as right or wrong “rules”, I agree there likely is no “universal rule”. I asked my surgeon if I could have a couple glasses of wine with my stepdaughters in June...he replied “Sure, but expect it to go to your head much more quickly”. So here’s another very good surgeon saying it’s okay.

My reason to shy away from it is (for me) fearing the slippery slope knowing the unwanted gene of addiction in my family. I feel like with all we know re: alcohol after WLS “Buyer Beware” on your journey of Life.

29 minutes ago, Lily66 said:

feel like with all we know re: alcohol after WLS “Buyer Beware” on your journey of Life.

I agree and as a alcoholic i fully understand the disease, I will say i have never been able to kick the habit and most likely never will. I would add caution to the fact that the desire to drink after WLS is much more stronger post OP. I have been drinking since 16 years old and Done severe damage toll my body from it. I can function all day and get my company going but come 5 oclock its few drinks and off to bed. Post Op is even worse with the desire daily to drink, so the buyer beware is Dead On!

Obviously alcohol is empty calories and tons of sugar.......

Oh man, I hate threads like this. Not because of anything y'all are doing or saying, but because of the constant reminder of what we've been dealt with this coronavirus sh*t...it's just rough to see the amount of hard times we are having. I feel bad for the people whose surgery got cancelled and their life put on hold. I feel bad for us that have had the surgery and are struggling for one reason or another. It's like I can feel all y'alls pain. I'm glad we have this forum, and we have GOT to be here for each other. Hang in there, I love you all.

Edited by JRT Mom