Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Blood Pressure

Ugh, I fainted this morning on my way out of bed. This happens about every six months. I had low blood pressure 82/49 and my pulse was 64. I have half the symptoms of hypotension: dizziness, fainting, fatigue, and problems concentrating.

From the studies I read Gastric Sleeve can cause low blood pressure and it's really not an issue UNLESS you have issues like fainting. My blood pressure has always been on the low side, but not this low.

A normal pulse range is 60 to 100 beats per minute. If you're sedentary most of the day, like me during the pandemic, your RHR likely approaches or exceeds the top end of this range. Well, mine's at rock bottom.

My PCP and surgeon both work in the hospital where they are treating COVID-19 patients and I am not comfortable going there. Fortunately, I can message either of them, which I'll do.

OK, here's the question. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Did anything help?

I messaged my surgeon and PCP so I should get some information shortly.

all I can say is - it's not uncommon. Be sure to transition (from lying down to sitting - or sitting to standing) slowly...

I haven't actually fainted, but I come pretty close every time I rise quickly, and often have to stop to steady myself until the spots go away. Like you, I had low blood pressure historically. I'd definitely talk to your doctors, but when I asked mine about it, they weren't awfully concerned. They said to be sure I was getting all my fluids and to try to up my electrolyte/salt intake a bit if possible.

@darcyjae, yeah, I think you are right. I haven't heard back from my PCP or surgeon but I have FIVE doctor friends on Facebook (!?) and they all said more fluids, more salt, move slowly but it's not a big deal.

I had low blood pressure and would get dizzy when I stood up - my Doctor said my sodium levels were low and I should drink a packet of chicken boulliun (5calories) each day to increase my sodium intake. It has helped and I can tell when I forget because I begin to feel lightheaded :)

I always had a tendency to low blood pressure but after my surgery it was low all the time - black spots, loss of vision, light headedness but no fainting (couple of close calls though). I was put on medication (a fludrocortisone) but it didn’t help.

I find if my vision starts to go when I stand or am walking, it helps if I bend over to get my head down to waist height to get the blood to my head more quickly.

Long term low blood pressure does have serious side effects so try to get to your doctor as soon as possible.

Low blood pressure has become a way of life for me. I always have to get up slowly (10 secs or so) or Im on the floor. I think this is from dropping weight so quickly and hope it will get better when my body gets more used to the change over a period of time. Ill keep you posted.

Edited by Krestel

I currently have it also, Problem is I had high blood pressure and had heart surgery. So if i take my heart meds and jump up I am going down. One thing i have found that helps is electrolytes, I use the tablets that go in a bottle of Water. If you keep them high it seems to minimize the dizzy. I have been told this will pass once you get healthy, but for me I move slow and get up slow.

I'm going to check my salt today, at least from Baritastic. I switched to Cirkul water, which has electrolytes. I think just getting up slowly will really help. Thanks, all!

You need to really up them I do not think bottled pre made is strong eneogh the tablets on Amazon for runners work great and easy to use

@WInston223322I have a telemedicine call with my PCP coming up shortly. Thanks!

Edited by JessLess

Experiencing this now. It’s been worse Id say this past week when I was doing more activity. So I have fainting and dizziness accompanied by muscle cramps. And like most here I do NOT want a trip to the ER to risk covid. When I had muscle cramps before my doctor told me to increase electrolytes and drinking sugar free Gatorade should help. I’m going to ask if adding a salt tablet would be even better as it seems I am getting worse. Once again this community has helped me at least formulate questions for my doctor. Thank you all!

I had low blood pressure in the early months out of surgery. No fainting, but I would definitely get woozy and my vision would darken quite a bit when I got up quickly or moved suddenly. At the time, my doc said to try to increase my salt intake.

Around the 5-6 month mark or so the frequency of these episodes reduced greatly. I'm guessing its because I started to eat a little more "normal" at the time vs. the extreme calorie/carb restriction before that.

I'm 1.5 yrs out now and rarely have them anymore (if at all...the last time was probably 3 months ago...but I just had PS and wasn't eating much, so there's that).

@JessLess, curious as to what your doc had to say?

P.S. As for heart rates (according to the data collected from my watch), pre-surgery it was probably around 85-90 (resting). For 6 or so months after surgery it went down to about 55-60 resting. Now it looks like I average about 70 beats per minute (resting).

Another interesting thing I found is that pre-surgery, DURING EXERCISE, my heart rate would go up to as high as 188! And I probably wasn't even exercising very hard. Now, after say, a 5K run, it barely goes up further than 150. Further, my recovery time (the time it takes for my heart to go back to "normal") is like 70% faster than before.

Just goes to show how much my weight before was probably slowly killing me.

Edited by ms.sss

@ms.sss, I've been feeling a lot better. These were my doctor's notes from a telemedicine visit, which is remarkably similar to what my doctor friends told me.

"Vasovagal syncope
She reports a few syncopal events always in the morning when she was getting up out of bed. I suspect this is related to low blood pressure that is secondary to rapid weight loss and a lowering of blood pressure overall that her body has may be not adjusted to. I recommend she increase the salt in her diet. She is also check blood work to make sure she is not anemic already drinking plenty of fluids. I also recommend compression stockings to be put on in the morning. I recommend she get up very slowly from bed. If this persists despite the measures as discussed above I recommend she will need a cardiology visit with EKG and echocardiogram and potential Holter monitor."