Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It has been almost 2 freaking weeks that my surgeon has been waiting on me to decide which surgery I want so that they can go ahead submit to insurance for approval. I can't decide between the bypass and the sleeve! I know all the pros and cons and side effects of both surgeries, but I have been on the fence for the whole process and thought I would know by now. I do not want to just go with the sleeve and fall back on the fact that you can get revision surgery later. I don't ever want a revision and I don't want to waste any more years being unhealthy and miserable.

Here's my stats: 44 yo, Caucasian, female, 5'7, 290 lbs, bmi 45, and I have hypothyroidism. I do not have any issues with GERD. I just need to figure out which surgery I can achieve and maintain a healthy weight of around 135 lbs assuming I exercise and eat well. If anyone has stats similar to mine and had surgery, any info on your stats would be helpful. Any advice is appreciated!

There are other things to take into consideration as well. With Bypass you can't EVER take NSAIDS. That was the reason I did the surgery I did. I have back issues and although tumeric is nice and all for inflammation I really want to be able to take my Naproxen (though admittedly, I can't take it until I'm 6 months out due to possible ulcer issue). So if you have an inflammatory condition and tumeric either isn't enough for you or you need something in addition to it then Bypass wouldn't be for you. Also, asprin is in a LOT of medicine and you'd have to pay close attention to labels. My surgeon was stressing this to everyone when discussing Bypass because some idiot took asprin and ended up in the hospital for three months and almost died due to a major bleed because they 'forgot'. If you don't have any problem with not taking NSAIDS for the rest of your life then I'd say go for the Bypass because it statistically has greater weight loss. But, in the end this is your life and YOU are the one who will have to live with the choice you make. So, my suggestion is follow your gut instinct, whatever that may be. And good luck!

There are a lot of people on here who post about why ther choice is the gold standard, the best, etc. What I’ve gathered is most people who follow their plans have success and few complications with either surgery.

My surgeon recommends the sleeve unless people have GERD. I think I would have been happy with either, and the sleeve was the right choice for me. It’s really a matter of personal preference. If your surgeon isn’t guiding you, you may want a second opinion just to get more information to help you decide.

Hi! I will tell you my story. I’m 5’2” and Caucasian female. I was 50 when I went to my surgeon at 283 three and a half years ago. I was 256 4.5 month later when I had my VSG. I did amazing. I lost 112 lbs most of it in the first 7-8 months. I thought for sure I was home free I was really committed and excited. At my one year I was maintaining at my 2 year I was up 20 at my 3 year I was up 60 lbs.

The thing about the sleeve is there is no malabsorption. Also you are able to eat whatever you want without repercussion as far as sickness. Sugar, fat whatever. Also after a while I was able to eat a decent quantity and of course there was the grazing.

Six weeks ago I had my conversion at 232 I had a modified DS. I asked about a bypass. My surgeon said it wouldn’t result in a great weight loss. The DS is no joke. It’s early I know. I ate some frosting off a cake on Easter yesterday (my first cheat and not that much either) and I was up all night. I’m hoping that gets easier.

Every one of these surgeries comes with good and bad and sometimes the good is bad and the bad is good. For instance I won’t be eating frosting again. I’m down over 30lbs in 6 weeks and I’m committed to keeping it off and staying on track and never letting myself gain weight back again. There’s no easy fix and there’s no one size fits all answer. Wish you the best!

I didn't want the "dumping" syndrome so after having a failed band I had a sleeve. My surgery was the end of July and I'm down 95 pounds. I have no regrets.

4 hours ago, cowgirlcullen said:

It has been almost 2 freaking weeks that my surgeon has been waiting on me to decide which surgery I want so that they can go ahead submit to insurance for approval. I can't decide between the bypass and the sleeve! I know all the pros and cons and side effects of both surgeries, but I have been on the fence for the whole process and thought I would know by now. I do not want to just go with the sleeve and fall back on the fact that you can get revision surgery later. I don't ever want a revision and I don't want to waste any more years being unhealthy and miserable.

Here's my stats: 44 yo, Caucasian, female, 5'7, 290 lbs, bmi 45, and I have hypothyroidism. I do not have any issues with GERD. I just need to figure out which surgery I can achieve and maintain a healthy weight of around 135 lbs assuming I exercise and eat well. If anyone has stats similar to mine and had surgery, any info on your stats would be helpful. Any advice is appreciated!

I think they both work but it's really your mind that will f up later on when you decide to eat those Cookies that you shouldn't have your mind is the trigger seriously! (btw you can't eat a lot w gastric bypass) I have 4 friends that had the gastric sleeve and only 1 has a healthy weight , the other 3 are probably bigger than when they started. My aunt had the gastric sleeve and she is eating a lot so she has gained a few lbs after a year. I only got the RNY cause I had acid reflux but I feel I made the right decision. It was a smooth transaction for me. Now one of my gastric sleeve friends wants to get a revision after seeing my results but I really think she needs counseling cause she is drinking a lot. She has addictive ways. Anyways lady...I would recommend watching videos. I followed a lot of people on YouTube and it helped so much preparing and seeing what they went through during each phase. Good luck!

actually, a lot of surgeons are now recommending that sleeve patients avoid NSAIDs as well, so that might not be a consideration anymore.

I chose RNY because I had GERD, but also, at the time I had surgery, the sleeve was still relatively new, and I wanted something with a lot of research and data behind it. I was afraid the sleeve might end up being Lapband 2. However, the sleeve has been around long enough at this point that it's proven itself.

If I had to choose again, I'd still choose RNY because of the GERD issue, but if it weren't for that, I'm not sure which one I'd choose. They're both good surgeries and you'll find many people who've had success with both.

Wow, thank you so, so much for replies! They were super helpful and I have actually made up my mind finally, woo hoo! I have decided to go with the bypass due to my bmi and due to issues with my metabolism being slow from my hypothyroidism, but mostly because I feel I can definitely meet my goal weight and stay at that weight successfully with this surgery. I am new on here, so I really appreciate the thoughts and insights!

Edited by cowgirlcullen

On 4/13/2020 at 10:22 PM, cowgirlcullen said:

I was going to go for the sleeve but my surgeon recommended the mini bypass.

Same recovery time as the sleeve but better long term results.

I am 4wks out, started at 290 at 5'3. I'm 271 today :) i also have hypothyroidism.

But at the end of the day, it's upto you. Does your surgeon have a preference?

Edited by Sabs211

On 4/14/2020 at 6:52 AM, cowgirlcullen said:

Sure I'm a male and only 35 and 6ft0 but I started at 322 and I always had issues that I would put on weight without even trying like my metabolism was so screwed from so many years of bad choices I knew I needed something drastic to change my life so I decided on the bypass and it has been amazing.. recovery was a breeze.. I'm 8 months out and I still have restriction and I rarely have cravings.. I've been very lucky because my metabolism has changed like I don't even think about food much at all and my body now seems to not gain weight I've lost 150lbs in 8 months and I look and feel amazing.. I'm serious I hardly get cravings for bad food, I still enjoy a shake every now and then some days I don't even feel like eating.. but over Easter I had some chocolate and some fries and it didn't make any difference to my weight at all of course I felt bad well guilty but it was one day out of 8 months I decided to treat myself.. but yes it seems like I cannot gain weight now I'm 170lbs which is lower than I ever thought possible being a tall man all my life being the big guy now ppl call me skinny and tell me to stop losing weight and I tell them the bypass is amazing it has made life so much easier, sure you have to be committed to a new way of life and strict diet until maintenance.. 8 months I started my journey but 6 months ago I had the bypass and I am below my goal weight and below my surgeons GOALS... I'm not trying to force my opinion on you but I can tell you I've lost weight before but NEVER this much and this quickly and I've never got to 170 before so I believe the bypass has completely changed the way my body processes food... After 8 months of strict dieting I have had a few treats here and there but my weight still stays the same!!!!

If you have any questions I'm here..