Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you hate to eat?

I was banded on Oct. 22. (My starting BMI 35 and now 33.7) (7 lb weight loss - uugh! I'll take it, but I wish it was more.) Anyway, I had my first fill 2 days ago, but since my surgery I am starting to hate eating. There is so much to this band. (Not that I regret my decision). If I eat too much, pain, not chewing well, pain. I know this sounds dumb, and the most yucky thing is I can feel everything go down - it is not pleasant. No vomiting or regurge going on. I guess I just want to eat. And I did not realize that my brain is so hooked on eating. Even when I am not hungry, which is most of the time, I want to eat. It is frustrating because it is for NO REASON. Crazy, huh? Thanks for letting me vent!

Heather:eek::D

I was banded on Oct. 22. (My starting BMI 35 and now 33.7) (7 lb weight loss - uugh! I'll take it, but I wish it was more.) Anyway, I had my first fill 2 days ago, but since my surgery I am starting to hate eating. There is so much to this band. (Not that I regret my decision). If I eat too much, pain, not chewing well, pain. I know this sounds dumb, and the most yucky thing is I can feel everything go down - it is not pleasant. No vomiting or regurge going on. I guess I just want to eat. And I did not realize that my brain is so hooked on eating. Even when I am not hungry, which is most of the time, I want to eat. It is frustrating because it is for NO REASON. Crazy, huh? Thanks for letting me vent!

Heather:eek::(

Well, eating does not mean the same to me as it used to. I used to live to eat, now I just eat to live. Although, sometimes the bad habits have crept back, like when I'm feeling down and need some comfort food.

You are right, there is much to the band, it is such a learning process and everyone is different. What some experiences, others dont and visa versa.

Congratulations on your band.....The first 6 months is all about learning, the 2nd 6 months is about applying it. lol. At least that is how it has been for me.

Being 9 days post-op I find eating "scary." I don't know how my band will react. Of course I am on mushies but that includes baked fish and cooked veggies which I had last night. It went down fine. I know I don't have any restriction yet because I don't have a fill but I still get nervous with every bite and sip. At the moment I do hate eating which I never thought would be possible.

Not at all, I still enjoy a totally normal lifestyle, I'm really lucky. I can eat almost anything I want to, I just get full much quicker. So I do really enjoy meals out, I love cooking and creating great meals etc.

Sometimes I'm tighter than others and I'll just have a mouthful or two and I'm done and dont really care about that, so my attitude is different - I dont force food in when I really dont want it anymore.

Right at the moment? YES, I hate eating. I'm 12 days post op and still on liquids. I dread it. I absolutely HATE artificial sweetner, and everything we CAN eat has it in it. It gives me headaches. I have no food choices at the moment, except what cream Soup I'm having for dinner and whether I want a chocolate shake or vanilla. so yes. I hate eating at the moment and only do it so I won't get sick.

It sure is different for everyone and i did not know that going into this process. I am 8 weeks out from surgery, I have had two fills and neither has given me restriction yet but I have lost 25 lbs. so far. I can eat anything, I can drink carbonated drinks, but I eat much less. I do not feel it going down. I have gotten stuck several times and spit up twice. Most of the time the stuck piece works it way down. I can feel it the minute it does down. I am losing slowly but I guess that is okay. I go for my third fill next week and expect more restriction.

My head is not as restricted as my stomach!! I want to eat more than I can or do. I am sitting here wanting to eat a sugar free fat free chocolate pudding-but no way-but I find myself wishing I were hungry cause I want to eat it. Crazy huh? Only you folks would understand!

My head is not as restricted as my stomach!! I want to eat more than I can or do. I am sitting here wanting to eat a sugar free fat free chocolate pudding-but no way-but I find myself wishing I were hungry cause I want to eat it. Crazy huh? Only you folks would understand!

Heck, yes! I made some great shredded chicken with taco seasoning and had refried Beans and almost wanted to cry when I couldn't eat more of it. LOL

Your post cracked me up....I have gone through some of the same thoughts and wondered if I was the only one! We all seem to have such different experiences. My band is pretty fickle on what I can eat , and things get stuck often....I will eat a few bites of something, and it will be great, and the next bite gets stuck. I walk, sip pineapple juice, chew a papaya enzyme, and usually end up running to the bathroom anyway! My episodes are almost entirely mucous...such fun! PB is a stupid term...who in the world would call that a burp!!

Anyway, I try to be careful and respect my band, and I enjoy it with humor over the whole thing...I paid $10k for this not-so-subtle reminder, and I have lost weight, I get full on small amounts, and my self esteem is better than it's been in years...I am more mentally energetic.

I LOVE the taste of good food...and miss being able to enjoy it in more quantity....you will negotiate with your band, but as time goes on, you and your new buddy will strike a happy medium!

Oh, I too, HATE artificial sweeteners. I buy Jarrow Protein Powder from Buy Discount Vitamins, supplements, Low Carb and More at www.Vitacost.com . It has no splenda or any of that stuff. It is not as strong tasting, so I mix with less Water. There are a lot of creative, healthy ways you can eat at this stage and avoid the sweeteners. Feel free to PM me, and I will try to give you any ideas I can!

good luck!

Thank you for the V8 recommendation. I LOVE it. It never tasted so good, and for some reason I stay full longer with it than just about any other liquid. I'm having a hard time with avoiding the artificial sweetners. ANY recipes or advice would be welcomed.

P.S. I did have some cream of portabella mushroom Soup last night that is made with soy milk. It was HEAVENLY. I found it at the health food store and it is low fat and low carbs. I added a scoop of protien and voila... GOURMET!!

Heck, yes! I made some great shredded chicken with taco seasoning and had refried Beans and almost wanted to cry when I couldn't eat more of it. LOL

oh, i can so relate. especially Thanksgiving. this HUGE dinner and i literally had a dessert plate with about 2 oz turkey and some stuffing/sweet potatoes and that was it...

but you know, i think losing my weight is worth the sacrifice.

It's a trade off we've all made here! Head hunger sure does play funny games with us!

I must admit, I've been on solids since November 16th, and I can count on one finger the number of times I've had red meat (a hamburger)--I just can't bear to continue to chew and then pray it goes down well without pain!

I've fallen back on the softer foods, chicken, fish, beans--but beef and pork are out completely for me. I wasn't crazy for them, but it makes cooking dinner for my husband a little harder (he does his thing and cooks me my little bit--what a lover!) :hungry:

I guess maybe I'm the weird one here but I absolutely LOVE not being able to finish food on my plate. It is such a self-satisfying sight! I get to eat what I wanted (at this stage), it tasted fairly good, and I left tons behind. I think that's awesome! I'm not upset at all about what I can't finish but I'm jumping up and down and excited that I CAN'T finish it.

It's almost become a challenge to me to see how much I will leave on the plate. I can't finish a cup of Soup, I can't finish a bowl of oatmeal, takes me forever to drink a cup of juice or a bottle of Water. I'm thinking to myself "is that really me? This ROCKS!!"

Dunno, like I said, maybe I'm weird but I think it's absolutely amazing that I am leaving food behind...you'd think I'd won the lottery at each meal or something, I get so excited.

Guess it just gives me hope that when I do move to regular foods, I won't be able to jump in with both feet...I'll wade a little bit and enjoy that just as much!:clap2: