Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bostonians, are you there?

Hi Folks:

I have no doubt that there are lots of you out there who have recently had a gastric sleeve or bypass in the Boston area.

My sleeve was done on February 26 at MassGeneral by Denise Gee.

I feel very well. Maybe too well. I find that I don't feel "full" as some describe here. Actually I don't remember feeling full since I was a little kid and that was a very long time ago. I'm just about 3 weeks out from surgery and I'm down 10 pounds. Doesn't seem like much but when you average it out it's about 3 pounds a week so I guess that's not bad. I waiting for the "big weight drop" but right not it's not feeling like it's going to happen!

Please drop me a note .... I would love to compare notes.

Grace

Hi Folks:
I have no doubt that there are lots of you out there who have recently had a gastric sleeve or bypass in the Boston area.
My sleeve was done on February 26 at MassGeneral by Denise Gee.
I feel very well. Maybe too well. I find that I don't feel "full" as some describe here. Actually I don't remember feeling full since I was a little kid and that was a very long time ago. I'm just about 3 weeks out from surgery and I'm down 10 pounds. Doesn't seem like much but when you average it out it's about 3 pounds a week so I guess that's not bad. I waiting for the "big weight drop" but right not it's not feeling like it's going to happen!
Please drop me a note .... I would love to compare notes.
Grace

I'm not from Boston proper, but I had my surgery done at Brigham and women's on February 10. I'm feeling great, except for a cold I am not shaking. I'm down 17 from the date of surgery, 27 from pre op to now, so about the same pace as you. How are you feeling overall?

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Lisa:

Thanks for responding to my post. You're about a week ahead of me. If I'm counting only post-op weight, I'm down only ten pounds which is an average of about 3 pounds a week. One worry that I have is that I don't get "full". I'm always thinking of what I can eat next, just like before my operation. I hope that if I tried to eat too much my stomach would stop me, but not so far. I'm ingesting about 700 - 800 calories daily. Overall, I feel really good, Very, very good as a matter of fact but like you, I'm feeling like I'm coming down with a cold now. I surely hope it's just a cold and not that miserable virus.

I live in Boston very near to MassGeneral. I worked there for 23 years - retired now....

With the exception of your cold I sure hope all is going well for you and continues to do so.

My best,

Grace

@IAmGrace; I don't really get "full" either in the way that I used to; but after I eat a surprisingly small amount I start to get the hiccups or get a feeling in my chest that I am starting to recognize as "full".

I am now eating between 600 and 700 a day; I was over 700 today. I find I have to be very rigid; I have Breakfast, lunch, dinner and 1 or 2 "snacks" depending on where I am for Protein that day. Otherwise I could eat (but certainly don't need to) 1/2 hour after I last ate. My nutritionist warned about "grazing". Certainly at 700 or 800 calories a day you will still lose weight, but once we can ingest more the grazing will lead to weight gain.

I'm getting a bit more adventurous with food; I had a small amount of corned beef and cabbage, and today I had the ground beef part of some Shepard's Pie. But I do find 2 or 2.5 ounces are plenty. I am using very small plates, and I stop eating when the food is gone, and I realize I am not hungry!

I hope your cold is just a cold; I hope mine is, too. I am a bit worried because I feel like my immune system is not very robust right now; I had the actual flu right before my surgery (in fact it delayed my surgery for one week), then back to back colds, and with such low calories I feel like I don't have much to fight off any virus. And I am 61, so in that respect I am "high risk", too. My work is doing 5 days out of every 10; so there are very few people in my office.

I hope you are in a comfortable situation to ride this out! Wishing you health and happiness!

Thank you again Lisa.

I feel a bit mystified inasmuch as if I stay on 700 - 800 calories a day I would surely lose weight anyway. This does make me wonder about the wisdom of this surgery. I haven't figured that out yet. I should change my name to "Bewildered in Boston." :)

Take care.

my best,

Grace

Good morning. I'm in Newton and I had my sleeve surgery a year and a half ago at Newton-Wellesley. The surgery went great. Let me know if you all need anything.

Hi

i live just outside of Boston. Grace it sounds like you are doing very well. I too had my surgery by Denise Gee at MGH at the end of January. Between the pre-op diet and surgery I have lost almost 60lbs. Still losing but it is down to about lb a week. However, This was the best thing I ever did. I feel so much better. No complications at all. I do need to watch the intake as my appetite has returned and can relate with not feeling full.

So nice to hear from a fellow Dr. Gee patient. I liked her, but I really think my operation was a bust! I was done (a sleeve) on February 26 and am only down 13 pounds. I think I could eat almost any reasonable amount. I don't feel full. Very disappointed! I'm happy for you, though. Did you have a bypass or sleeve?

Grace

Hi Grace I had my surgery at nwh with doctor partridge I too find it a bit easier to eat lately I actually somehow gained a bit this week. Down 46 lbs total since 2/25 sleeve but grazing a bit to much maybe. Stay in touch maybe we can keep each other motivated
All the best
Rachel

@rjeannotte79, Dr. Partridge did my surgery as well, and I've been very happy with it and her office. I had the sleeve.

Since the pandemic, I had gained about 5 lbs. I think it was due to moving around less throughout the day, even though I am exercising, and also from snacking. Since I became more aware of it, I lost 2 and hope to keep slowly losing even though I am pretty much in maintenance.

Hi Grace

i had the sleeve. It went really well and I too liked Dr Gee, If I were you, I would follow up with the MGH weight center. I too find myself still hungry. In talking with them, they have possible solutions or meds to help. It is worth discussing with them

Good Luck and don’t lose heart

Hi Grace

No? Not yet. I am still losing weight so no need now. I am just afraid that if I start gaining again. I know I am still a fat person in a thinner body :).

Keep the faith. You will start losing again.

i had the sleeve. It went really well and I too liked Dr Gee, If I were you, I would follow up with the MGH weight center. I too find myself still hungry. In talking with them, they have possible solutions or meds to help. It is worth discussing with them

Good Luck and don’t lose heart