Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'M STARVING and its only day 3

I was banded on Monday and today i'm so hungry. What can I eat. I've had clear broth and pudding... can someone please post a list of foods acceptable for the first week??? When can I eat Farina?:help:

Thanks

I totally feel your pain!!! My surgery is on Friday and my doctor required a 10 day pre-op diet, which means that I was on Day 2 on Thanksgiving!!! It seems like all doctors are different though. Are you supposed to just do Clear Liquids or can you have full liquids. Mine was 6 days full liquids and 4 days of clear... I'm at a loss myself on the clear liquids, but if you can have full liquids let me know and I'll give you some suggestions!

My doctor didn't require a pre-liquid diet. almost wish he had... I ate very light my last day and enjoyed a salad. I'm just confused now because I wasn't expecting to be this hungry. Good luck with your surgery on Friday.

Thanks! I'm starting to get pretty edgy about it, but mostly because I feel like I have a million things to do and, thanks to the pre-op diet, very little energy to do it with!

The surgery was a breeze. I was nervous at first too but then the nurses were talking to me and explaining that I was 1 of 5 patients who were receiving the band on Monday. I also had my galdbladder out 10 years ago and my doctor said the lap band was easier then that...

Hi Novbeginning -

Does your Dr have you on CLEAR liquids, or anything as long as it's liquid? I wasn't on clear liquids after surgery, so I had sugar free pop cicles and fudge bars, cream Soups - Tomato Soup, cream of chicken Soup (strained), sugar free hot chocolate, and Protein drinks to make sure I got in a lot of Protein. (I drank Atkins) I had my surgery on a Thurs, and just like you - I was hungry by the 3rd day. I was really surprised that I was so hungry so soon!! Some days I would 4-5 Protein Drinks, plus other stuff in between. I was a worried that I was taking in too much, but still managed to lose 6lbs during that 2 weeks.

Hope this helps!

I suggest the Isopure clear Protein Drinks. They're a little tough to get down (they leave a weird feeling in your mouth), but they have 40 grams of Protein in the whole bottle. I also got these protein packets from GNC that you mix into Water like Crystal light. They have 10 grams of protein. I don't know how many calories they have. But day 5 I was so weak, I was miserable. I saw my dietician and she told me I needed protein. Those to-go packs of protein really helped. Obviously, check with your clinic about whether things like that are ok for you. It gets a lot better once you move to full liquids. :(

I can have liquids, it doesn't have to be clear. I guess i'm so overwelmed right now - I can't think of what to eat. I also don't know if what I feel is hunger pain or heart burn (i'm getting alot of that too)

I have an extremely strict surgeon from the looks of it, but yeah, it seems that from what I've read, most people with the lower BMIs don't have to go through this. But my uncles are all doctors so I do what I'm told, lol. And I suppose it doesn't hurt to go ahead and get used to the regimen since i'll be eating similar things post op too.

Didn't you get a hand out that explained what to eat week 1, week 2, week 3 and week 4??

This is what I ate the first 7 days after my surgery.

1/4 to 1/2 cup per meal.

Protein drinks

blenderized Soups, no lumps

thinned hot Cereal ie: cream of wheat or malt-o-meal

thinned mashed potatoes

thinned sugar-free yogurt

sugar free popsicles.

Between meals:

Water

crystal light

broth

coffe or tea

Tomato juice

flat diet soda

sugar-free Gelatin

Start your day with Protein and it will help with being hungry.

IF you are allowed full liquids, try putting some Beans, or your favorite side dish in a food processor. if the consistency is too thick to put through a straw try adding some broth or Water. the healthy choice Soups blend down really well. i would melt some cheese in it, and it was very filling. i also really enjoyed great northern Beans.

make sure though that you can have full liquids or anything that fits through a straw. i would hate for you to do anything that goes against your doctor's orders.

I'm a few days out and here's what I'm allowed to eat, 48 hours out:

Light yogurt no chunks

Protein shake w/ice and skim milk plus (whey Protein from Target, vanilla, is good)

apple sauce

tea w/out caffeine (herbals are good)

sugar free Jello

broth (made myself w/turkey and veggies)

lots of H2O

that's it the list....

But of course, I would call and check with your doctor about what he/she allows