Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Corona delaying weight loss surgery dates? Anyone?

Just got an email saying to expect delays in my pre op approval and prep program process. Trying not to feel selfishly bummed when I’m so ready to jump into this. Anyone hear of surgeries being postponed due to the growing seriousness of the pandemic? I imagine it’s inevitable.

My surgery is a week from tomorrow and I am hoping that my surgery doesn’t get cancelled!

Mine is scheduled in 12 days. So far no cancellation but I am thinking it is a possibility that within that timeframe frame the dr or hospital could postpone.

31 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

I have doubts you'll get the surgery at this point. The reason why is because they are closing down all un-emergency surgery step by step. 

I work at the hospital that I will be having it done and so far they are not canceling surgeries. I work in a procedure area and we do 95% elective cases but are still pretty busy. Just taking day by day. It’s definitely going to get worse before it gets better.

Hospitals in Seattle (the US epicenter) are canceling elective surgery. I would assume some other hospitals will follow suit in a week - 2 weeks.

probably depends on where you live. Some parts of the country have been hit a lot harder than others. In those, I can see them postponing elective or non-critical surgeries just so they can deal with a potential onslaught of COVD-19 patients.

Yep, it will eventually resolve. Here they have closed everything that isn't neccessary. Like all dentist app. that arent acuute, all surgeries that aren't acute, hair dressers, spas, swimming and work out facilities, all schools, all kindergartens, all public offices, not allowed to gather more than 10 people and those 10 have to be a meter apart and so on. They opt everyone to have home office if possible, people are layed off. Grocery stores and pharmacies are open. It is what it is. That is also why I am beeing realistic at this point that your WLS surgergies sadly probably won't go as planned all of them. I wish this for all of you, but I wish that everyone is healthy and that we limit possiblities of spread at the top of my food chain.
Where do you live?

It's MY time!

As more and more people get Wuhan virus, hospitals will eliminate elective surgeries like WLS. I think we are a couple of months away from that though. As other posters have said, it depends on where you live.

Prayers for those of you who are waiting for your surgeries. My hopea are for everything to take place in it's time.

5 hours ago, Uomograsso said:

As more and more people get Wuhan virus, hospitals will eliminate elective surgeries like WLS. I think we are a couple of months away from that though. As other posters have said, it depends on where you live.

It's Coronavirus or COVID-19 and it will depend on the level of outbreak and how fast it spreads. I doubt months though.

18 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Not months, days.

Care place a bet on it?

12 hours ago, Mello1 said:

It's Coronavirus or COVID-19 and it will depend on the level of outbreak and how fast it spreads. I doubt months though.

It originated in Wuhan China. Historically flu strains are named after their place of origin. Hence Wuhan virus. More accurately it is Wuhan coronavirus. The disease it causes is named COVID 19. The official name of the virus is SARS-CoV-2. A coronavirus encompasses a wide variety of viruses, not just the Wuhan coronavirus. It is now being report that the death rate for those under 50 is 0.1%. Yes it is serious due to the transmission rate being higher than that of influenza, but the irrational fear being pumped out daily does nothing to help the situation.

Edited by Uomograsso

On 03/13/2020 at 12:21, Uomograsso said:

It originated in Wuhan China. Historically flu strains are named after their place of origin. Hence Wuhan virus. More accurately it is Wuhan coronavirus. The disease it causes is named COVID 19. The official name of the virus is SARS-CoV-2. A coronavirus encompasses a wide variety of viruses, not just the Wuhan coronavirus. It is now being report that the death rate for those under 50 is 0.1%. Yes it is serious due to the transmission rate being higher than that of influenza, but the irrational fear being pumped out daily does nothing to help the situation.

I am aware of where it came from, but that wasn’t the name of it, that’s all I’m saying. But the situation is serious due to a lack of testing. That’s driving the fear.