Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inexpensive Lap Band Removal???

Toniteach,

I just wanted you to know that I know exactly how you feel. I have been there (and am still there). I was banded in October 2004. I lost 90 lbs. initially, then started having band-problems (i.e. pb'ing, can't eat, can only eat junk, etc.). I've been considering removal since 2005 - sometimes I wonder what it would feel like to know that I don't have anything foreign in my body. I've been one of the ones who had a complete unfil, and still had problems.

Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. When I checked with my Dr. (Kuri) back in 2005, they quoted me a price of $3500. That may have gone up now, but I will call them next week to see what they are currently charging.

Good luck to you~

I'm so glad there are people out there who can relate to me so I don't feel so alone!!!! I must say, Condanchri, you should be so PROUD...90 pounds is so incredible!

But it is a pain to have so many problems....and I'm sick of being sick after my meals!!!! And sick of eating junk.....and on and on. Thanks for letting me whine here. I don't feel comfortable doing it with "unbanded" friends.

BTW...this post was interrupted as it was my dinnertime after I started typing, so I ate a little Pasta and....you guessed it! Couldn't keep it down. Pass the chips. :confused:

~Toni

Toni, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. :confused: A word to the wise: when you're price-shopping be sure you get the TOTAL price for removal. I can't imagine a situation in the U.S. where the price for any surgery would be as low as $5500. That is probably the surgeon's fee alone, and all the facility charges would be extra.

Good luck with your unfill on Monday. Will they be taking a look at the band's position? If nothing else, once you have an unfill you might try staying away from Pasta or anything at all that is starchy (rice, bread, potatoes, pasta). My first time around I couldn't take more than one or two bits of anything like that without feeling it right away.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how it goes!

I was told by my doctor that once I get my goal weight, that the band could be deflated and he wants me to eat regular size meals. That might be an alternative to removal.

Hmmm, I dont know how necessary that will be. I'm maintaining perfectly on 3ml in a 4ml band, I suspect were I to be unfilled, I would gain weight. I know Chickie has an empty band for maintenance but I've always been told that the aim is not to deflate it, just to learn to live with whatever fill level you maintain on.

I had a lap band approx. 7 years ago; the old kind; can't be filled, etc; I never lost more than 30 pounds and I've never been able to eat certain things since then. I can not eat meat other than ground meat. All others make me very sick. Raw fruits and veges do the same thing. I have been miserable all this time and want mine removed. Anyone know a great doctor in Houston that will do it? I think my doc who did the surgery botched it, because my best friend and I had it done the same day by the same doc and we both have had nothing but trouble. She did, however, lose more weight than I did. I advise everyone NOT to get the surgery!

I feel your pain, I had the band on May 7 I've only lost 22 lbs. Everytime they fill the band I get sick then they unfill. For $13,500 it hasn't been worth it. I was better off taking Wellbutrin for weight loss - in fact I lost 45 lbs in less than 5 months while I was on this medication - but it's hard to get MD to give this for weight loss.

Hi, I just had my labband removed by Dr. Wade Barker in Dallas, TExas, at the Forest Park Medical Center. he has a website. look him up. and I paid out of pocket as well. it wasnt as expensive as putting it in.. Thank Goodness!

Hi, I just had my labband removed by Dr. Wade Barker in Dallas, TExas, at the Forest Park Medical Center. he has a website. look him up. and I paid out of pocket as well. it wasnt as expensive as putting it in.. Thank Goodness!

how much did it cost?

I know this is an old thread, but I also had my band removed by Wade Barker on 1/08/10. He put it in March 2006. I 've been having pain and after tests found out I had gall stones and a hiatal hernia. Dr. Barker charged me $5000 to revise my band to the sleeve. My insurance paid for the gall bladder removal and hernia repair.

I am SO GLAD to have the band out and think it contributed to my hernia.