Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inexpensive Lap Band Removal???

Hello!

I am considering having my band removed for many reasons---but the surgeon who "installed" it charges the same amount to remove it! :cry Any other suggestions? I have called other surgeon's offices today, but haven't gotten any responses/calls back as to what they charge.

I'm feeling desperate and sick inside of this unwise choice I've made financially for my family. Yes, I regret ever having the band to start with.

Thanks in advance for any replies~

Toni

would you want to remove it if I might ask... I am still deciding on getting the procedure done.

I am just having too many problems with vomiting and not tolerating many foods, and not losing any weight. But that's just MY story....many have found success with the band. Good luck!

Toni

I am just having too many problems with vomiting and not tolerating many foods, and not losing any weight. But that's just MY story....many have found success with the band. Good luck!

Toni

Thanks I guess that was pretty rude of me to ask. I will keep you in my prayers

Apple...there won't be a removal if I can't find one that's affordable! (I'm self-pay). But seriously---I may join a weight loss program at some point or just watch portions and try to exercise as much as I can.

A plan is a good thing to have...thanks for bringing that to the "table"!

~Toni

Well I know you are anxious right now to find some answers to you post .. .and you seem a bit agitated so maybe we can chat later ... I am just curious to know what went wrong did you not lose a single pound? I am very surprised that there is nothing that your doctor can do. This scares me beings that I am waiting to be banded.

Toni,

Just out of curiosity, when did you get your band? How many fills have you had? I got mine this past June, and have had two fills. The weight loss initially was fast, but I seem to be stuck,no matter what I do. And speaking of "stuck", I'm also having a lot of trouble with PB'ing. But I know it's all in my mine set and my actions. I MUST force myself to take smaller bites, chew better, and wait before next bites. I refuse to let this thing beat me. I have times when i'm discouraged, but then I sign onto this site, and see others progress, and I get enthused once again. "IF" you dont have it removed, why don't you and I support each other. Yes, we may be slow losers, but at least we'll try together, and hopefully lose together. Good luck to you...in what ever road you take.

Hi Peggy,

I've had my band for 6 months....and it's been very funny. Mostly, I cannot tolerate food, but when I can, I have NO restriction, and can eat "normal" portions with no feeling of satiety. I've had 3 fills and my band has 7 cc's out of 10. I know everyone's different....I just have a "gut" feeling, pardon the pun, that I was never a good candidate for this. I have never had a sweet spot....restriction.....etc. I try to eat properly, yadda yadda, but to no avail.

I really appreciate your gift of support. That means a lot! I think before I pull the plug on this thing I'm first going to get all the saline out and hope the vomiting stops. I just want the quality of my life to improve. :biggrin1:

Thanks again,

Toni

I can't imagine anywhere in the US being affordable considering you'd have the surgeon fee, facility fee, anesthesia fee. I don't agree with Mexico, particularly TJ, but in an emergency (in the event of slippage or erosion) some Mexican doctors could probably do it for a few grand. You can pretty much barter beg & steal in Mexico for anything including surgery.

my dr. in louisville ky. will take it out for $5500.00 that's what he told me when i started having fills. i drive 100 miles to get fills i was banded in mexico. dr. rumbaut. i don't like all the feeling the band gives but i hang in there no sodas ever no bread ever. i eat more than i should have lost 55 lbs. maybe give it a chance i have 3.2 in a 4cc band at first it is tight then slacks off in a week. so i will get a fill dec.27 probably to 3.6.i get food hung go throw it up then eat a sugar free frozen pop cycle or two helps soothe things. then start over later. hot coffee seems to help let you eat when it is to tight. drink half hour before you eat. hope this helps.

If you really cannot get this fickle band to work well for you, can you just be unfilled rather than go through another operation?

It makes sense that removal is expensive too, its the exact same process in reverse, you still have an anaesthetic, recovery, need a hospital bed and you still want the best of care.

Have you tried complete unfilling?

Hi Jacqui,

You are sooooo right! I have an appointment on Monday for a complete unfill. But what scared me was reading posts from this forum of others getting unfilled and still having PBs, etc....I guess I'm expecting the worse BUT hoping for the best. I would rather not have (to pay for) another surgery, but a small part of me would love to get rid of the band and pretend I never had it to start with. Hard to explain....

You, my dear, look GREAT, by the way. Hats off to you! :clap2:

Toni

Joybell.....now we're talking! That's much less expensive than here in Houston. Here I've been quoted $11,500~14,500!!!! I'd LOVE to know the name of your doctor in Louisville incase I ever get desperate!:)

Toni

Good luck, I hope the unfill works. And you might even be lucky enough to tolerate some fill again in the future, its a very strange thing the body.