Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 post op and can drink liquids so well it scares me

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

that could have been lactose intolerance, too - that's not uncommon after surgery.

dumping happens when too much sugar hits the small intestine and your body goes into overdrive to deal with it. It usually causes sweating, rapid heartbeat, flushing, and severe diarrhea - although it can cause nausea and vomiting as well.

From what I understand, dumping can be caused from a variety of factors - food moving too quickly into the intestine, or something that your stomach/intestines do not like - it's commonly sugar, but not necessarily. Nausea, bloating, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramping are all symptoms of early dumping syndrome, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me. I did think about lactose intolerance, but I've been drinking yogurt drinks and eating other kinds of yogurt all week (since the first day post-op - given to me by the doctor in the hospital). I had no issues with those, so it's curious that I had a problem here in Japan. That said, I'm laying off any dairy for at least a week just in case.

I think it may be because I ate it too fast, or my body didn't like the mix (I added some Protein Powder to the yogurt). When I was feeling horrible I also had a little bit of a herbal tea popular here in Japan (that I've been drinking for 6+ years) and that just made my symptoms ten times worse. I didn't know if it was because it just inflamed the problem, or added to it. But today I tried it again and within moments of drinking it my stomach was not happy. So the tea (an oolong blend) was definitely another issue. Luckily I only had a couple of sips and did not eat or drink anything else for the rest of the day (other than water), so although I was uncomfortable for a while, it was nothing like the 5 hours of pain I had last night. I'm disappointed though - one thing I love about Japan is all the non-black teas that are available to drink everywhere (this is definitely not a soda-type of country), but if I can't drink them that will lower my liquid choices down to Water and herbal teas I can make at home.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:48 PM, Krimsonbutterflies said:

Question for all of us, who else in oit group didi tell others or limited pp about their wls?

No one knows about this surgery. I did tell a couple of people about my first surgery back in 2017 just in case something happened to me, but none of them live in Japan. For this surgery I told no one. Luckily I'm on university holidays (which will now be extended until May, due to Covid-19) so I haven't had to miss work for any reason. Most people, including my students, won't have seen me for 3+ months by the time school starts again, so I'm sure people will notice some of the weight loss by then. But since I've done this before, and was very focused on my diet, I think most people will assume that that's what happened again this time.

2 hours ago, MaineDoc said:

It is so interesting how we all experience things so differently.

I’m day 3 post-op and it is legit work for me to get the daily Fluid requirements. Drinking, even relatively small sips, can often lead to it feeling like my stomach and esophagus spasming. I’ve tried fluids at different temperatures-I think warm works the best, but even that’s not perfect. I’ve tried using hyoscyamine which has been somewhat helpful. But even with that I’m having to be exceedingly mindful of how much I’m drinking. Basically I try to make sure I’m drinking at least 2 Dixie cups of Fluid each hour. Usually at first I’m ok but over the course of a couple hours it becomes increasingly uncomfortable.

And in terms of hunger-I have ZERO appetite. I have absolutely no desire to eat or drink. Even seeing my family eat things I’ve historically enjoyed has not tempted me at all. It all just seems so off putting. And as others have experienced it feels like my tastes have changed. I used to genuinely enjoy Protein Shakes, even before I ever started in a weight loss program, but now I find them fairly revolting. I’m drinking them because I have to but it’s not easy.

Anyway just sharing my experience to perhaps provide another data point in the conversation.

@MaineDoc - have you tried some savory Hot Drinks, like Bone Broth or miso Soup? I found them both really helpful when I couldn't stand another glass of Water or Protein Drink. What kind of Protein Drinks are you drinking, pre-made, or ones that you mix yourself? The only Protein powder that I really like, pre- and post-op, is Syntrax. The juices taste like the juice, and the chocolate/vanilla flavours are good and don't seem as false to me as others. That said, with other brands, like Premier Protein, I find the pre-mixed drinks tolerable, but the powders to mix were absolutely horrible - I had to throw out the entire container.

32 minutes ago, biginjapan said:

I'm disappointed though - one thing I love about Japan is all the non-black teas that are available to drink everywhere (this is definitely not a soda-type of country), but if I can't drink them that will lower my liquid choices down to Water and herbal teas I can make at home.

Try again after some weeks. Green tea, black tea, coffee (caffeinated or not)... give it 3 or 4 weeks before trying these.

1 minute ago, summerset said:

Can't wait for my first real coffee after 3 weeks on Wednesday morning, lol.

Fortunately, (or not), I don't drink coffee so this isn't something I've had to deal with. That said, I found it interesting that I was allowed to have coffee on my surgery day, as well as immediately post-op! Even if I did drink it I find the thought of doing so so close to surgery to be off-putting.

It’s mooooondaaaaaaaay.
I’m still trying to work out this sleeve life. I’ve realised I have a habit of snacking while making a meal. This is problematic as I end up completely full from a quarter of the snack. Also I eat the snack super fast. This is problematic as it makes me feel like food is queuing in my throat. Subconscious habits are really quite something!

@biginjapan I can’t wait til 3 months is past and we can hear stories of people marvelling at your hard work!!

I had a coffee the other day and was buzzzzing all day. Hahaha was quite fun. I’m not much of a drinker but I imagine after we hit goal (because we WILL) and have a champagne or so that it will be equally as impactful. Hahahah

@cammy are u feeling better after the weekend? Purée foods hopefully will help.
@krimson are you doing better with Water? It’ll help the poop situation a whole heap. Did you try purées?
I live on purées salmon and cottage cheese and Protein Shakes at the moment. Haha.

@maine i find it interesting about the appetite thing. Yesterday I thought that I was hungry and then I looked at my watch and it was lunch time. I can’t work out if it was my brain or if I’m just very subtly empty of food.

No other news from me really. I have got to stop weighing myself as yesterday u hadn’t lost anything and was feeling stupidly down about it and made a bad food choice which I had to have words to myself about. I did this surgery to succeed and so am going to limit my weigh ins. The other thing that worries me a little is that my big scar (of the 5) is a little bit raised and ugly looking. Am hoping that it’s not a keloid scar and have ordered some silicon bandaid thingys to help.

The other thing I’ve started doing is smothering myself in body oil to try and eventually help the loose skin inevitability. I figured it can’t help. I also read that dry brushing helps stimulate collagen so I bought some dry brushes but haven’t used them. Haha. One thing at a time I guess.

Sending the best success vibes to you all

Xx

@mooki Hi Mooki! I woke up feeling much better today. I rested all day yesterday. I watched Frozen 2 more than once yesterday lol...such a good movie! I think I needed a down day. I too should stop weighing myself every day but it’s just so tempting!! I was finally down another pound this morning, but I agree it’s a total mind F if I don’t lose.

I was also “snacking” throughout the days as I found it difficult at first to eat a meal at once. I was scarfing down food too. So yesterday I consciously made myself aware as I was eating. I made some purée tuna salad and made myself sit down and eat it like a meal. I put my fork down in between my bites and breathed in between bites. You’re so right, unconscious and subconscious habits are tricky to navigate. Even as I was making myself aware yesterday, I still had a couple Of robotic bites- you know not even seeing the food just shoveling it in.
I wish you good luck in your journey ❤️