Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your pre-op diet ? I read somewhere that it was all liquids for 2 weeks prior to surgery but I just checked the paperwork I received from my surgeon and it only says 24 hours prior ? Curious what others did. I'm having DS surgery. Thanks.

I had to do 7 day liquid diet Post OP and 10 days liquid diet after, I doubt you will only have 2 days surgery

Mine was similar to yours - just the day before surgery, with a bowel prep the afternoon before; congratulations - you have found one of the better programs out there. One of the prominent DS docs that I know quite specifically wants his patients as strong and healthy as possible going into surgery, and fasting on one of these diets for weeks ahead of time doesn't do it.

It is not unusual for programs to specify a couple weeks of pre-op diet to help "shrink" the liver, as some surgeons may have problems in that area (while others, such as yours, seem to know how to work in that area without that imposition on the patient.) Some go so far as specifying a liquid only diet for a couple of weeks (or more) and I have never found a good explanation of what that is supposed to do (compared to a more conventional low carb diet). I would avoid programs that go that far.

Thanks. I thought 2 weeks was alot. My surgeon, Dr. Roslin, is supposed to be one of the best and has done a lot of these types of surgery.

Dr. Roslin is one of the good guys - he is on the short list of guys I would be talking to if I lived on the East coast.

Most of the guys that don't do the pre-op thing also tend to have more rapid progressions post op, which usually helps in healing and recovery (we were on mushy and soft foods in the hospital, along with liquids as needed.) Sitting on liquid diets for weeks on end pre- and post-op, the stomach forgets how to do its job and has a harder time re-learning what it is supposed to do. So, it's best to avoid those liquid pre-op diets when we can.

My liquid only phase is only the day before surgery and then the first week post-surgery. Plus I'm to drink Gatorade G2 both during that day before and the morning of surgery.

not all surgeons have the same pre-op diet requirements. Be glad yours is one of the more lenient ones!

I just got out of hospital for a revision to gastric bypass and had no liquids only stage at any point during my pre-op diet (which was, ideally, 3 Protein Drinks a day and one meal with lean Protein, veggies, and good carbs 800-1200 calories a day). The night before surgery I was told to eat a carb-rich meal, like risotto or Pasta, which I did. I have to say I’ve had no adverse effects - I was drinking Water an hour after I got out of surgery (and have been doing 1200mL a day since), have been off pain killers since the first day, and generally feel great and full of energy - even better than my last surgery, so maybe this way of doing things really works.

I had to do the 2 week prep. And then in the hospital the "heaviest" I did eat was cream of wheat. I am 3 days post op some pain especially around the hole where my stomach was pulled out off. But doing well.

Lucky all of you! Wednesday starts my 2 week "milk diet" of either skim milk or Fairlife equivalent (20 ounces 3x a day) plus Bone Broth and drinks under 10 calories. Clear liquids only the day before. Then a 2-2-2 week diet for full liquids, pureed food, and soft foods before trying regular solid food post-surgery. I've been doing Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch with lean meat and steamed veggies dinner for the 3 weeks prior to my liquid diet to help reduce my food dependency. Its UGHs but will be good for me in the long run since I know keeping carb or sugar withdrawal from being paired with surgery will help the mental game.