Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

Newbie here. My surgery is March 10 and I'm starting the liver reduction diet tomorrow. I have a few questions...

Should I start taking bariatric Vitamins now?

Should I reevaluate my anxiety meds due to the possibility of nonabsorption?

What should I bring for recovery? (My surgery's out of state)

What should I expect as far as mobility immediately after surgery?

Thanks in advance!!

Amanda

Hi! Congrats on the date!

Re: Vitamins - I would say hold off. My surgeon made me quit taking them. I guess depending on some of the vitamins contained in it, it can interfere with surgery. *shrugs*

I would ask the doctor who prescribes the anxiety meds to see if there are alternatives or if it is going to affect you. Are you bypass or sleeve? That makes a difference, too.

I'm still pre-op (Feb 25th), but I packed a bag with my daily meds, a couple changes of underwear, a dress to leave the hospital in, a robe, some slippers, a couple of my Protein Drinks because I don't know what options they will have, charger for phone and a laptop, and a small travel pillow. I may be overprepared, but I'd rather have too much than too little.

Can't answer the mobility question - yet - but I will get back with you Tuesday! They WILL get you up and walking shortly after your surgery (or so I have been told and have seen posted on here). So I imagine mobility is not terrible. But again, I will update as I go!

Good luck! 👍

I would ask your doctor's office about the Vitamins and the medications.

Re; what I brought; A robe, earplugs and ear phones, phone and charger, e-reader, couple of magazines, eye mask, change of clothes with comfy yoga pants and an oversized sweater. Also I brought my own face cream, body cream and dry Shampoo, of course toothbrush, hairbrush, etc. You can't take a shower for a few days, and the dry shampoo was nice to have. If you are staying in a hotel for a couple of days make sure you bring really comfortable stretchy pants, as the incision sites may be uncomfortable if anything is rubbing against them. Also, if you don't like certain kinds of Protein drinks you may want to bring your own, but for the first few days you really need to hydrate more than worry about protein (as I learned the hard way when I got dehydrated!)

I had surgery at 4:30 pm, got to my room around 7:30 pm and was up and walking the halls at 9:00 pm. The nurses really encourage you to get up and move to get the gas moving. I had blessedly little pain, so I did not take anything other than Tylenol and motrin after the recovery room. I'm sure if you are on heavier meds that may effect your mobility.

Best of luck! Let us know how you are doing!

Edited by lisafrommassachusetts

I started taking Vitamins during my six-month supervised diet since my dietitian wanted me to get used to taking them (but I think it was just the multi she had me taking, now that I think of it...), but most surgeons, regardless of the surgery, will have you stop taking vitamins and any non-prescription meds a week or two before surgery. I had to stop taking them before both of my plastic surgery procedures, too - evidently some can thin the blood too much, which can interfere with the surgery.

as for your anxiety meds (or any other prescription med), ask your doctor.

Definitely ask your medical team about Vitamins and other medications. My team had me take my bariatric vitamins pre-op to test them out, others wait until post-op to start them.

You don't need much for recovery. How long will you be out of state? And will you have someone with you who can shop for you? Hospital: You only need the comfy pair of clothes that you wore to the hospital to get you home. I also brought a pair of shorts. And I had a small firm pillow that I left in our car for the ride home. I didn't use ANYTHING else I brought to the hospital lol. OK... maybe my phone and charger, but that is it. Afterwards you need your Clear Liquids or full liquids depending on what the doc sends you home with. My doc sent me home with clear liquids, but for him he added my Protein Shakes. broth and tea are great post op, as are Jello and popsicles. I don't think I had anything else the first couple days post op. Bring any of your prescription medications with you, then your doc will send you home with a bunch more for pain/nausea/stomach protection etc. Some docs will give you liquid medications post op (including your normal prescriptions). My doc only gave me a couple liquid prescriptions, the rest were pill form. I couldn't swallow any large pills, but had no problem with small pills. I had 1 pill I had to break in half... so make sure all your medications can be broken in half if you have larger pills.

You will definitely be told to stop most if not all your medications the morning of surgery. You may be asked to stop some longer. Anything potentially blood thinning you will stop a couple weeks before surgery (Aspirin/NSAIDS and such usually). But each doc is different. I only took a medication for my heart rate the morning of surgery. Most everything else I took until the day before surgery. But there were some meds I don't take routinely that I was told to stop before that.

Edited by momof3_angels

6 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

Definitely ask your medical team about Vitamins and other medications. My team had me take my bariatric Vitamins pre-op to test them out, others wait until post-op to start them.

You don't need much for recovery. How long will you be out of state? And will you have someone with you who can shop for you? Hospital: You only need the comfy pair of clothes that you wore to the hospital to get you home. I also brought a pair of shorts. And I had a small firm pillow that I left in our car for the ride home. I didn't use ANYTHING else I brought to the hospital lol. OK... maybe my phone and charger, but that is it. Afterwards you need your clear liquids or full liquids depending on what the doc sends you home with. My doc sent me home with clear liquids, but for him he added my Protein Shakes. broth and tea are great post op, as are Jello and popsicles. I don't think I had anything else the first couple days post op. Bring any of your prescription medications with you, then your doc will send you home with a bunch more for pain/nausea/stomach protection etc. Some docs will give you liquid medications post op (including your normal prescriptions). My doc only gave me a couple liquid prescriptions, the rest were pill form. I couldn't swallow any large pills, but had no problem with small pills. I had 1 pill I had to break in half... so make sure all your medications can be broken in half if you have larger pills.

You will definitely be told to stop most if not all your medications the morning of surgery. You may be asked to stop some longer. Anything potentially blood thinning you will stop a couple weeks before surgery (Aspirin/NSAIDS and such usually). But each doc is different. I only took a medication for my heart rate the morning of surgery. Most everything else I took until the day before surgery. But there were some meds I don't take routinely that I was told to stop before that.

Thanks for all tje advice! I'll be oitnofntown a week and my brother is going with me. Super excited!

On 2/23/2020 at 9:14 PM, TheAngryMeow said:

Hi! Congrats on the date!

Re: Vitamins - I would say hold off. My surgeon made me quit taking them. I guess depending on some of the Vitamins contained in it, it can interfere with surgery. *shrugs*

I would ask the doctor who prescribes the anxiety meds to see if there are alternatives or if it is going to affect you. Are you bypass or sleeve? That makes a difference, too.

I'm still pre-op (Feb 25th), but I packed a bag with my daily meds, a couple changes of underwear, a dress to leave the hospital in, a robe, some slippers, a couple of my Protein Drinks because I don't know what options they will have, charger for phone and a laptop, and a small travel pillow. I may be overprepared, but I'd rather have too much than too little.

Can't answer the mobility question - yet - but I will get back with you Tuesday! They WILL get you up and walking shortly after your surgery (or so I have been told and have seen posted on here). So I imagine mobility is not terrible. But again, I will update as I go!

Good luck! 👍

Thanks!! Good luck today cant wait to hear from you and how you're doing!

As far as mobility after surgery, as soon as you are allowed to, get out of bed get up and start walking that way you can get the air out of your body from your laparoscopic surgery.