Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op

Coming on to my fourth day post op after having sleeve surgery done on 2/18/20. Curious as to a few things. I’m not very hungry at all until I overthink it, I am a very tall large younger man and my suggested intake of Protein just seems unrealistic. I have only been able to drink at tops 2 Protein Shakes for a total of 60 grams of protein. I’m doing my best to stay hydrated but I can’t only drink one ounce at a time, is that rule ok to be broken I feel like an ounce doesn’t even coat my mouth before swallowing.
My incision sites have all been healing pretty well but the largest one the skin around it is turning black and blue as if it was bruised. Is that normal or did that happen to anyone else? My stomach feels sore especially in that one spot otherwise not too bad seems to be getting slightly better day by day.
one final thing....when will I go the bathroom? I have a ton of gas but havnt had the call to go.

thank you so much, amazing to find a community like this and be on this journey with you all.

thank you,

Michael

Edited by Ire
Typos

Coming on to my fourth day post op after having sleeve surgery done on 2/18/20. Curious as to a few things. I’m not very hungry at all until I overthink it, I am a very tall large younger man and my suggested intake of Protein just seems unrealistic. I have only been able to drink at tops 2 Protein Shakes for a total of 60 grams of Protein. I’m doing my best to stay hydrated but I can’t only drink one ounce at a time, is that rule ok to be broken I feel like an ounce doesn’t even coat my mouth before swallowing.
My incision sites have all been healing pretty well but the largest one the skin around it is turning black and blue as if it was bruised. Is that normal or did that happen to anyone else? My stomach feels sore especially in that one spot otherwise not too bad seems to be getting slightly better day by day.
one final thing....when will I go the bathroom? I have a ton of gas but havnt had the call to go.
thank you so much, amazing to find a community like this and be on this journey with you all.
thank you,
Michael

Hi Michael! Seems like you're doing well!! My surgeon told me for the first week or two to mainly focus on hydration and not to worry too much about the Protein Shakes, so I'd maybe ask yours about how many you have to drink the first couple weeks. I also did bruise around the same incision as you did, and it still healed well (I think it's just bruised from the stomach coming out of it during surgery). As for going number 2, I think I was about 6 days out when I was finally able to go. Remember you've only been taking in liquids so it's not too unusual but if you need definitely take a stool softener or laxative. Best of luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

The first week is about healing. I sipped Water and my Ensure Max. I believe I only did one a day, so you're doing great! Don't push it focus on moving, sipping and feeling better. Good luck with your journey. I'm 7 months into it now and I'm thrilled with the results. Keep in touch as you'll have questions!

The incision that is bruised is where they took the piece of your stomach out. Talk to your doctor about what types of things to take to help you go such as stool softener (colace), Miralax, milk of magnesia, etc. Your intestines are in slow motion due to the anesthesia and pain meds. Also you aren't eating very much either which doesn't help.

My physician's office had me take Miralax. That helped a lot.

it takes a lot of us a week or so to "go", so that's normal. You're "eating" mostly liquid, so there's not much in there. Plus like someone else said, some kinds of pain meds can influence that as well.

Most of us lose our hunger for several months, so that's not unusual, either (I was hoping mine would never come back, but alas, it did - at about five months out)

bruising around the incision sites is also normal.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:54 PM, Ire said:

Coming on to my fourth day post op after having sleeve surgery done on 2/18/20. Curious as to a few things. I’m not very hungry at all until I overthink it, I am a very tall large younger man and my suggested intake of Protein just seems unrealistic. I have only been able to drink at tops 2 Protein Shakes for a total of 60 grams of Protein. I’m doing my best to stay hydrated but I can’t only drink one ounce at a time, is that rule ok to be broken I feel like an ounce doesn’t even coat my mouth before swallowing.

thank you,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I agree that you should focus more on hydration as opposed to protein intake in the beginning. I would suggest talking to your surgeon/dietician about the shakes because I started with Clear Liquids for the first few weeks. There are protein waters that you can use as your stomach heals. I also had trouble with thirst in the beginning and felt like I was drinking too much. Be careful and try to measure because I have thrown up from drinking too much too fast.

I had one incision site that really hurt and looked bruised. The surgeon said that is usually the site of the port where they remove your stomach. It gets better though.

Good luck!

M-

I was strictly on clear liquids for the first week. I had to use laxatives for the first couple weeks every few days to keep things going. I was given a script at the hospital. Now I use a product called Jarrows Gentle Fibers that I add to a morning Protein smoothie to keep myself naturally regular without popping laxatives. There are also low-cal/low-carb wraps that you can find at the stores that contain decent amounts of Fiber in them.

Week 2 or 3 they put me on soft foods, until 3 months post surgery. Then I can transition to regular foods (I kinda am already....just using a food processor when needed). But I micromanage the hell outta my diet with the baritastic app.

Edited by mike2019

Just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to reply and give me advice/personal perspectives on everything means the world not being alone in this. I decided to just focus on hydration like recommended, not coming even close to the Protein rate but will keep working up to it. I was also able to use the bathroom the night I made my previous post and again since then so that is working well again. Right now my biggest thing is just wanting something that has flavor and taste. Officially at my one week mark and going. Hopefully these next two weeks wont feel too long.

Much love everyone,

Michael

When I got to full liquids week 2, I put cream of chicken Soup in a blender and had it. Actually the chicken pieces are so small I'm not sure I had to blend it, but the creamy chicken was so wonderful. That was my drink of choice for a week. It was warm and chickeny. After a week of clear liquids then 2 weeks of full liquids, I was on to softs for 3 weeks. Cottage cheese cups, mash potato cups, and Protein Drinks at this point made up my food.

My doctor told me that the newer research is showing that Protein intake is much less of an issue with a gastric sleeve.

With a bypass it removes a part of the system that is responsible for protein absorption so there has to be a real focus on getting enough protein because of that. With a sleeve the area responsible for protein absorption is still there.

All the guidelines for protein intake have been based on bypass surgery.