Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oatmeal and Cream of Wheat as a breakfast food

I am almost 2 years out and have seriously stalled! So disappointed in myself. Went to Italy and actually gained 8 pounds. Now I am trying to get back in to the groove of my eating. My question for everyone is would Cream of Wheat and/or oatmeal (with Stevia) be a good Breakfast? I get tired of eating an egg. Also not supposed to have a lot of bacon so need something else to take its place. Thanks for all that respond.

@Ginanatucci

Glad you enjoyed your time in Italy. You are almost two years out. Do you need to work off just the 8 pounds? Or do you need to lose more than that?

Five year out, All I can offer is what works for me.

If you need to lose more than 8 pounds - Go back to bariatric basics. Eat the food on your dietitians plan, hydrate, log food in an app and exercise

If you are maintaining and need to work off an 8 pound gain - Log and stay with in your dieticians weight loss calories and macros My carbs are around 55 to 66 grams. Yes, I have a half a cup of of whole grain oats. I make sure my carbs hit my range for the day.

google bariatric friendly recipes. It may help if you are in a food rut.

I think they're healthy, although they do have some carbs, but they're definitely not a poor choice.

I will occasionally eat cream of wheat if I am at the end of the day and not close to my calorie count.

My disclaimer for anyone asking if they can eat certain foods: Trust your medical professionals advice before anyone's opinion on this site - Eat whats on your plan and stay with in your weight loss or maintenance calories. It does not matter what they are doing or if their plan looks different.

If you are in Weight loss phase - Follow your dietitians food plan. (If its not on your plan don't eat it)

If you are on maintenance = follow your dietitians food plan -- Low glycemic carbs are added to your diet to slow stop weight loss

if you're on a low carb diet, then no. If not, then it's fine - as long as you watch your portion size and log it. You might want to mix some Protein Powder into it, though. I used to have it occasionally once I hit maintenance (never ate it while I was in weight loss mode), but I always added Protein powder to it.