Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I messed up last night and ate chocolate. Im 5 weeks post op.

It did make me feel sick after and i didnt finish it and threw it in the bin. I guess i just wanted to admit it publically so i dont feel so guilty. I dont want to eat high sugar foods like i used to, and want to nip this behaviour in the bud pronto. Anyone relate?

I drank alcohol 3 weeks after my surgery and felt like crap about it. Youll feel liike you messed up a lot of times during this journey you just have to accept the fact you did it, take responsibility, and move on. Thats what i have to do, im still very hard on myself with certain things but when i get back on track im good. ☺️

Every time you fail there is a lesson to learn - new insights into behavior, figuring out ways to avoid temptation, learning how to redirect emotional eating, etc. Failure means there is still work to do and you can use this as an opportunity to grow and learn from the mistake. For example, the 2nd time I got sick after eating drive through french fries (after long bike rides), I figured out that I was craving salt and needed to rethink my hydration strategy. I found an electrolyte replacement that works well and I never crave salt anymore. Another example - sometimes I am sorely tempted by treats at work - especially when there is just a little bit of something left. I have "finished it off" more than a few times. Now, rather than eat "my share" I now throw it in the garbage bin (when no one is looking, of course). It is a strategy that I have pre-planned to change my thought pattern. Another example - Sometmes I am really hungry when I leave work, and can chow down on unhealthy choices the minute I get home. Now I always have a Protein Shake in the car to drink so I am not ravenous when I walk in the door. Mistakes and failures are the fertile soil in which success springs up! Never feel guilty for slipping - just turn it into a positive learning experience.

Think about what triggered you to eat the chocolate. Were you emotional about something? Were you hungry or tired? Where did it happen and what was the circumstance? Is it something you had a home or were you elsewhere? Were you alone or with someone? Once you figure out what triggered the behavior, you can make a plan to ensure success next time.

Remember that any one of us can fall into the pit, given a moment of weakness combined with temptation. We have to set up guard rails that either 1) keep us strong (like having a Protein shake in the car) or 2) keep us back from the edge of temptation (not having chocolate in the house).

It's okay, just don't do it again. I'm battling a chocolate addiction myself.

I am a complete sugar addict, even sugar free triggers me and I just need to stay away from it :(

There are no mistakes...just lessons

just keep in mind that surgery is your last chance. No one goes into this without trying pretty everything else first. Don't blow your big chance - this is the best opportunity you'll ever have to lose weight. Now - forgive yourself and move on.

Think of it this way

Knowing you "messed up" is one-half of the solution that will help you avoid a repeat event.

37 minutes ago, VIN_IN_AL said:

Think of it this way

Knowing you "messed up" is one-half of the solution that will help you avoid a repeat event.

Love this! So true.

Sunday just passed I had 1/2 of a hostess cupcake.

You've messed up if you repeatedly make the same mistake. Your body will also teach you a lesson...I was super sick for 2 hrs after that cupcake lol.

You don't fail if you don't quit though.

No one will do this perfectly! We will all have our stumbles, and feeling that regret tells us that we still have the most important goal in mind - changing our habits and living a longer, happier life!