Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yeah I have never experienced anything like the gerd that I had before revision. I would have acidic Fluid streaming from my nose and mouth. Was so bad a few times that I lost my voice.

I guess surgeons are all different about ppis. Mine is against them completely.

i was so nervous about the ppis that I was supposed to take them for 3 weeks after revision. I didn’t experience any gerd symptoms so I just didn’t take them. I had already been on them for more than 1 year after my sleeve surgery.

Edited by Losingit2018

I cannot wait for this to be done.
I never feel well due to this acid reflux

If it’s not covered I’m unsure what I can do. I have to wait till March either way. It’s when they have availability

I had revision last year for severe GERD. Miserable was an understatement. Since revising I still have excruciating heartburn if I don’t take meds both morning and night. When I weigh out all pros and cons of my WLS experience overall, I would never have had it in the first place. My original weight was not nearly an obstacle compared to how the GERD holds me hostage now. So I also say, “good luck...but don’t get your hopes up.”

10 minutes ago, wendyjane69 said:

I had revision last year for severe GERD. Miserable was an understatement. Since revising I still have excruciating heartburn if I don’t take meds both morning and night. When I weigh out all pros and cons of my WLS experience overall, I would never have had it in the first place. My original weight was not nearly an obstacle compared to how the GERD holds me hostage now. So I also say, “good luck...but don’t get your hopes up.”

What did you start with and what did you revise to? Have they been able to explain why you are still experiencing such terrible gerd?

11 minutes ago, wendyjane69 said:

So sorry it did not work for you. Luckily this is not very common when revising to full bypass. Which surgery did you revise to?

Revision seems to be a common thread around here and I’ve always wondered if it’s so doctors can get two surgeries in instead of going straight to RNY??

1 hour ago, kglowins said:

What did you start with and what did you revise to? Have they been able to explain why you are still experiencing such terrible gerd?

Agreed. Wow! Btw. Just because you have issues doesn’t mean you wish it upon others. He was also talking about my insurance carrier which can be a pita.
My doctor Stated results are great with revision. Did you have lapband?
and you’re kidding you’d prefer being overweight and possibly unhealthy then now?

2 hours ago, GettinSkinnywithit said:

Revision seems to be a common thread around here and I’ve always wondered if it’s so doctors can get two surgeries in instead of going straight to RNY??

I think it's because a lot of patients want the sleeve nowadays because they feel it's less "invasive" (although I'm not sure I agree with that - removing 80% of one's stomach seems pretty invasive to ME....). They know about the GERD risk, but then you never know who's going to get it and who won't. And...some people get it. And I don't think some realize how awful it can be, especially if they've never had it before. I had it before I had surgery, so there's no way I wanted to risk it getting any worse - because I KNOW how awful GERD can be!

17 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I think it's because a lot of patients want the sleeve nowadays because they feel it's less "invasive" (although I'm not sure I agree with that - removing 80% of one's stomach seems pretty invasive to ME....). They know about the GERD risk, but then you never know who's going to get it and who won't. And...some people get it. And I don't think some realize how awful it can be, especially if they've never had it before. I had it before I had surgery, so there's no way I wanted to risk it getting any worse - because I KNOW how awful GERD can be!

AGREED!!! :) I had it many years, along with my pregnancies too!! It came and went - never big issue - then little before surgery I was getting it - put on PPI's and kept on them till after surgery - I'm still on them all these years and it just never goes away - so now I'm up to 2 RX pills per day - protonix as well as Prevacid at night time until surgery - just to try and keep it at bay.. I've tried ACV too - seemed to help a little, as a natural thing - I've tried all different things and end up back on PPIs and I just turned 52, I do not want to take 2 pills per day for another 30-40 years, God willing.. It's horrendous being on vacation and having to not go anywhere, cause my chest is killing me... I've had so many work ups and it comes back to the belly/sleeve issue - I also need a umbilical hernia repaired and they won't do it right now, but possibly do it within the revision surgery, surgeon said. They don't want to do it and repair it if I'm not getting the revision, due to weight gain, etc... so I think they're thinking to do it at one time and then I have a better chance of the hernia not coming back .... One can hope! :)

May I ask, for those who’ve had to revise due to GERD... was that obvious directly following sleeve surgery, or did it take months or years to manifest? I’m curious because while I had acid reflux from time to time at my heaviest I haven’t experienced much that the occasional Tums can’t sort, in the six months since getting sleeved. Curious if it’s something that comes later. Thanks!

24 minutes ago, darcyjae said:

May I ask, for those who’ve had to revise due to GERD... was that obvious directly following sleeve surgery, or did it take months or years to manifest? I’m curious because while I had acid reflux from time to time at my heaviest I haven’t experienced much that the occasional Tums can’t sort, in the six months since getting sleeved. Curious if it’s something that comes later. Thanks!

I'm not a revision patient, but yes - I've heard of people that developed GERD months - or even a couple years - after sleeve surgery.

5 hours ago, darcyjae said:

It was not right away for me. It gradually crept up on me about 1 year after surgery. I was on omneprazole so that may have kept it at bay. I had never had a single instance of gerd before my sleeve.