Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Light headed when getting up anybody?

So im 6 months post surgery and doing really well. BUT every time ive been laying down and get up, I get really really dizzy. I usually have to sit in a chair a few steps away for about 30 seconds until my head evens out. Any ideas what this is? Is there anything that I can do about it?

It's called orthostatic hypotension. You have to get up slowly - sit at the side of the bed for a minute before standing. It is not unusual after WLS, but be sure to tell your doctor about it, The first recommendation will be to make sure you are getting all your fluids in. Are you measuring and getting at least 64 oz per day? Dehydration will cause symptoms like this every time.

I had the same and even vertigo one morning upon waking! I know what it was - I hadn’t completed my 64 oz of liquids the day before - probably about 35 ozs! Yikes. I learned my lesson - drink drink drink!

Yes, mine is bad the last couple days. Drink lots of Fluid, get up slower, and let the doc know! I also get it more after taking a hot bath.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

9 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

Yes, mine is bad the last couple days. Drink lots of Fluid, get up slower, and let the doc know! I also get it more after taking a hot bath.

The hot bath will cause vaso dilation and it will take a bit longer for the blood to get up to your head.

hmmm...never considered dehydration since i feel like im constantly drinking something. I will have to try measuring it out then.

The hot bath will cause vaso dilation and it will take a bit longer for the blood to get up to your head.
Yes, I am aware ;) Just stating that is worse too since surgery, especially when I am not well hydrated.

I'm not a doctor so this is just my experience. When this happened to me, it was because I was taking BP meds. Since I had lost quite a bit of weight, I no longer needed these BP meds. They weaned me off of the BP meds, and problem was solved.

Good luck to you. I hope you get answers quickly and start feeling better.

I started getting dizzy when laying down or rising from bed at about week two after my sleeve. It has gradually gotten better so now at 1 month it's pretty much gone.

I am light headed quite a bit but it’s when I am walking or standing for a long time. I had this some times before surgery but now it is all the time

Could be dehydration. At least that's what I found is the cause with me.

I had this problem but it wasn’t dehydration...must have been low electrolytes. I was drinking lots of Water and water only. Adding a Gatorade zero/propel water daily did the trick!

2 hours ago, Stella84 said:

I had this problem but it wasn’t dehydration...must have been low electrolytes. I was drinking lots of Water and Water only. Adding a Gatorade zero/propel water daily did the trick!

Good idea. I think that's something I need to do as well. At least it will be another flavor to add to the mix.