Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

Hope that the holidays are joyous.

I need some help getting back on track.

I had gastric sleeve in 2015 and lost over 100 pounds. I started excercising, was doing really well until this year. I ended up having some serious joint pain issues and started on prednisone. That med worked wonders for reducing the inflammation in my joints BUT it made me feel as hungry as a pregnant cow....and I craved sweets. I ate. This coupled with getting married and now going through a divorce...has has me stress eating. My lowest weight was 168 and now I am at 205. I started at 300. I refuse to gain anymore weight back. This has been the HARDEST time in my life to loose this extra weight. Anyone over 4 years out have any tips for when hunger returns? After year four from getting sleeved my hunger just all of a sudden returned. And then the medication didn't help. Also going through the marital stress was another factor. I've REcommitted myself to getting back on track. I even went to the weight loss doctor for help with food cravings. Y'all tell me what works for you and help me with your tips.

Thanks

I hear you. The stress and life events are definite triggers for everyone. Im not anywhere near to 4 years out, but I'm trying to reign in my own emotional eating right now due to my own events.

Why not start back on food journaling with a little emotional journaling as well? This was my New Year's Resolution last year and it's been the only resolution that I've ever kept. Notice that I didn't say that I was "dieting", I was just writing down what I ate and thinking a little bit about it. I cant say that Ive been perfect doing this, but at least I look at it once a week to write down my weight and thoughts. Just the writing it down part helped me forgive myself a bit which was the start of getting on track.

Can you walk comfortably? Ive heard recently that walking is better than any other type of exercise. Not to mention exercise helps keep the hunger in check. Maybe Water aerobics and/or swimming is in the cards for you if you can't walk without pain.

Why not use Meal Replacement shakes or bars to be your go to depression foods? At the very least meal replacement shakes are great for when you're on the go or when you would feel guilty for eating other crap. Even more so when you don't trust yourself to choose something good for yourself. I water mine down 50/50 so as not to get that super sweet taste. If you are craving sweets why not try a meal replacement bar instead. (Even a good naval orange can get you over the hump. How did I not know that naval oranges didn't have seeds?!? duh) Getting off the sugar is like getting of a drug, but if you can do it you should. Sugar (and sweetener) sets our blood sugar on a roller coaster ride.

So, that's what Im doing right now. I totally hear you on this. Life has a way of throwing sh*te at us when we really don't need it. Hang in there.

go back to what you did the first year or two post-surgery (NOT all the way back to liquids, but Protein first, then veggies, and then, if you have room left, a small serving of fruit or "good" carb (like whole grains)). Measure and weigh things so you know exactly how much you're eating. And track everything. Regular exercise is good, too, if you're not doing that already.

I still weigh myself every day and track everything that goes into my mouth (I'm 4.5 years out). When I stop monitoring for more than a few days, my weight starts heading north. It's a constant battle, but do-able..

4 hours ago, Peacefullyhealthy1 said:

Hi everyone,

Hope that the holidays are joyous.

I need some help getting back on track.

I had gastric sleeve in 2015 and lost over 100 pounds. I started excercising, was doing really well until this year. I ended up having some serious joint pain issues and started on prednisone. That med worked wonders for reducing the inflammation in my joints BUT it made me feel as hungry as a pregnant cow....and I craved sweets. I ate. This coupled with getting married and now going through a divorce...has has me stress eating. My lowest weight was 168 and now I am at 205. I started at 300. I refuse to gain anymore weight back. This has been the HARDEST time in my life to loose this extra weight. Anyone over 4 years out have any tips for when hunger returns? After year four from getting sleeved my hunger just all of a sudden returned. And then the medication didn't help. Also going through the marital stress was another factor. I've REcommitted myself to getting back on track. I even went to the weight loss doctor for help with food cravings. Y'all tell me what works for you and help me with your tips.

Thanks

Visit your Surgeon, they can definitely help get you back on the path and for moral support through heartbreak listen to Christina:

1520320240_Screenshot_2019-12-16-14-12-162.thumb.png.ea17e75fca47e2f577370ab98259ce07.png

Good Luck 💚

Edited by GreenTealael

Greetings everyone. Thanks so much for your support (feedback and useful suggestions).

It's good to learn what has worked for others. I've started using the tip about making Protein Bars and Protein Shakes my comfort foods. Actually mixing a 30gram Protein Shake 3 carbs and 160 calories with black coffee and ice now. Telling myself it's a great treat!!!

I also like the idea of going back to what worked in the beginning. Being slack or taking a break monitoring how I'm feeling and what I am eating hasn't been good. But I will change that by monitoring much more closely..sticking with Protein first then veggies.

I got one of those coolers and our oranges, waters and protein shakes in it so I have it with me in the car...gives me no excuse to make a healthy food choice.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely appreciate your input. I see that this is something we got to stay vigilant about. Health is wealth.

I'm getting back on track.